Belichick has only one active QB

Albany,n.y.

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Would love to see it.

Really looking forward to the Dolphins vs. Patriots week one game. Somebody's got to lose! Tua has some pretty good skill players now but I still think he is going to struggle against the Patriots D.  Even without Gilmore. 

As for Mac Jones. Freaking Dolphins D better not let him have a decent game. New England will probably just run it anyway though. Mac will have like 18-20 pass attempts.

Who's even going to run for them, though? Their backs have been pretty lame since Michel fizzled out after his rookie year, and now he's gone. Burkhead's gone for whatever he was worth. I guess 30 year old James White and Damien Harris? Harris is alright but he's definitely not a bell cow that can carry a team, he may not even be top 30.

It's just a bad team top to bottom right now. 

8 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

And yet, injuries including at the QB position are a fact of life, and those teams who have cultivated some decent depth will be unquestionably better off when the time comes…see Bills with Trubisky, who arguably will be a starter again next year somewhere. Hostetler & Foles even won Super Bowls as backups who had to step in during those years—to say nothing of Reich, who engineered the greatest comeback in NFL history as a career backup…

Right , having that much confidence in your rookie QB in addition to the apparent confidence that he couldn’t possibly get injured, that you don’t care about signing a backup with apparently any value? It makes me wonder if they have a weird mutation of Peterman overconfidence syndrome but realize pats* are always right , me not so much.  So I will try to let Ghost bask in his glory for the time being anyway.  

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I don't know of any team doing what NE is doing-having their 2nd string QB on the practice squad with only 1 QB on the 53 man roster.  Hoyer's not being re-signed like the Bills did with Freguson.  BB did the same thing with his PKs part of last season, calling them up from the PS on game days & not having them on the 53 man roster.  He doesn't have to be on the 53 man roster to be active on gameday, they just need to use one of his call ups, but if it's the same as last year each practice squad player is oly eligible to be called up to a certain amount of games.  After NE uses up Hoyer's call ups he will either have to be added to the 53 or they'll have to get more PS QBs if Gilbert uses up his call ups too.   

You can only do it twice per player. It isn't cheating. It is within the rules. Just nobody else would do it because they don't wanna risk their backup.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

Who's even going to run for them, though? Their backs have been pretty lame since Michel fizzled out after his rookie year, and now he's gone. Burkhead's gone for whatever he was worth. I guess 30 year old James White and Damien Harris? Harris is alright but he's definitely not a bell cow that can carry a team, he may not even be top 30.

It's just a bad team top to bottom right now. 

Hmmmnn.  They've got a great group of TE's and a nice stable of RBs.  Good defense too.  I mean I still think we win the division, but I expect the Pats to make the playoffs if Mac Jones plays average ball.

You are selling Harris short.  700 yards in 10 games and a 5.0 ypc.  He's a top tier runner.  And Stevenson has looked great in preseason.  They'll make Jones's life much easier.  Just run play action off that.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It means their backups are so bad they aren’t worth a roster spot on 31 other teams and willing to accept PS money. 

Or Kraft found a way to give Hoyer money under the table.

Anyone want some BH#5 juice or bars - 100% all natural - we accidentally bought 10,000 cases at $1000 a case and found out they were horrible.  Oh well I guess Hoyer will get the 10 million - AW shucks it was an honest investment opportunity.

😂

10 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He has his 2 backups on the practice squad & will probably keep them there until he uses up the callups on Hoyer.  He also has Garrett Gilbert on the PS after Dallas let him go.  

Not surprising that he has pulled off another legal way of getting around roster limits. 

Genius!  Now he can add another running back. 4-D chess!

5 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Mac Jones found Brady's old Exempt from Physical Contact by Order of NFL Officiating Office badge. It doesn't expire until 2037 so Bill doesn't need a backup for a while

And his special helmet radio that tells him who's open.

10 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

Who cares about a teams backup?? No coach wants to leave theirs teams destiny in the hands of a backup.

So...

Yeah, kind of a useless discussion.  Watch out for the Pats, Mac Jones has looked very good with the starters and McDaniels will coach him up well.   

I know everyone is expecting a SB, but Pats will be a very different team than the Bills saw last year.   Jets will be better, Phins will be tough,.   Nothing is a given in the NFL.  They will need to compete for every win they get this year.  Go Bills. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Yeah, kind of a useless discussion.  Watch out for the Pats, Mac Jones has looked very good with the starters and McDaniels will coach him up well.   

I know everyone is expecting a SB, but Pats will be a very different team than the Bills saw last year.   Jets will be better, Phins will be tough,.   Nothing is a given in the NFL.  They will need to compete for every win they get this year.  Go Bills. 

My main point. its not even about BB and the pats, just a general statement. Not saying, not having a backup isn't important

And really about BB the man has been coaching since the 70s like do people honestly think he has no idea what a 53 man roster should consists of??

9 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Is there anything BB does that you won't defend?

Please tell me what he is doing wrong in this scenario ?

Edited by Ghost_002!

9 hours ago, Nelius said:

The Patriots are going to be so awful this year. This is not a case of Belicheat turning absolutely nothing into a pesky playoff bubble team, this is the bottom falling out. I bet they finish behind the Jets.

Lets not get carried away.  Their defense will still be tough and it will keep them in games.  I expect the Pats to continue to lean on a heavy run game.  I think much like last year they will need to sustain 10+ play drives to put points on the board which is not easy in this league.  I anticipate the Pats will beat a lot of bad and middling teams but struggle to keep up with elite offenses.

Cam is completely shot.  I can't believe they let him finish the season last year.  Mac Jones has a Rodgers/Allen type arm compared to Cam.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, goober said:

Right , having that much confidence in your rookie QB in addition to the apparent confidence that he couldn’t possibly get injured, that you don’t care about signing a backup with apparently any value? It makes me wonder if they have a weird mutation of Peterman overconfidence syndrome but realize pats* are always right , me not so much.  So I will try to let Ghost bask in his glory for the time being anyway.  

What is there to "bask in?"

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2021/09/01/brian-hoyer-patriots/

Patriots re-sign QB Brian Hoyer to back up Mac Jones

The Patriots announced they’ve re-signed quarterback Brian Hoyer on Wednesday, one day after cutting the 12-year veteran.

The move to cut Hoyer was procedural, and multiple reporters correctly predicted the Patriots planned to bring him back 

I swear people don't care to think. They have their backup...he wasn't going into the season without one.