Buffalo Bills 2021 practice squad players

HOUSE

10 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I heard Beane say that also - wondering who they have coming in.  Sounded like a tour and signing - so I thought it was someone totally new.

@Reks Ryan - why is it strange they haven’t signed someone from another team.  We have a deep and talented roster with lots of guys they like.  It should be no surprise that they wanted to keep as many of their own guys as possible.  

The surprise to me was that we only had 1 guy claimed and some lesser teams had multiple guys picked up.  It shows me the Bills really have a pretty good handle on this.

I’m thinking it may be Jimmy Moreland. A CB who played and started for Ron Rivera. 👀

44 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’m thinking it may be Jimmy Moreland. A CB who played and started for Ron Rivera. 👀

It is interesting.  

Going through the numbers both on the roster and on the PS - I am leaning away from DB.  They already have 3 on the PS - which complements the active roster being short.  Safety is the same except they kept an extra safety on the active roster and are 1 short on the PS.  

LB with 6 and 1 seems fine and DL has 2 PS guys so they seem covered.

QB with 2 and 2 and WR with 7 and 2 seem set.  OL - they kept extra tackles on the 53 and have 2 guys on the PS - so there is not a glaring need.

That leaves me with RB and TE.

TE has the biggest need with 2 active and 1 PS - when traditionally they keep 4 on the active roster.  I know Gilliam can fit that role, but that still leaves them 1 short of our usual numbers.  My only concern here is that we had a guy in Hollister - that would be your obvious bring back guy and they didn’t.

RB - we have 3 (+ Jones - really a ST guy) and 1 PS - not exactly short, but not fully fleshed out.  If they had their eyes on a speedy pass catching guy - I could see that.

I guess position wise - I lean a TE is coming in, but I just don’t see the value or the player. 

Available players that seem obvious - I lean CB as there are 3-4 veteran guys that could be nice fits - so my guess is a veteran DB will be visiting to be around for a last shot at a ring.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

It is interesting.  

Going through the numbers both on the roster and on the PS - I am leaning away from DB.  They already have 3 on the PS - which complements the active roster being short.  Safety is the same except they kept an extra safety on the active roster and are 1 short on the PS.  

QB with 2 and 2 and WR with 7 and 2 seem set.  OL - they kept extra tackles on the 53 and have 2 guys on the PS - so there is not a glaring need.

TE has the biggest need with 2 active and 1 PS - when traditionally they keep 4 on the active roster.  I know Gilliam can fit that role, but that still leaves them 1 short of our usual numbers.  My only concern here is that we had a guy in Hollister - that would be your obvious bring back guy and they didn’t.

RB - we have 3 (+ Jones - really a ST guy) and 1 PS - not exactly short, but not fully fleshed out.  If they had their eyes on a speedy pass catching guy - I could see that.

I guess position wise - I lean a TE is coming in, but I just don’t see the value or the player. 

Available players that seem obvious - I lean CB as there are 3-4 veteran guys that could be nice fits - so my guess is a veteran DB will be visiting to be around for a last shot at a ring.

I’m with @GunnerBill on this one. My guess is that they like Doyle’s potential at OT but don’t think he’s ready yet. I think they’re happy enough with their top 3 at OT, but if any of those top 3 had to miss a game, they’d want to call up a veteran OT to be the swing tackle. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

It is interesting.  

Reason I say Moreland is that he played in the slot @WFT. Who plays if Taron Johnson goes down?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Cash said:

I’m with @GunnerBill on this one. My guess is that they like Doyle’s potential at OT but don’t think he’s ready yet. I think they’re happy enough with their top 3 at OT, but if any of those top 3 had to miss a game, they’d want to call up a veteran OT to be the swing tackle. 

It could be - I totally agree with the logic, but if there was a veteran OLineman out there that was any good - it seems like he would be heading to an active roster.  OL - especially tackles are at such a premium that the Bills didn’t feel they could cut Doyle and get him to the PS.  They did cut Hart and I don’t anticipate him coming back and he is one of the better veteran tackles available  - so I am just not sure who this mystery Tackle is.  

