AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, QCity said:

I've always said the model for a stadium here should be the Seahawks' partially covered open-air stadium, although 60,000 seems a bit low to me. 

Me too. That's also a lot like most European soccer stadiums. Another sport that's meant to be played outside.

11 hours ago, corta765 said:

60,000 is light, boost it to 65,000 which is still 7k less. The season ticket holder amount is at 56k, your killing any chance for fans and you might lose STH

Hannnah Buehler reported that it could be as much as 62,000 seats.  Wouldn't have to worry about sellouts.  I would guess season tickets would be capped out at a certain number, say 50-52,000 and the rest would be individual game tickets.  The secondary market prices would jump through the roof too.  And there would be a segment of the fanbase who might get squeezed out, but that might be part of the plan too.  I wouldn't doubt PSE would like family friendly to be a thing again.  Ultimately, I think it gets boosted to the 65,000 you suggest.  Pittsburgh is 66,000 or so.  That's what I thought the Bills new joint would be built to hold as well.

11 hours ago, RiotAct said:

M&T Bank, Independent Health, Highmark BCBS, Moog, and… Mighty Taco.

Rich Foods, Key Bank, some law firms...

Just now, purple haze said:

Hannnah Buehler reported that it could be as much as 62,000 seats.  Wouldn't have to worry about sellouts.  I would guess season tickets would be capped out at a certain number, say 50-52,000 and the rest would be individual game tickets.  The secondary market prices would jump through the roof too.  And there would be a segment of the fanbase who might get squeezed out, but that might be part of the plan too.  I wouldn't doubt PSE would like family friendly to be a thing again.  Ultimately, I think it gets boosted to the 65,000 you suggest.  Pittsburgh is 66,000 or so.  That's what I thought the Bills new joint would be built to hold as well.

They stopped worrying about sellouts prior to COVID. 

Bills sell very single tickets these years with blocks of them sold to ticket agencies; they used to sell them to Bills backers groups.

I am sure they will be getting even more bonuses from those ticket agencies.

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Once they make a decision I need to book to come over to a game at the Ralph before they knock it down. I gotta come at least once before we move into whatever modern state of the art thing they build. 

If you make it to one, you'll make it to a few.  You'll be hooked.

10 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah I did I think that initial 1.6B was at the 70K seat mark, because they mentioned cut seats to get into 1.4B.  

I do still think they are trying to release enough leverage out there to get the stadium down town, and why we are still talking 2027.  But cannot commit at ALL without infrastructure being addressed first.  Saying we are committed to DT without guarantees on infrastructure is a failure from jump.

We are talking about lets say 50% public money on the stadium, That is almost 1B downtown and then what another 500M-1B in public money for infrastructure.  That is essentially untenable in this market.

Initial report mentioned a downtown stadium was estimated at 2.6 billion including infrastructure necessitates.  And you know there will be cost overruns.

7 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I hope it's like the stadium here in Seattle. 

That would be nice.  I'm guessing it will be in the mould of a European soccer stadium.  

29 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

If the bills are in for close to 50% then I am fine with the county and state on the other half.

My problem would be if the Bills were asking for the public to be in for all of it.

Under the NFL’s G-4 loan program, the league will match the team’s contribution toward renovations or a new stadium. It provided ~$500M toward the Rams new SoFi stadium. So, if the Pegulas pony up $300M, the NFL will contribute $300M and the state could fund the remaining $800M of the new stadium.

That’s just an example and I doubt the Bills will want to contribute much more than $200M along with a lease extension through 2026 on the existing facility.

• Like (+1) 1

This is on the Howard and Jeremy show now, but Sal is on.  They are debating both sides.  Goodell made a good point that it needs to fit Buffalo.  I can see 65-70,000 seats.  60k would be the smallest in the NFL.  We’re not SF.  this would be a huge mistake as all the players even from other teams state we have a college feel.  Go to an AL or FL game and you’d know Buffalo is special.  That needs to stay that way.

Besides, do you know how expensive a 60k stadium would be?  It would completely price out the real fans.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, klos63 said:

2027?  Are they planning on a workers strike during construction?  Took 2 1/2 years to build the Raiders new stadium in Vegas.

