AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

On 12/25/2021 at 12:21 PM, boater said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Even if all sides heartily agreed and funded a downtown stadium, it would never be built.

The environmentalists will find some kind of endangered moth--and we must not destroy it's habitat. They will also poke at the environmental impact studies.

The preservationists will cling to some dumpy building--and file court papers to save it from demolition (Great Northern elevator ring a bell?).

Human remains will be found and it will turn out to be a sacred burial ground--of course, all construction must cease.

Buffalo is retrograde and can't have nice things. This is a town that couldn't even come to agreement on a desperately needed Peace Bridge replacement.

They couldn’t even figure out how to put a Bass Pro downtown. Never mind trying to build a professional football stadium.

Edited by BillsfaninChicago
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Does this guy not realize that building down town would be more expensive and require an even larger subsidy? The Pegulas chose Orchard park because it was the mist economically sound place to build.  For this guy to say "build it down town" and "Don't let the taxpayers help pay for it" in the same breath is just stupid...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, haroldwaide said:

Does this guy not realize that building down town would be more expensive and require an even larger subsidy? The Pegulas chose Orchard park because it was the mist economically sound place to build.  For this guy to say "build it down town" and "Don't let the taxpayers help pay for it" in the same breath is just stupid...

why should taxpayers give billionaires money to build their facility? The NFL can afford to build new stadiums for every team. The Pegula's are worth close to $6B. Why do they need to be given money?

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

That's a fair point that has been discussed since stadiums have been built.  Along the same thought, why give money to museums and parks when their economic impact is minimal?  Why give businesses tax "incentives," to locate in new York? Also keep in mind that the Pegulas went with a lowe seating capacity and cheaper stadium after the pandemic hit.  I firmly believe they will pay a good bit of the cost but I also believe NY will kick in as well.

Edited by haroldwaide
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, haroldwaide said:

That's a fair point that has been discussed since stadiums have been built.  Along the same thought, why give money to museums and parks when their economic impact is minimal?  Why give businesses tax "incentives," to locate in new York? Also keep in mind that the Pegulas went with a lowe seating capacity and cheaper stadium after the pandemic hit.  I firmly believe they will pay a good bit of the cost but I also believe NY will kick in as well.

I don't have all the answers but giving money to museums and parks are a benefit to the community. Giving a billion dollars to a multi billionaire so his company has a nicer office is different to me.

25 minutes ago, nucci said:

I don't have all the answers but giving money to museums and parks are a benefit to the community. Giving a billion dollars to a multi billionaire so his company has a nicer office is different to me.

But the Bills are a benefit to the community, and NY.  In fact, probably more so because player salaries are taxed in NY because that is where the money is earned.  Plus there's the whole civic pride thing...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

If the Highmark lease expires in 2023 and a new stadium would not be ready until 2025 at the earliest, would the Bills just renew year-by-year @ Highmark or just play somewhere else, i.e. Toronto ? 

The public quite is that the team will not renew their lease without a stadium deal in place.  I take that to mean they will renew as long as a deal is in place, but it will be transferred to the new stadium when the time comes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, haroldwaide said:

But the Bills are a benefit to the community, and NY.  In fact, probably more so because player salaries are taxed in NY because that is where the money is earned.  Plus there's the whole civic pride thing...

Yep, you're right...just against giving billionaires money when they don't need it

On 12/26/2021 at 7:18 AM, nucci said:

why should taxpayers give billionaires money to build their facility? The NFL can afford to build new stadiums for every team. The Pegula's are worth close to $6B. Why do they need to be given money?

taxes pay for hundreds of things you don't use. Why?

because then we expect the same people to help fund our fun. Sports fans deserve their piece of the pie.

school district will not stop taking my property taxes when my kid graduates either. 

40 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

"It may be that she announces an agreement in principle, or a memorandum of understanding, or something that allows the Bills to move forward with construction, or at least getting bids and doing the things they need to do before there are too many price increases."

This is exactly what I've been told has been done.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.