Bills open practice 9/1 and media

YoloinOhio

55 minutes ago, Cash said:

The problem with that logic is that “the 20%” might be what separates a Good team from a Championship team. There are strong benefits of having a real pass-catching threat at TE (who also blocks effectively in the run game). 

You completely and totally misunderstand. The 20% is what keeps you from being great. You're so focused on "their must be someone who is labeled as a TE" that you ignore the best results.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Why does it have to be a “bunch of resources”?    How about a couple mill or a draft pick?

Turns out Knox, Gilliam and Sweeney were all draft picks. 

• Dislike 1

The really interesting thing to me is with all of these QBs wanting input and trying to force the HC / GM hands, Josh I think makes recommendations as to people he would like to see the team look at, but isn't trying to dictate final personnel decisions. At lest that is the way it appears. I always thought Aaron griping about his need for better teammates must really rub his actual teammates the wrong way. The Hollister decision seems to indicate that at least.

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Harsh, but 😂

Kroft did have 3 TD and 9 1st downs, which is pretty good for 12 receptions.

Smith had 2 TD and 3 1st downs in 4 targets

Hard to say "nothing" is an improvement on that.

I thought Kroft was a nice option. A steady hand if you will. He stepped in well when Knox went down. Could he be replaced? Sure. 

The TE room is weird at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The really interesting thing to me is with all of these QBs wanting input and trying to force the HC / GM hands, Josh I think makes recommendations as to people he would like to see the team look at, but isn't trying to dictate final personnel decisions. At lest that is the way it appears. I always thought Aaron griping about his need for better teammates must really rub his actual teammates the wrong way.

Optics can be as important as results. We don’t know how much input has in offensive personnel. He may whine like Rogers behind closed doors or you might be right. But the way guys like Rogers have handled their situations is bad at every level. 

Edited by Mango
Double quote

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

I thought Kroft was a nice option. A steady hand if you will. He stepped in well when Knox went down. Could he be replaced? Sure. 

The TE room is weird at the moment. 

Optics can be as important as results. We don’t know how much input has in offensive personnel. He may whine like Rogers behind closed doors or you might be right. But the way guys like Rogers have handled their situations is bad at every level. 

To be fair, I don't recall hearing much Rodgers whining in the days when he was throwing to Jennings, Driver, or Nelson and winning the SB, vs losing the last two Conf. Championships.

Give Allen a decade and have him throwing to Adams and who? while we lose successive conference championships and he feels the clock winding down on his Superbowl window, and maybe he won't handle his situation so quietly, either

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

You completely and totally misunderstand. The 20% is what keeps you from being great. You're so focused on "their must be someone who is labeled as a TE" that you ignore the best results.

Well, Gilliam wasn't....but I otherwise agree.

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Is this the reason Hollister was let go before them? Some GMs don’t want to admit mistakes. I keep referencing Peterman 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Ike is better in pass pro. Cody's a better run blocker. 

It's going to be interesting... My guess is Cody starts week 1, and keeps the job as long as he stays healthy and doesn't become a liability in pass protection. 

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Is this the reason Hollister was let go before them? Some GMs don’t want to admit mistakes. I keep referencing Peterman 

Beane has more loyalty to draft picks (like the ones he just cut) over the guy he signed in free agency... is a take, for sure. 

Pretty much everyone on the roster was brought in by Beane so no matter what he does he's letting go of a player he is responsible for being here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I think Ike is better in pass pro. Cody's a better run blocker. 

It's going to be interesting... My guess is Cody starts week 1, and keeps the job as long as he stays healthy and doesn't become a liability in pass protection. 

Cody also played RT for a year, so to me as a depth option he gives you some flexibility there to not force a rookie into regular gametime.  Gimme the best 5, and if ford is in, he's still probably my first guy going in at tackle if a tackle goes down.  

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He hasn’t been good even when healthy. And we must have watched different games because his pass blocking is still not good. 

Considering we’re a passing offense, pass blocking is more important to me. 

There’s obviously a reason why the coaching staff is still rotating Ike and Ford and why Beane didn’t commit to Ford being the starter.

It sucks Ford couldn’t take the job and run with it considering where we drafted him but sometimes guys aren’t as good as you hope. I want the 5 best guys on the field for what we do on offense.

Ford. First year RT, bad choice. Second year LG and gets injured.  Third year, RG, I'll give him a few games, but if he doesn't show out in say the 1st 3 games, yank him.🤔

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Cody also played RT for a year, so to me as a depth option he gives you some flexibility there to not force a rookie into regular gametime.  Gimme the best 5, and if ford is in, he's still probably my first guy going in at tackle if a tackle goes down.  

Makes sense. I'd probably lean towards Brown at swing tackle. And Bates can handle OT as well, imo. But yeah, McD usually skews towards trusting experience. So it wouldn't surprise me if Cody is #3 OT.

I like Ike, and think he has more room for growth in his game. It might be a coin flip between him and Ford at G. Maybe it even hinges on Mongo, if they like him better at LG than RG. Idk.