Buffalo Bills Cap Space (Start of Season)

ColoradoBills

I had hoped the Bills could of had enough initial space to maybe pick up a player in a thin position but things are tight right now.

I used Spotrac for my numbers.  The "Top 51" rule is still in effect until next week but I am using the Total Season Start dollars.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

As of September 2nd.

Current Cap Space:  $2.9M 

Adjusted Cap:  $100k (Current Cap once season starts)

Beane and his "bean counters" did a good job getting under without restructures.

EDIT:  Updated for September 2nd

Edited by ColoradoBills

33 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I had hoped the Bills could of had enough initial space to maybe pick up a player in a thin position but things are tight right now.

I used Spotrac for my numbers.  The "Top 51" rule is still in effect until next week but I am using the Total Season Start dollars.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Current Cap Space:  $3.6M

Subtractions:  

1.  At least one IR move (probably later today) and re-signing of Reid Ferguson estimate:  $1.3M

2.  16 Player Practice Squad:  $2.5M (each player costs $165,600 per year X 16 players)  Not counting extra $s for vets on PS.

Adjusted Cap: -$0.2M

This does not count an additional IR move and a Hollister re-signing.

It seems to me that Beane needs a trade/cut or a player to do a restructure to get above the cap starting next week.

This isn't good

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

This isn't good

It is what it is but after hearing Beane today the team seems set for the season.

Anyone thinking of bringing in more expensive players this year will be disappointed IMO.

Like I said I expect a "restructure" on a player soon to give himself some "pocket money" for the season.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It is what it is but after hearing Beane today the team seems set for the season.

Anyone thinking of bringing in more expensive players this year will be disappointed IMO.

Like I said I expect a "restructure" on a player soon to give himself some "pocket money" for the season.

They will need it. Thanks you for your post

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think this is a big concern. Remember a couple things about the calculation:

• If they have an injury in week 9 and goes on IR and they add someone for weeks 10-18 (17 games plus bye week), their annual salary counts 50% against the cap (% of season left)
  • Any player added during the season is most likely making the league minimum

I did think it was kind of interesting that per Spotrac the Bills have 42 players that count against the dead cap and totals $7.4 million. 7 players comprise $6.1 million of the cap hit. One of the realities of bringing in many of the low level vets is that they got some level of bonus. Example: Hollister got $135k. It's not a lot of dead money but it is an interesting list, all the way down to a couple thousand bucks. 

24 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I don't think the practice squad counts against the cap. Lemme make sure of that. Be right back.

Yeah, the rules change so fast I wondered if I'd missed something. Nope. Practice squad doesn't count against the cap.

Yes they do.  From an article 7 days ago.  They have counted against the cap for years.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/8/25/22641311/2021-practice-squad-primer-everything-to-know-from-the-rules-to-the-eligibility

There is no limit to how much a team can pay a player on the practice squad, although the practice squad contracts do count against the salary cap.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes they do.  From an article 7 days ago.  They have counted against the cap for years.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/8/25/22641311/2021-practice-squad-primer-everything-to-know-from-the-rules-to-the-eligibility

There is no limit to how much a team can pay a player on the practice squad, although the practice squad contracts do count against the salary cap.

This is correct.  It’s worth mentioning that Spotrac and OverTheCap do not get their info straight from the league and are not always immediately privy to everything - especially restructures.  Dion Dawkins is the obvious candidate to create cap space by having some of his salary converted to a signing bonus.  That or another similar move is forthcoming - or it may have already happened and not been made public. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

This is correct.  It’s worth mentioning that Spotrac and OverTheCap do not get their info straight from the league and are not always immediately privy to everything - especially restructures.  Dion Dawkins is the obvious candidate to create cap space by having some of his salary converted to a signing bonus.  That or another similar move is forthcoming - or it may have already happened and not been made public. 

All true.  Worth mentioning as I did in my OP is that teams are still under the "Top 51" rule until the start of the season.

I also agree that Dawkins in a good candidate for a small restructure.

• Like (+1) 2

The point being, how can the Bills develop an outside corner for depth for the 2021-22 season?

Cam Lewis is not the answer brothers. Maybe Nick McCloud was But he is gone now.....

SOS!

Help!

Go Bills!

Is Tre White as important to the Bills as Josh Allen is?

Dont let ANY of our top three corners off the estate!

Bubble wrapped except for games.

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

The point being, how can the Bills develop an outside corner for depth for the 2021-22 season?

Cam Lewis is not the answer brothers. Maybe Nick McCloud was But he is gone now.....

SOS!

Help!

Go Bills!

Is Tre White as important to the Bills as Josh Allen is?

Dont let ANY of our top three corners off the estate!

Bubble wrapped except for games.

Agree with them or not, McDermott and Beane have said for months they're very comfortable with Tre, Levi, and Dane on the outside with Taron and Neal at the Nickel. Their actions (or lack thereof) in Free Agency and the Draft (passing on Melifonwu in Rounds 2 and 3) proved that.

We generally only keep 5 CB's and I don't see anyone out there right now that I'd cut someone on our depth chart for. Even if there were, they'd be behind the 8 ball trying to learn the playbook and build chemistry midseason.

We won't be bringing anyone else in. And I'm not as concerned about it as many of you are. Our CB situation wasn't awful last year. And we've brought back everyone that was here, even on the Practice Squad. The only difference is Dane Jackson promoted from the Practice Squad to replace Josh Norman and Rachad Wildgoose taking Dane's place there. 

Everybody take a deep breath over the Corner situation. We're in a better spot than many teams in the league. Especially when you consider Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer round out the Secondary.

Edited by BillsFanForever19