Alternate Helmet

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

They finally got it right with the white helmet. The only other helmet that should ever be used is white with standing red Bison

That's my preference, but I'd be totally fine with a red 90's throwback rarely.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

It's not about hating change. Everyone LOVED the change when we got rid of those hideous new uniforms from the 2000's. It's about maintaining brand integrity and something that legitimately works great.

I mostly want change so this team can have its own identity. Red helmet just screams Kelly era. I want Allen to have his own era and team look. The blue helmet doesn’t have to be a permanent thing, just a stand in. 

I like the Bills current look....and I also like the Jim Kelly/Bruce Smith era look....and I like the OJ era standing buffalo look.  Those early 2000's disasters should be erased from history.  Awful.  

Count me as someone who does NOT like that blue helmet.  

1 minute ago, MJS said:

That's my preference, but I'd be totally fine with a red 90's throwback rarely.

This is probably going to happen, given how many players (Diggs and a few others) have wanted the red helmet. I think we will find out over the next few days, seeming how I haven’t seen any official news on the matter. 

Just now, Zerovoltz said:

I like the Bills current look....and I also like the Jim Kelly/Bruce Smith era look....and I like the OJ era standing buffalo look.  Those early 2000's disasters should be erased from history.  Awful.  

Count me as someone who does NOT like that blue helmet.  

The Giants are the only ones that have the blue helmet look. 

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I mostly want change so this team can have its own identity. Red helmet just screams Kelly era. I want Allen to have his own era and team look. The blue helmet doesn’t have to be a permanent thing, just a stand in. 

That's literally what a throwback is. It's supposed to look like the Kelly era. The current Bills uniforms are for Allen's era.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I like the current bills helmets as well, I just wanted an alternate to be worn once in a while. Unfortunately it looks like that isn’t even possible given even the new helmet rules. It’s probably either the red helmet as the 2nd choice this year. When will we know by? 

I think it has to be a given that IF the helmet rule changes, it has to be the red for throwback purposes. The late 90s, puma era jerseys are breathtaking. If you ran a clean, 1999 road throwback with Red helmet as the alternate jerseys….they’d sell that merch out before the first day announcement was over. 

The problem is everyone hates new or change, people are so stuck in what they know. 

Part of loving any team is having an emotional connection to it's history.  Red and white are the only colors fans know - and love.  You can call me old fashioned, but I love both the red and the white - those are BILLS helmets!  Sometimes change just for the sake of change isn't always a great idea.  See the 2000s

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

That's literally what a throwback is. It's supposed to look like the Kelly era. The current Bills uniforms are for Allen's era.

Understood. A throwback is fine, but why limit a team to throwbacks only? It would be nice to have a new look once in a while for the Allen era. 

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think it has to be a given that IF the helmet rule changes, it has to be the red for throwback purposes. The late 90s, puma era jerseys are breathtaking. If you ran a clean, 1999 road throwback with Red helmet as the alternate jerseys….they’d sell that merch out before the first day announcement was over. 

And that's the other aspect. 90's throwback merchandise would sell very well. That's a huge motivation to include those. A new design is a monetary risk, and an unnecessary one.

This is probably going to happen, given how many players (Diggs and a few others) have wanted the red helmet. I think we will find out over the next few days, seeming how I haven’t seen any official news on the matter. 

The Giants are the only ones that have the blue helmet look. 

(PS, I am a uniform nerd)

I have nothing against a blue helmet in and off itself...I just don't think it's a good look for the Bills.  

1 minute ago, Blainorama5 said:

Part of loving any team is having an emotional connection to it's history.  Red and white are the only colors fans know - and love.  You can call me old fashioned, but I love both the red and the white - those are BILLS helmets!  Sometimes change just for the sake of change isn't always a great idea.  See the 2000s

I totally get the sentiment. I also like the current teams look. It was just a thought experiment more than anything. It doesn’t appear many teams are going to have their own alternate “new” helmet. It will probably be relegated to throwback designs. 

1 minute ago, Zerovoltz said:

(PS, I am a uniform nerd)

I have nothing against a blue helmet in and off itself...I just don't think it's a good look for the Bills.  

Like period? Zero chance of a blue helmet no matter the design? Are NFL teams even allowed to have the alternate helmet be a new design? 

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I totally get the sentiment. I also like the current teams look. It was just a thought experiment more than anything. It doesn’t appear many teams are going to have their own alternate “new” helmet. It will probably be relegated to throwback designs. 

Like period? Zero chance of a blue helmet no matter the design? Are NFL teams even allowed to have the alternate helmet be a new design? 

Clearly you could have something blue...like another poster said...when you deviate too far from your traditions and history...that isn't going to be popular.  Frankly, the bills blue helmet you propose lookes EXACLTY like what a Giants helmet would look like if they had bills logo on it....it looks way to much like a Giants helmet.

Just now, Blainorama5 said:

I'm totally with you, and that's why these are generally fun, but it's also really well traveled ground - so lots of strong feelings already baked in.  😉👍

I get it, I loved the SB era and there is a sentimental attachment to that decade. I guess I’m to “new school” , but I’m young enough to be super welcoming to change. Not necessarily change for the sake of change, but if something is worthwhile, I’m ok with it. I just don’t like seeing the Allen era be merged in with a Kelly era, I want distinction. It appears the red helmet throw back is going to be the alternate helmet choice anyways. I still don’t understand why more alternates aren’t allowed once in a while. 

1 minute ago, Zerovoltz said:

Clearly you could have something blue...like another poster said...when you deviate too far from your traditions and history...that isn't going to be popular.  Frankly, the bills blue helmet you propose lookes EXACLTY like what a Giants helmet would look like if they had bills logo on it....it looks way to much like a Giants helmet.

There isn’t much of a way to avoid it. A blue helmet is always going to be associated with the Giants, because they are the only NFL team to have blue helmets. I haven’t seen very many well designed blue helmets. The blue buffalo with the blue helmets was even worse than the white buffalo. It seems like no blue helmet is EVER going to please the fan base, which is unfortunate because it means the team is never going to have anything new. 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I get it, I loved the SB era and there is a sentimental attachment to that decade. I guess I’m to “new school” , but I’m young enough to be super welcoming to change. Not necessarily change for the sake of change, but if something is worthwhile, I’m ok with it. I just don’t like seeing the Allen era be merged in with a Kelly era, I want distinction. It appears the red helmet throw back is going to be the alternate helmet choice anyways. I still don’t understand why more alternates aren’t allowed once in a while.

Maybe they will.  We'll just have to see what they come out with this year.  If alternate helmets sell - they'll do more.  If they don't, well...

21 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I guess I don’t understand the hate for the blue helmet. I can understand not liking the contrast with the blue buffalo on a blue helmet, but the white buffalo looks the best, as the red buffalo on the blue helmet doesn’t help either. I’m not sure why the NFL is still limiting teams to just 2 helmets. I suppose it’s better than the 1 helmet policy, but it would be nice to see some new designs rather than living in the past. 

As I said in the other thread where this was posted.  The Blue colored helmet is horrible.  The White Buffalo on it looks wrong - it just looks terrible and the Red stripe looks off.

If you want to use a blue helmet to redesign the Giants - great, but that color Blue with that Logo is just 🤮.

I am glad to see the vast majority agree.  I am sorry, but that just looks bad.