Took 3 years to build MetLife. The one thing that sucked was parking was reduced greatly for those 3 years as the new stadium was built right next to Giants Stadium. If they build the new stadium next to the current one then prepare for traffic and parking to be a pain in the ass until Hallmark is taken down.

3 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Does it even make sense for the new stadium to be only 60k when the current stadium consistently sells out at 73k?

Plus the team is just getting good so demand will be even higher in the future. 

Ticket prices will be much higher plus PSL fees. Many people either won't or can't afford to go to games when that happens. I don't think the Bills will have trouble selling out games but the fact is many people will be priced out. 

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Does it even make sense for the new stadium to be only 60k when the current stadium consistently sells out at 73k?

Plus the team is just getting good so demand will be even higher in the future. 

Depends upon the reasoning for it.  If they think 60,000 fans will create a huge increase in demand and cause ticket prices to go up and allow higher PSLs - they why wouldn’t they do that.  Higher demand - higher ticket prices - higher PSLs - more resale tickets with the NFL collecting on resales fees - different clientele that will most likely purchase more and higher costing in stadium food and drinks.

What is Buffalo currently know for and we read on here all the time - pre and post game tailgating.  If people are eating and drinking in private lots before and after the game - how much money does that bring into the Bills coffers?  That is exactly what the Bills should be trying to eliminate and replace with people that want to eat and drink in the stadium at a higher price point.

During the drought the biggest complaint/laughing point was the Bills tickets on the secondary market.  You could routinely get Bills tickets on Stub Hub for $2-3 dollars starting in November.  - so no they did not consistently sell out - they have recently, but for many years late season games were well attended.

If as was proposed they cut nearly 10,000 seats to get to a specific price point - then it will be on the county or state to decide if they want to put more in the pot and increase the public funding.  

The plans are going to change a million times in the next couple of years and as I have said in the other thread - most fans that attend the game should be hoping and praying for a large public funding of the stadium as that will help defray costs across the a significantly higher number of people.

If the public funding comes in at 40-60% of the cost - then the size of the stadium and the ticket cost and PSLs will go way up to recoup costs - making for a much different game day experience.  If the public funding come in at 75-80% then they could afford to keep the experience closer to current levels.

• Agree 1

Why does every project take soooo long up there these days? 

The Empire State building took 13 months to build with 1930s technology.  Why does it take 6 more years to complete a 60,000 seat open air stadium?

Maybe if the people involved hadn't been dragging out endless feasibility studies for umpteen years, the cost to build could have been far less than what's now projected and Buffalo could be ready to host the January 2022 AFC Championship game in the shiny new facility.

I'm in the metro Atlanta area where they've built 2 baseball and 2 football stadiums in the past 28 years or so.  That's hardly more time than the period since the Flutie era of the late 90s when the first major renovations to Rich were happening.

For all the money spent on renovations and upgrades to the current stadium, I'd guess they could have built one similar to the one being planned.

Is it politics or just business people who have some financial incentive to drag this out? Or just stupidity?

By the way...how's the signature Peace Bridge coming along?

Edited by SoMAn

2 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Why does every project take soooo long up there these days? 

The Empire State building took 13 months to build with 1930s technology.  Why does it take 6 more years to complete a 60,000 seat open air stadium?

Maybe if the people involved hadn't been dragging out endless feasibility studies for umpteen years, the cost to build could have been far less than what's now projected and Buffalo could be ready to host the January 2022 AFC Championship game.

I'm in the metro Atlanta area where they've built 2 baseball and 2 football stadiums in the past 28 years or so.  That's hardly more time than the period since the Flutie era of the late 90s when the first major renovations to Rich were happening.

For all the money spent on renovations and upgrades to the current stadium, I'd guess they could have built one similar to the one being planned.

Is it politics or just business people who have some financial incentive to drag this out? Or just stupidity?

By the way...how's the signature Peace Bridge coming along?

2027 does seem to far off. When they get shovels in the ground it should take 2.5-3 years to build it. Having Hochul on the Bills side should help them get thru all potential problems that could come up with a project like this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.