Belichick has only one active QB

Albany,n.y.

He has his 2 backups on the practice squad & will probably keep them there until he uses up the callups on Hoyer.  He also has Garrett Gilbert on the PS after Dallas let him go.  

Not surprising that he has pulled off another legal way of getting around roster limits. 

8 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He has his 2 backups on the practice squad & will probably keep them there until he uses up the callups on Hoyer.  He also has Garrett Gilbert on the PS after Dallas let him go.  

Not surprising that he has pulled off another legal way of getting around roster limits. 

I mean, every team in the league could do that if you want your backup QB to be someone no one else in the league wants to sign in preference to their own backup QB

2 minutes ago, goober said:

Is that strategically getting around limits or having garbage backup QBs 

Snap

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beating them again this year will be fun.

I think there is a good chance that the bloom will be off the Hoodie rose by seasons end. 
   NES drafting hasn’t been All That for a while and I’m not buying the pervasive opinion that he is smarter than everyone else. 
   MJ might not be trash but he certainly isn’t a treasure either.  And Gilbert????  Hoyer???? Puleeeeze😵

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Zero chance Hoyer isn't on the active roster by game day. He's just not cutting players subject to waivers for now. Every team does it. 

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Pats claimed WR Malcolm Perry.  He played QB for Navy and converted to WR.  He could play QB in a pinch.

It you are an military academy quarterback you did not throw many passes. I'm sorry, I an retired military and watched many inter service games, they are not prepping you to be an NFL QB.

Edited by Coastie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_002! said:

Who cares about a teams backup?? No coach wants to leave theirs teams destiny in the hands of a backup.

So...

Ok no need for a backup QB in NE. Got it.  Odd question but did one of your top 2 gunners ever play QB in college? Just curious.  

47 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Zero chance Hoyer isn't on the active roster by game day. He's just not cutting players subject to waivers for now. Every team does it. 

I don't know of any team doing what NE is doing-having their 2nd string QB on the practice squad with only 1 QB on the 53 man roster.  Hoyer's not being re-signed like the Bills did with Freguson.  BB did the same thing with his PKs part of last season, calling them up from the PS on game days & not having them on the 53 man roster.  He doesn't have to be on the 53 man roster to be active on gameday, they just need to use one of his call ups, but if it's the same as last year each practice squad player is oly eligible to be called up to a certain amount of games.  After NE uses up Hoyer's call ups he will either have to be added to the 53 or they'll have to get more PS QBs if Gilbert uses up his call ups too.   

5 minutes ago, Nelius said:

The Patriots are going to be so awful this year. This is not a case of Belicheat turning absolutely nothing into a pesky playoff bubble team, this is the bottom falling out. I bet they finish behind the Jets.

Would love to see it.

Really looking forward to the Dolphins vs. Patriots week one game. Somebody's got to lose! Tua has some pretty good skill players now but I still think he is going to struggle against the Patriots D.  Even without Gilmore. 

As for Mac Jones. Freaking Dolphins D better not let him have a decent game. New England will probably just run it anyway though. Mac will have like 18-20 pass attempts.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_002! said:

Who cares about a teams backup?? No coach wants to leave theirs teams destiny in the hands of a backup.

So...

And yet, injuries including at the QB position are a fact of life, and those teams who have cultivated some decent depth will be unquestionably better off when the time comes…see Bills with Trubisky, who arguably will be a starter again next year somewhere. Hostetler & Foles even won Super Bowls as backups who had to step in during those years—to say nothing of Reich, who engineered the greatest comeback in NFL history as a career backup…