Defensive front 7 roster spots

LabattBlue

11 DL and 6 LB, 17 roster spots, or roughly 30% of the 53 man roster.  Seems excessive, and I will be interested to see how many of these 17 dress each week.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'd be interested to know if any other team comes close to this number of DL/LB(17).

BREAKING: In a surprise move, Bills Defensive Coordinator Leslie Fraser switches base defensive to a 4-4 lineup, rushing 4 down lineman and two LB's nearly every play.

Bills D leads the league in both sacks and short crossing passes taken to the house...

Edited by Motorin'
  • Haha (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Isn't 7/22 about 30%?

Yeah, but technically it's 7/25 (gotta include the K, P, and LS). So, 28%. 

As an FYI, I don't see this as a big deal at all. The DL has a lot of talent, so let's keep 'em all around and utilize them.

• Like (+1) 1

It is a lot. Beane basically came right out and said that they kept the sixth LB because they lost Bam on ST and wanted a guy who could play them, which was Dodson. They also play, and want to play 7-8 DL every game to get fresh rushers in there. So keeping 11 isn't all that crazy. We will, for example, keep 9 OL but only want to play 5 of them in a game barring injury.  

29 minutes ago, BTB said:

11 DL and 6 LB, 17 roster spots, or roughly 30% of the 53 man roster.  Seems excessive, and I will be interested to see how many of these 17 dress each week.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'd be interested to know if any other team comes close to this number of DL/LB(17).

You keep your best 53, within reason.  Yes it's alot for front 7, but it's our best group and we will be rotating/injuries do happen.

Technically when you have a 16 man PS and ability to call up players 2x during a season, I think this gives creativity to front offices that didn't exist until last season.

Ie: who cares if we keep 17 guys or 15 guys in our front 7, if we need a corner some week instead of DL, we will call up Cam or someone else

46 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

BREAKING: In a surprise move, Bills Defensive Coordinator Leslie Fraser switches base defensive to a 4-4 lineup, rushing 4 down lineman and two LB's nearly every play.

Bills D leads the league in both sacks and short crossing passes taken to the house...

I think they call that the Mike Pettine Triple Crown 🏆

• Haha (+1) 1

In some ways, Groot (or perhaps AJ or Basham if they were to explode) could be one of our most valuable players. If one or more of those guys gets a consistent rush our D and therefore team becomes substantially better. Groot could arguably be the 10-12 best player and the 3-4 most valuable with a very good season. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know people think it’s a lot, but they like to keep more linemen in the roster because they rotate.

they keep more linebackers on the roster for special teams.

they keep less DB’s because they have more on the practice squad (Lewis, Wildgoose, Griffith, Thomas), and the guys they do have rostered play 85%-100% of the snaps each game. 

13 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I know people think it’s a lot, but they like to keep more linemen in the roster because they rotate.

they keep more linebackers on the roster for special teams.

they keep less DB’s because they have more on the practice squad (Lewis, Wildgoose, Griffith, Thomas), and the guys they do have rostered play 85%-100% of the snaps each game. 

Oh they all have to rotate.  These new players are all worthless and weak.

Sestak, McDole and Dunaway never had to "rotate"!

Why back in my day................................................................................................................is it time for Wheel of Fortune?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, junior12thman92 said:

Yeah, but technically it's 7/25 (gotta include the K, P, and LS). So, 28%. 

As an FYI, I don't see this as a big deal at all. The DL has a lot of talent, so let's keep 'em all around and utilize them.

I see it a little differently.  DL was an area of weakness last year, as none of our DL were truly dominant, so they are looking at strength in numbers:  1) with more guys, they can rotate and stay fresh, which may lead to overall improved play; and 2) the more guys you throw out there, the more chance that someone (or multiple guys) will step up and emerge as a high quality player.  I'm thinking that Rousseau may develop into one of those guys.  Basham, Obada, Epenesa, etc. also have the potential to break out too.  And with Star back at the 1-tech, Oliver may break out at the 3-tech, in his more natural position.  

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2