Bills open practice 9/1 and media

YoloinOhio

40 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

McD said that not having a camp last year affected some players more than others.  And Devin was one of those players where it affected his conditioning.  Now he’s in the best shape of his life, and we are seeing the difference on the field.

Im calling it now…Devin will lead this team in rushing and by a decent margin. Moss is talented, he will get touches, but don’t be surprised to see Devin be the clear lead back throughout the season (barring injuries of course).

Devin for me is also a late round steal in FFL drafts, landed him in all leagues as Moss always got drafted first.  

As far as FF goes - it depends upon the point structure and league, but I tend to stay far away from Bills RBs right now - maybe as a last second grab.

The Bills run so few times and like to split up carries that even with Devin being a clear #1 he is not getting many carries a game.  Then you top that with Moss and Gilliam getting more goal line carries - even those are limited by Josh and McKenzie getting carries in the deep red zone.

I think for football Devin will be a clear #1 back - for fantasy - I think both are going to be very average to below average backs.  

It would be one thing if they caught a bunch of passes to counterbalance the pass heavy offense, but even then Josh tends to throw to WR #4 or #5 more than the backs.  Maybe that will change in the updated offense, but I tend to look at the Bills RBs (at least for fantasy) more like other teams #2 or even #3 guys.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

He hasn’t been good even when healthy. And we must have watched different games because chi’s pass blocking is still not good. 

Considering we’re a passing offense, pass blocking is more important to me. 

There’s obviously a reason why the coaching staff is still rotating Ike and Ford and why Beane didn’t commit to Ford being the starter.

It sucks Ford couldn’t take the job and run with it considering where we drafted him but someone guys aren’t as good as you hope. I want the 5 best guys on the field for what we do on offense.

Cody Ford is just not a good football player.  I expect this is the last year he's on the roster.  Disaster of a pick when you consider the opportunity cost (Teller, DK Metcalf).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Chiefs have stud WR’s as well but having another weapon at TE opens up the offense even more. Also our WR’s were mitigated by a physical Chiefs secondary in the AFC Championship which only adds more pressure for  the TE being able to make plays.

Keeping Hollister doesn’t change anything though. He isn’t some great weapon in the passing game. 

• Agree 2

I am absolutely flummoxed by the release of Hollister. I thought FOR SURE it was just roster gymnastics and he'd be brought back.

To go into the season with only Dawson Knox -- who still has yet to prove he can be a high quality starter at the position -- and Sweeney and Gilliam (and Gilliam is listed as a fullback, mind you) is crazy to me. It shows A TON of confidence in Dawson Knox. Even IF Knox breaks out, though, there's always health to consider. The Bills are now one Dawson Knox injury away from going into an actual NFL game with Tommy Sweeney and Reggie Gilliam as its only tight ends.

Between Hollister's athleticism, his chemistry with Josh, and just the sheer need to have more than one capable tight end in today's game, I just don't understand this move. It makes zero sense to me.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd like to feel all positive about this, so I'd like to buy in.

My question though is when did we see Sweeney shine?  He played against the Lions then put a boot on and was not seen in practice again until...today?

Then! Plus many TC observations of tough catches and strong blocks. Did you SEE him @ Detroit? Knox couldn’t be that strong on PEDs!

Just now, Bangarang said:

Keeping Hollister doesn’t change anything though. He isn’t some great weapon in the passing game. 

Maybe not.  TEs do more than that though - they provide blocking options, move linebackers and safeties around, force the defense into different packages, and provide outlet options over the middle of the field.  The Bills are going to get Diggs killed if they keep using him for that stuff like they did in 2020.

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

The Bills finished at or near the top in almost every meaningful offensive category last year with minimal contributions from the TE position.  It's clear that Daboll doesn't need a premier TE to make this offense click.  I'm surprised by the Hollister cut too, but we still have the best WR corps in the NFL and a QB who can throw the ball to any spot on the field, on pace, on time. 

I'll trust Beane and Co. on this one.

I want to trust, but our WR got eaten alive by big physical corners in the AFCCG.

Now maybe the outcome is different if Allen takes more check-downs, or if our WR are less banged up, or a butterfly flaps its wings on the milkweed in my neighbor's yard.

But maybe having a good TE is important to take the next step.  I guess we'll find out.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Harsh, but 😂

Kroft did have 3 TD and 9 1st downs, which is pretty good for 12 receptions.

Smith had 2 TD and 3 1st downs in 4 targets

Hard to say "nothing" is an improvement on that.

My serious response: Its “a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.” …. It seems thin, and I hope it means they’re trying to add some else — like a certain guy in Philadelphia. 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I want to trust, but our WR got eaten alive by big physical corners in the AFCCG.

Now maybe the outcome is different if Allen takes more check-downs, or if our WR are less banged up, or a butterfly flaps its wings on the milkweed in my neighbor's yard.

But maybe having a good TE is important to take the next step.  I guess we'll find out.

That's what I just said in another thread - they can't keep slamming McKenzie and Diggs into strong safeties and linebackers in 2021, those guys won't last.  This offense needs a real TE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They subtracted Tyler Kroft and Lee Smith and added absolutely nobody.

Does that really make them worse.  Sweeney has shown himself to be as good as Kroft and nearly everyone complained about Lee Smith even being on the roster.

I wouldn’t argue they are better, but I am not sure they are worse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They subtracted Tyler Kroft and Lee Smith and added absolutely nobody.

I'm sure in year 8 that Kroft is about to go off after not doing that in year 1-7

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Bills finished at or near the top in almost every meaningful offensive category last year with minimal contributions from the TE position.  It's clear that Daboll doesn't need a premier TE to make this offense click.  I'm surprised by the Hollister cut too, but we still have the best WR corps in the NFL and a QB who can throw the ball to any spot on the field, on pace, on time. 

I'll trust Beane and Co. on this one.

If people just think of the 4th WR on the field as a split out TE then they won't have to freak out. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Maybe not.  TEs do more than that though - they provide blocking options, move linebackers and safeties around, force the defense into different packages, and provide outlet options over the middle of the field.  The Bills are going to get Diggs killed if they keep using him for that stuff like they did in 2020.

So Knox and Sweeney can’t accomplish those things? 

What exactly am I missing here? What does Hollister do that nobody else on the roster can’t?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, CSBill said:

My serious response: Its “a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.” …. It seems thin, and I hope it means they’re trying to add some else — like a certain guy in Philadelphia. 

Of course no GM tips his hand, but Beane sure sounded like he's staying put on the Bills 53 man roster and "On to scouting the 2022 draft!"

This is a WR-based offense anyway, but barring injury, Bills will be fine at TE with Knox and Sweeney. Knox will take a step, and Sweeney looked decent in limited action in 2019. There was a brief time where Sweeney looked like the better TE than Knox because of how raw Knox was. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

So Knox and Sweeney can’t accomplish those things? 

What exactly am I missing here? What does Hollister do that nobody else on the roster can’t?

I don't care about Hollister - he's a JAG.  I'd have liked them to upgrade at the position this past offseason.  Their only move was bringing in Hollister, whom they've now cut.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1