AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — The Buffalo Bills’ proposed new $1.4 billion stadium would include about 60,000 seats and 60 suites, The Associated Press has learned.

The Bills’ proposal includes a timeline for construction with a completion date pegged for no later than 2027 based on how quickly a deal can be struck, a person with direct knowledge of the documents presented to state and county officials told the AP on condition of anonymity because the plan has not been made public. 

The team’s current lease expires in July 2023 and would be extended until the new facility is opened, should the project be approved by the state of New York and Erie County.

The proposed capacity is about 12,000 seats less than the Bills’ current facility, now called Highmark Stadium, which was built in 1973. The new venue would not include a roof, but it would be designed so that a majority of the seats would be protected from the elements, the person said.

The expectation is the state and county will be asked to cover more than 50% of the project, raising concerns about the potential for taxpayer funding.

PSE’s proposal is considered preliminary and subject to change based on discussions, with no renderings of the proposed facility having yet been submitted. Talks have been slowed in part because of New York’s change in governor, with Kathy Hochul taking over last week following Andrew Cuomo’s resignation.

Hochul is from Buffalo, and has already had contact with PSE officials. 

Her office released a statement to The AP on Monday which read: “No one is more committed to keeping the Bills in Buffalo than Gov. Kathy Hochul, a long time Buffalo Bills fan. Negotiations are ongoing, and her administration looks forward to sharing details with the public as soon as negotiations are completed.”

Old thread is officially outdated with the new ETA

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Who's got the cash to fill up those 60 suites?  I realize that's a big source of money for other teams but will that work in Buffalo?

With the new thread I will repeat this post.

60 suites is less than half of the number of suites in the average NFL stadium.

It seems right for Buffalo. 

https://alsd.com/content/premium-seat-industry-reference-points

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Who's got the cash to fill up those 60 suites?  I realize that's a big source of money for other teams but will that work in Buffalo?

Between corporate sponsors, corporations using it as part of gladhanding/business development and well off people getting a permanent box for the year for 60 legal entities should not be that difficult. The WNY area can easily support dozens of private golf clubs with yearly dues into the 10's of thousands of dollars a year and very steep initiation fees. Getting a box for the year is basically the same deal.

6 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Southern Ontario businesses will likely get in on them too. Toronto and Hamilton are close enough that you can get some businesses to have them.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I am good with it, 

Protected Fans from elements, Likely the right TGT size for the Market. 

What is going to be my PSL cost, I will mail it in

Agreed.  I wanted it downtown, but oh well.  Once this thing is starting to get built, most people will get more excited about it.  Just make sure its nice and it at least comes close to justifying its price tag.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Superbowl venue for 2028

Never happen.

It would be the smallest Super Bowl of all time.

WNY doesn't have the infrastructure for the game, not enough hotel rooms, bars, restaurants, etc, airport couldn't t even park all the planes.

And lets not even mention the weather possibility.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by 2027
1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Never happen.

Not at all and it has more to do with logistics than the usual cold-weather weather excuse (though that probably does effect things too)

The biggest issue is that the Orchard Park/Buffalo area probably couldn’t handle the amount of Super Bowl visitors. Even, if they could the accommodations wouldn’t be very good.   Buffalo is not meant to host an event like the Super Bowl in any way

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.