Brandon Beanes Presser today…informative

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

Seems like they are doubling down that Knox steps up. Sweeney is an unknown as he hasn’t been able to stay on the field thus far. Feels like TE is even more of a concern this year than last. Time will tell.

Fans pry value TE's more than Daboll does.  I think we're going to go a lot more 10 personnel this year.  Gilliam having a strong camp pry allowed them to cut Hollister and keep that extra D-lineman.

6 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Coach talk about open competition in camp is nonsense if Knox or Sweeney beat out Hollister this preseason. But whatever.

Coaches don't only count preseason games in their evaluations, they count practices and meetings and how the player acts just as much, none of which we really see. You or I or any fan cannot say that Hollister outperformed anyone with any certainty.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They were keeping the extra D-lineman regardless… McD loves the D-lineman rotation… even at the expense of other positions. 

They rotated since McBeane's been here but they've never kept more than nine.  This year they keep 11?  I really was hoping Butler or Zimmer would get the axe.  

Edited by Doc Brown

mildly surprised about Holister as well. but cannot argue the results of that 4 wide-spread O, + Sanders who they loved for years,  adding some diversity like passes to RBs 1:1 in the flat, and slants and curls all of which is likely more productive than increasing the role of mediocre TEs and those drops...Beane may not be making waiver claims this week and the PS squad will have its constant-key members like QB, CB, OL, etc but it also is very fluid during the season with cuts and adds

1 hour ago, CuseBill said:

Maybe instead of having a big 'ol blocking TE like Lee Smith on the roster, we use one of our big rookies in a tackle-eligible short yardage package?  I would love to see that more but we really don't do it much.

I want to say Bates has lined up in that spot last season?

Edited by letsgoteam

I thought that Hollister would be re-signed.  Not because of his college connection with Allen, but because he was a solid contributor with the Seahawks, and because he made a couple of good catches in limited preseason action.  That said, I trust Beane and McD, and if they think the roster spot was better used elsewhere, I am OK with it.  Our rookie tackle can line up as an extra TE on obvious running downs and Gilliam looks like a versatile piece that can help out in multiple areas (FB, TE, H-back).  Plus, as pointed out above, 2nd and 3rd TEs are not a hot commodity.  Those types of guys are not that hard to find., particularly for an offense that is not dependent on TEs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

The legend of Kiko Alonso which was replaced by the Legend of Robert Foster and then replaced by the Legend of Duke Williams has no been replaced by the Legend of Lee Smith and Jacob Hollister. 

They may all pale in comparison to The Legend of Taiwan Jones.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They rotated since McBeane's been here but they've never kept more than nine.  This year they keep 11?  I really was hoping Butler or Zimmer would get the axe.  

It is unusual to say the least.  One option could be that they evaluate the 11 in the beginning of the season.

If there is no early injuries maybe a move is made to get that down to 10 and another position is brought in.

Maybe?

7 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

They may all pale in comparison to The Legend of Taiwan Jones.

There's no legend of Taiwan jones. He's actually really good at his role and not a middling player who has success they didn't actually have attributed to them.

You may not like his role on the team, but that's a different thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

To be clear it would mean Stevenson couldn't play until week 6 I believe. He can practice after week 3, but I think week 6 is the first time he could play. 

Interesting on Hollister. 

I believe you are mistaken.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/10/nfl-will-retain-modified-ir-rules-allowing-unlimited-players-to-return/

An unlimited number of players can return from a team’s injured reserve list, and they are eligible after missing a minimum of only three games.

After three weeks, the player becomes eligible to return to practice. Once he returns to practice, the team has 21 days to place him back on the active roster.

After 3 weeks, the player becomes eligible to return to practice and the team can take UP TO 21 days to put him back on the active roster.

But the player can play as soon as he's ready, be that 1 week, 2 weeks, or 3 weeks.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe you are mistaken.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/10/nfl-will-retain-modified-ir-rules-allowing-unlimited-players-to-return/

After 3 weeks, the player becomes eligible to return to practice and the team can take UP TO 21 days to put him back on the active roster.

But the player can play as soon as he's ready, be that 1 week, 2 weeks, or 3 weeks.

Yea I am. Others have corrected. He can be activated any time in a 3 week window after week 3.... you would imagine realistically though it probably rules him out of at least the first 4, because the Bills are not gonna cut someone else to bring Stevenson back until they are sure he is full go and that normally is a week of building him up and evaluating. 

9 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Not at all. My point being our TE’s are probably in the bottom five of the league and we did zero to address it. In reality is Sweeney an improvement over Lee Smith though?

I don't know.  Sweeney has very little game experience - 129 snaps over 6 games in 2019, which is 12% of the snaps

He's kind of like a mythical creature, everyone has an opinion of him right now but very few actualy sightings have occurred.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I asked earlier in the offseason what everyone was seeing in Hollister. I had my doubts that he was anything other than a depth player. I think people just got excited because he played with Allen in college, but I never saw much substance behind the expectations of him being a significant contributor on offense, or especially in supplanting Knox as our #1 TE.

I don’t think it was about Hollister so much…more like they just seen Knox struggle with consistency catching the ball and liked the idea of a vet to push him if he didn’t improve with that.

• Like (+1) 1

Was just reading the article on BN about Beane's press conference and it quoted him some.  He was talking about the injuries of the players

So my question is what is the significance between a red or blue practice jersey?  Does one mean you can hit him in the ding ***** and the other you can't?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

To be clear it would mean Stevenson couldn't play until week 6 I believe. He can practice after week 3, but I think week 6 is the first time he could play. 

Interesting on Hollister. 

he can be activate a after game  3 and be on the roster for game 4.  But he could just practice for games 4-6 and not be on roster.