I could totally see a young rookie or UDFA if they can find one - I just don’t see the valuable veteran OT that is better than Bates and Brown.  To me Doyle is just on the 53 to protect him and he will be inactive every week, but will get valuable experience for next year.

Ideally - I am right there with you - they would love a veteran tackle that could be a call-up and protection, but I don’t see those guys available.  The only position that I see veteran depth that has a talent pool left is DB - you have several CBs and even a guy like Marlowe at safety and a few of these guys might be able to play either Safety or Corner in a pinch.

This is the part of the game that I love - it is like math mixed with a puzzle.

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Who?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kahale-warring/32005741-5275-2700-ebaf-ccabda046f86

2019 3rd round pick by Houston

Spent 2019 on IR and half of 2020 on IR

Waived by Houston in mid August and claimed/waived in short succession by NE and then Indy

First name is actually Kahalekuiokalani

6'5" 250

Are the Bills hoping that between this guy and Sweeney, they can have one active TE who is not on IR?

PS Was actually drafted at pick 86, 10 slots ahead of Dawson Knox in the 2019 3rd.

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There you go - position numbers it makes sense - I think they must have been trying to give Hollister a shot at an active roster - or maybe his request.

Not surprised - makes sense positionally.

Probably a guy they have been watching.  Very developmental, but has nice traits - just to injured so far.

Edited by Rochesterfan

Sounds like a guy the Bills may have scouted back in 2019 and had their eye on. 

Roughly fits the same profile as Dawson Knox - sky-high athleticism, minimal playing experience at TE, struggle with injuries.

Kahale Kuio Kalani Michael Wodehouse Warring was a latecomer to football, starring instead in just about every other sport possible (water polo, basketball, cross county, swimming, soccer and tennis) during his time at Sonora High School in California. His one season on the gridiron gained enough interest from SDSU that he was given a shot as a walk-on. Warring redshirted the 2015 season while bulking up, and then played in four games as a reserve (2-17-8.5, two touchdowns) the following year before a broken foot cut the year short. Coaches gave him a scholarship before the 2017 season, and he ended up starting 3 of 13 games played (18-248-13.8, three TD). Warring only started twice in 12 games played in 2018 but was still named honorable mention All-Mountain West because he led the Aztecs with 31 receptions (which went for 372 yards, 12.0 average, and three scores). He did not play in the team's bowl game due to a hamstring injury suffered in the regular-season finale.

Active in 7 games in 2020 all at the end of last season, 3 receptions and 1 drop on 7 targets.

If he can stay healthy he could be an interesting developmental prospect

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sounds like a guy the Bills may have scouted back in 2019 and had their eye on. 

Roughly fits the same profile as Dawson Knox - sky-high athleticism, minimal playing experience at TE, struggle with injuries.

Yeah.  Texans put him on IR due to concussion.  He didn’t play in his bowl game at SDSU due to hamstring.  Have read that he’s struggling with technical aspects of the position.  

2 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

Yeah.  Texans put him on IR due to concussion.  He didn’t play in his bowl game at SDSU due to hamstring.  Have read that he’s struggling with technical aspects of the position.  

I don't see how he could not struggle, he has very very little playing experience and he has struggled with injuries to boot (foot injuries, boot, gettit?  I slay myself)

But if they want to try to create their own "monster" TE, this guy has the "uncoachables"

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Good Point - I hadn't thought of that.

Guy must be an Ace at packing a suitcase:

Any clue why such quick decisions? Seems odd to claim someone just to send them packing a few days later. (I understand that some players get picked up to fill out the last preseason game roster, but this appears excessive even by that account.)

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Any clue why such quick decisions? Seems odd to claim someone just to send them packing a few days later. (I understand that some players get picked up to fill out the last preseason game roster, but this appears excessive even by that account.)

My guess would be some sort of injury concerns once a team gets him in the building.

• Like (+1) 1