AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

WGR said this morning it was a covered stadium, anyone else hear that?   

yes you misunderstood or do not understand the meaning of a covered stadium. Most of the seating will be under cover not in the elements of nature but will be an open air stadium. That's the difference. So if its raining you may get some spray, if its snowing you may get some snow but not a lot. leaving the field open to the elements.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I just looked at attendance figured for the 2019 season

December 29th vs jets had 69,016

December 8th vs Ravens had 69,134

The opener vs Cincinnati had 69,448

according to football reference.

Yep, need to look at non-Drought numbers.

The whole "stadium is empty in December" was true, back when we stunk and were eliminated in November. I'd bet good money the stadium will be packed (68,000+) for all the December games this year.

The biggest problem with Wawrow's article his random quote from a University of Chicago professor claiming stadiums never generate economic impact.

The tax payers of WNY really need someone to dig deep on the structure of the San Fran and Minn deals.

Both cities have long term lease deals in place that range from 25M per year to 8M +3% per year. Over a 30-50 year lease, if the bulk of that money is invested in high yield funds, the returns are significant. 

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The whole "stadium is empty in December" was true, back when we stunk and were eliminated in November. I'd bet good money the stadium will be packed (68,000+) for all the December games this year.

People always point to the 90s era blackouts too, but the lack of internet sales, a week-window, and a humongous capacity has a lot to do with that.  The weather was a factor to some degree, and we were getting a little bit spoiled by the end of the run.

IMO, outdoor, with a little more protection from the wind, rain, etc will keep attendance up all season.

Looking through 2019, i was surprised to see the attendance at a lot of places.  It seems most crowds are about 64-69K.  The average was 66-67K for the whole league.

I think we need a stadium that seats 65K here at a minimum.   We have a gate-experience-driven fanbase, and to purposely stifle supply, especially in the name of cost is a terrible idea.  They made a lot of concessions to save some $ for Crossroads Arena and in hindsight, we have a terrible arena in 2021, one I wish we could raze and build anew.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I would say the exact opposite. Why would we look at the high water mark and not something lower?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I would say the exact opposite. Why would we look at the high water mark and not something lower?

Sorry, getting a little off track. That comment chain was focusing more on the assertion that "the stadium is empty in December" than scoping the capacity for the new stadium. Agreed it would be bad planning to only look at the high numbers.

Like I said on the previous page, I do think 60,000 + suites is right on target. I'd personally like to see it at a larger capacity, but I get why it is what it is.

Just looked at some 2009 and 2010 December home games (in the true teeth of the drought).  For the most part, they were about 68K, 69K for those games.  There was a Browns game that was just over 50K, which was the only 1 out of the 5 I looked at that was under 68K.  That was during the awful 2010 season that they started off 0-8 or whatever.  

So 60K just to prevent the possibility of a game in a terrible season not selling out doesn't sound like a legit excuse.

26 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The biggest problem with Wawrow's article his random quote from a University of Chicago professor claiming stadiums never generate economic impact.

Football stadiums do not foster economic growth in their surrounding areas, and in some cases they may actually hinder it. Look no further than the current stadium built 50 years ago -- there's been nothing in the area for 5 decades save for a few bars, gas stations, and a 7-11.  For some reason many fans think building a stadium downtown will transform the area into this year-round hub of entertainment, but that's not the reality of the situation -- it's misplaced wishful thinking.

Now a baseball stadium, a facility that is open 6-7 months of the year with 80-90 sporting events is a completely different animal, and I think that may mislead some people.

So if you want to quantify a baseline economic impact with hard figures, it isn't difficult. There's a ~$180M player payroll and the majority of those guys are in the high tax brackets. That's not counting coaches, front office, marketing, administration, and all of the other staff that come together to make this operation work. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that $1.4B was paid for in organizational income taxes alone over a 40 year period. But good luck selling that to NYS taxpayers, and I don't blame them. The optics of the Pegulas building a mega-yacht sure doesn't help.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Just looked at some 2009 and 2010 December home games (in the true teeth of the drought).  For the most part, they were about 68K, 69K for those games.  There was a Browns game that was just over 50K, which was the only 1 out of the 5 I looked at that was under 68K.  That was during the awful 2010 season that they started off 0-8 or whatever.  

So 60K just to prevent the possibility of a game in a terrible season not selling out doesn't sound like a legit excuse.

it sounds like that isn’t the reason at all, but a construction one. 

