TE Hollister Released

RyanC883

I think a collection of factors led to Hollister being released:

1.  Sweeney was close to being healthy (practiced today) and gives Buffalo a more rounded TE than Hollister.  Sweeney can block.

2. Reggie Gilliam can contribute in multiple TE sets when Buffalo wants to use him there.  I understand he practiced as a tight end today.

3.  Jake Kumerow can do a lot of the things a receiving TE can do.

4.  Buffalo decided to go a little heavier on the OL and receiver position, though Stevenson was sent to the IR (available to return)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, BigAl2526 said:

1.  Sweeney was close to being healthy (practiced today) and gives Buffalo a more rounded TE than Hollister.  Sweeney can block.

2. Reggie Gilliam can contribute in multiple TE sets when Buffalo wants to use him there.  I understand he practiced as a tight end today.

4.  Buffalo decided to go a little heavier on the OL and receiver position, though Stevenson was sent to the IR (available to return)

Love 1 & 3 but still need Hollister on this roster:cry:

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

1. Sweeney is not even in the same league as Hollister as a pass catcher.

2. Gilliam is 6' tall and has caught a total of 2 passes in his career.

3. Kumerow weighs 209 lbs, he's not a te or a replacement for one. He's a wr.

4. This has no bearing on which tes they keep.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I disagree Sweeney is a good pass catcher he is not as athletic as Hollister but he is a better blocker he gets hurt a lot to

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Hollister was also not re-signed by two different teams, signed to a low contract, and hasn’t found a new home yet either. Not like he’s thought of as a stud around the league. Maybe not even worthy of any 53 although I think eventually he will sign with someone. He was undrafted. The Pats traded him for a 7th round pick. He was released by Seahawks then re-signed to PS before making roster halfway through season. 

He was literally carried off the field by his Seahawks teammates; so his teammates appear to think of him highly.  

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Edited by OrediggerPoke

5 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

He was literally carried off the field by his Seahawks teammates; so his teammates appear to think of him highly.  

He caught 25 balls. They didn't try to resign him. They decided they wanted to go with livinf legends Will Dissly, Colby Parkinson and Tyler Mabry instead, before signing Gerald Everett after Hollister signed with the Bills.

If you told me last Spring that the team would sustain no major injuries to key players this offseason and the biggest controversy about the 53-man roster is that we cut our 3rd string TE, I would have said you're dreaming and your expectations are set way too high.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

If you told me last Spring that the team would sustain no major injuries to key players this offseason and the biggest controversy about the 53-man roster is that we cut our 3rd string TE, I would have said you're dreaming and your expectations are set way too high.

Gone are the days of crying about Jauron's conditioning team getting our guys hurt.

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Hollister is a proven pass catcher on the pro level.  Sweeney is not.  He's not had much of a chance due to injury.  Frankly, we don't know how good he is or isn't.  Sweeney is a better blocker.  Yes, Gilliam is short.  He's also been little used in Buffalo's offense thus far.  Of course, he played his college career as a tight end, so he knows the position.  He's also very athletic.  While he's been little used in the offense thus far, the Bills have seen lots of plays in practice and probably have a better grasp of his potential.  Kumerow doesn't have tight end body mass, but he certainly has tight end height and reach.  He has great hands and wins one on one battles with DBs.  No, Kumerow is not going to run through linebackers, but there are going to be lots of occasions where he could serve as a safety valve in a similar manner to a tight end.  

At this point, nobody knows why the Bills chose to cut bait with Hollister, but the fact is they did, and they had some reason for doing so..  I expressed an opinion.  You have a perfect right to a different one.

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Outside the 2018 season and a few this year, he actually has stayed healthy.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/3/21/22341413/injury-analysis-buffalo-bills-te-jacob-hollister-2021-nfl-free-agency

The comment about "staying healthy" was about Sweeny, not Hollister

On 8/31/2021 at 8:55 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All I can say is no point in getting fussed for the next 2-3 days until we see if Hollister is indeed brought back or someone else is brought in from another team

Ohh I am not, just saying how I feel if we don't... I was talking to my father in law today and he was mad that the Browns had cut KhaDarel Hodge and I told him that the Browns may do what the Bills do and put him on the practice squad. Just saw that he was claimed by the Lions... oops :P 

4 hours ago, Turk71 said:

All excellent points. This organization has got to find a way to get Hollister back. Our TE's are pathetic. 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

So, they release Matt Barkley, one of Josh’s best friends, in the offseason.   Then, they bring in his Wyoming buddies, Hollister and Tanner Gentry, but now release them.

I hope the ink is dry on that new contract.

Josh hasn't gone full Aaron Rodgers yet, he isn't making personnel decisions. Wait another 10 years.