TE Hollister Released

RyanC883

11 hours ago, QCity said:

If you told me last Spring that the team would sustain no major injuries to key players this offseason and the biggest controversy about the 53-man roster is that we cut our 3rd string TE, I would have said you're dreaming and your expectations are set way too high.

You missed the gunner discussion

• Haha (+1) 1

Beane seemed to feel that Hollister would draw considerable interest on the open market and sign elsewhere "soon"

I wonder if teams are holding back because as a vested veteran, so if he's on the roster opening day his salary is guaranteed?

Some writers seem to think the Seasnakes may want him back:

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-report/with-colby-parkinsons-status-up-in-air-jacob-hollister-reunion-could-appeal-to-seahawks

Second-year tight end Colby Parkinson is currently nursing a foot injury that kept him out of all three preseason games, and his status for Week 1 is still very much up in the air. Seattle has already reportedly waived tight ends Cam Sutton and Ian Bunting, but 2020 undrafted free agent Tyler Mabry is still a possibility to make the active roster if it is determined Parkinson will be unable to go right away.

Would the Seahawks prefer Hollister over Mabry? It's certainly possible. Similar to Parkinson, Mabry also missed a good chunk of training camp due to a foot injury, but he was able to make his return before the team's preseason finale against the Chargers this past Saturday. He's still a bit of a project, offering a nice athletic profile with good blocking mechanics, and the team believes there's upside for him as a pass catcher. But if they're unsure he's ready for NFL action right now, there's a pretty good chance they'd be able to successfully sneak him through waivers and onto their practice squad. 

In an offense expected to heavily emphasize its tight ends group in its attack, the No. 3 man behind Gerald Everett and Will Dissly may actually get some considerable run in games. Hollister may be better suited to handle that responsibility than Mabry, but he—fully aware that his second stint in Seattle may come to an end as soon as Parkinson is healthy—may not want to return on a short-term basis, only to find himself back out on the open market in a few weeks' time. That, of course, could change if Parkinson lands on one of the physically unable to perform or injured reserve lists to open the season. 

The advantage to both Seattle and Hollister is that he's familiar with Wilson. 

They do have a new offense this year under Shane Waldron, so he isn't familiar with that.

5 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

So, they release Matt Barkley, one of Josh’s best friends, in the offseason.   Then, they bring in his Wyoming buddies, Hollister and Tanner Gentry, but now release them.

I hope the ink is dry on that new contract.

Josh is still trying to solidify his status as an elite QB.  He hasn't had time yet to cultivate his "inner diva".

Josh also seems to make friends easily - he said Mitch Trubisky is already becoming one of his best friends.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Josh is still trying to solidify his status as an elite QB.  He hasn't had time yet to cultivate his "inner diva".

Josh also seems to make friends easily - he said Mitch Trubisky is already becoming one of his best friends.

Rodgers has long had something of a prickley personality.  I understand he pretty much disowned his family years ago.  Maybe Josh will become more of a diva over time, but I don't know that it's written in stone.  I agree Josh makes friends easily.  That's part of what is making him beloved as teammate by the rest of the team.  I don't know that Aaron Rodgers inspires warm feelings on the part of all his teammates.  Some love him as a leader and for the things he can do as a QB, but Josh gets that kind of admiration AND the warmth of friendship.

4 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Rodgers has long had something of a prickley personality.  I understand he pretty much disowned his family years ago.  Maybe Josh will become more of a diva over time, but I don't know that it's written in stone.  I agree Josh makes friends easily.  That's part of what is making him beloved as teammate by the rest of the team.  I don't know that Aaron Rodgers inspires warm feelings on the part of all his teammates.  Some love him as a leader and for the things he can do as a QB, but Josh gets that kind of admiration AND the warmth of friendship.

In other words:  Aaron Rodgers is a dick and Josh Allen isn't.

I can't see either of those things changing.  Ever.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'd add to that another thing I don't see changing is a good working relationship between Josh and McBeane. People can fault Rodgers all they want, but the sentiment of "You didn't take my opinion into account at all when making personal decisions" is understandable. I have to think Beane and McD will be a lot more open and upfront with Josh which in turn should substantially help their relationship.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Reader said:

I'd add to that another thing I don't see changing is a good working relationship between Josh and McBeane. People can fault Rodgers all they want, but the sentiment of "You didn't take my opinion into account at all when making personal decisions" is understandable. I have to think Beane and McD will be a lot more open and upfront with Josh which in turn should substantially help their relationship.

...as evidenced by all the guys from Wyoming.

43 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't want to get into a dick-measuring contest (see what I did? heh)

But I think it's plausible, given Josh develops as we all hope and becomes a star in the league for a long time, that at some point he will start to chafe and want more influence, especially if the team around him has talent gaps as the years go on.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't want to get into a dick-measuring contest (see what I did? heh)

But I think it's plausible, given Josh develops as we all hope and becomes a star in the league for a long time, that at some point he will start to chafe and want more influence, especially if the team around him has talent gaps as the years go on.

Yea there will come a time when Josh wants to have a say in personnel. There always does. One of the reasons Brady left New England was because he didn't like their roster building. He goes to Tampa and they sign his buddies. Manning did the same at the end in Indy and Denver. Rodgers is a dick about it, no doubt. I think he is a bit of a dick generally who sulks when he doesn't get his own way. I doubt Josh becomes that but I can see a day when he starts wanting more of a say. 

On one hand, I understand why they kept Sweeney assuming it was close between himself and Hollister for the #2 TE job.

But the fact remains is that Sweeney has not been able to stay on the field and Hollister is a proven commodity in this league.

Just think this is one of those moves that could backfire down the road.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea there will come a time when Josh wants to have a say in personnel. There always does. One of the reasons Brady left New England was because he didn't like their roster building. He goes to Tampa and they sign his buddies. Manning did the same at the end in Indy and Denver. Rodgers is a dick about it, no doubt. I think he is a bit of a dick generally who sulks when he doesn't get his own way. I doubt Josh becomes that but I can see a day when he starts wanting more of a say. 

And when that day comes you give it to him. Josh just strikes me as too down to earth to ever be the prickly premadonna that Aaron is.