7 minutes ago, QCity said:

Football stadiums do not foster economic growth in their surrounding areas, and in some cases they may actually hinder it. Look no further than the current stadium built 50 years ago -- there's been nothing in the area for 5 decades save for a few bars, gas stations, and a 7-11.  For some reason many fans think building a stadium downtown will transform the area into this year-round hub of entertainment, but that's not the reality of the situation -- it's misplaced wishful thinking.

Now a baseball stadium, a facility that is open 6-7 months of the year with 80-90 sporting events is a completely different animal, and I think that may mislead some people.

So if you want to quantify a baseline economic impact with hard figures, it isn't difficult. There's a ~$180M player payroll and the majority of those guys are in the high tax brackets. That's not counting coaches, front office, marketing, administration, and all of the other staff that come together to make this operation work. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that $1.4B was paid for in organizational income taxes alone over a 40 year period. But good luck selling that to NYS taxpayers, and I don't blame them. The optics of the Pegulas building a mega-yacht sure doesn't help.

PSE estimates that the Bills provide 360M per year to the local economy, so they put figure out there and it's cited in Wawrow's article. 

The stadium's not being built downtown, so the question of economic impact to the surrounding area is moot.

But Pegula has said he's open to public ownership of the stadium, and the San Fran and Minn deals are examples to look at. In both cases, if the yearly lease fees are held in high yield accounts, we're talking about recouping the entirely of the public dollars over the first 10-15 years. And doubling it over 30. 

Edited by Motorin'

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

it sounds like that isn’t the reason at all, but a construction one. 

Yeah, I get the impression they want the seats to be more comfortable and have the stadium built in a way that protects many (most?) of the fans from extreme weather.  I have no problem with any number between 60-65K (not that they’ve asked me).

Can’t wait to see some renderings of the proposed build (I would like to see some drawrings).

Edited by eball

Regarding the 60 suites proposal, currently at Highmark OTB has a suite for high rollers, I imagine Seneca also has a suite or suites for their high rollers. The state has a suite, Pegula has a suite and the visiting team has a suite. I can't say for sure but I would think the Buffalo Niagara Partnership has a suite to woo companies they're seeking to locate in Buffalo. If they all retain suites at the new stadium, you're down to 54 suites. I imagine who ever has the sports book at the stadium will also have suite for high rollers. Assuming that M&T, Rich, Delaware North, NOCO, and Highmark Blue Cross will have suites, you got 46 suites left (45 if Josh gets his suite). I imagine a lot of the current suite holders will be funneled into club seats with high end perks. I can't imagine what the pricing will be, but it will be sky high. 

Edited by Huh? What?
new wording

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, I get the impression they want the seats to be more comfortable and have the stadium built in a way the protects many (most?) of the fans from extreme weather.  I have no problem with any number between 60-65K (not that they’ve asked me).

Can’t wait to see some renderings of the proposed build (I would like to see some drawrings).

make it a great experience for the people who go and look for big changes in the cost curve as attendance increases. Cap attendance at the appropriate point in the cost curve.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

If the bills are in for close to 50% then I am fine with the county and state on the other half.

My problem would be if the Bills were asking for the public to be in for all of it.

50/50 ish is pretty fair. Renovation was like 150-200 mil a decade ago. Your looking at 700 mil with this but compared to some deals recently that isn't that bad.

31 minutes ago, QCity said:

This is so spot on. If anything the greatest economic benefit is the players on both teams being taxed on their salaries for each game played in Buffalo. That is a good chunk of tax money. There is a residual effect in terms of people going to bars and restaurants, but it doesn't benefit the way people think and tax brought back in is relatively small by comparison. Honestly if it is 50/50 split or close that isn't awful and if it really is true that a reno was 1 bil, 1.4 makes sense to just be new and done. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Metal Man said:

Saw an interesting take on the stadium capacity discussion on the news the other night.

Basically the guy was saying that when you start to add extra seating capacity you build up which significantly raises the cost with more structural support needed. However since those are the nose bleed seats you are adding a lot of construction cost for extra capacity at the cheapest seat sales price.

Makes sense to me then that above the ~60k range is where they decided the extra cost wasn't worth the extra seat revenue.

It makes sense as per previous discussions - the price tag was quoted at around 1.8 billion open air in OP with about 70,000.

It sounds like after discussion the leaked info cut 400,000 off the price, but to do that cut about 10,000 seats.

There is a sweet spot - the question becomes who is paying to get to the sweet spot and adding the seats.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

No it doesn't.  Obviously last year there were no fans, but in 2019 when this team was on the verge of playoffs, the stadium did not sell out in December.

When the weather gets cold, that stadium is lucky to get 60k.

No no and no. Don’t you know blue collar Buffalo fans demand to sit in the elements, instead of a climate controlled indoor stadium. 

/sarcasm off

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.