Cam Newton Released

gonzo1105

14 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Not afraid of another Alabama QB coming into the NFL. The last Alabama QB to ever win a playoff game was Richard Todd for the 1983 Jets. The only Bama QB since, to play in a playoff game, was AJ McCarron five years ago, and that was because of an injury. Alabama QBs are the most overrated athletes in the world. It's hard for them to transition to the NFL after playing behind the best OL's by far, always have the best group of WR's and RB's in all of college football. Mac Jones is no different, I don't care who is coaching him. He's not in "Bama" anymore. Good luck rook, you're gonna need it. 

This is kind of a ridiculous argument. Who was the last truly good LSU QB since Bert Jones? Who has Tenneseee produced besides Payton Manning? Florida? Auburn outside of Cam Newton? Michigan outside of Brady and possibly Harbaugh? UCLA outside of Aikman and maybe Billy Kilmer?  USC outside of Carson Palmer? Ohio State? Wisconsin outside of Russell Wilson? Texas? Texas A and M? The only schools that have produced at least three good-to-excellent QBs going back to 1960 are Stanford (Plunkett, Elway, Luck, Brodie), Alabama (Bart Starr, Namath, Stabler, all in the HOF), Purdue (Brees, Griese, Len Dawson, maybe Jim Everett), Cal (craig Morton, Rogers, maybe Bartkowski, and maybe Goff, who has had a couple of great seasons so far), Oregon (Fouts, Van Brocklin, and I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Herbert), and maybe Washington (Moon, Brunell, maybe Chris Chandler [who did have a couple of great seasons]). Maybe BC too (Ryan, Flutie, Hasselback).

A lot have two (eg, ND with Montana and Lamonica; Miami with Kelly and Kosar; Ole Miss with Archie and Eli Manning), but most storied programs have no more than that and often only just one.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

This is kind of a ridiculous argument. Who was the last truly good LSU QB since Bert Jones? Who has Tenneseee produced besides Payton Manning? Florida? Auburn outside of Cam Newton? Michigan outside of Brady and possibly Harbaugh? UCLA outside of Aikman and maybe Billy Kilmer?  USC outside of Carson Palmer? Ohio State? Wisconsin outside of Russell Wilson? Texas? Texas A and M? The only schools that have produced at least three good-to-excellent QBs going back to 1960 are Stanford (Plunkett, Elway, Luck, Brodie), Alabama (Bart Starr, Namath, Stabler, all in the HOF), Purdue (Brees, Griese, Len Dawson, maybe Jim Everett), Cal (craig Morton, Rogers, maybe Bartkowski, and maybe Goff, who has had a couple of great seasons so far), Oregon (Fouts, Van Brocklin, and I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Herbert), and maybe Washington (Moon, Brunell, maybe Chris Chandler [who did have a couple of great seasons]). Maybe BC too (Ryan, Flutie, Hasselback).

A lot have two (eg, ND with Montana and Lamonica; Miami with Kelly and Kosar; Ole Miss with Archie and Eli Manning), but most storied programs have no more than that and often only just one.

Would it be remiss to leave off Vinny Testaverde from Miami's column? :w00t:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Not afraid of another Alabama QB coming into the NFL. The last Alabama QB to ever win a playoff game was Richard Todd for the 1983 Jets. The only Bama QB since, to play in a playoff game, was AJ McCarron five years ago, and that was because of an injury. Alabama QBs are the most overrated athletes in the world. It's hard for them to transition to the NFL after playing behind the best OL's by far, always have the best group of WR's and RB's in all of college football. Mac Jones is no different, I don't care who is coaching him. He's not in "Bama" anymore. Good luck rook, you're gonna need it. 

Right. And I'm not afraid of some University of Wyoming quarterback coming into the NFL until one actually gets to a playoff game and maybe wins a something or other...

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not that I am here telling you Tua is great, I have my doubts about him too and while I see small improvements in pre-season I haven't seen anything suggesting he is about to have a major jump, but let's just stress test the statement above. Tua started 9 games and went 6-3. In two of those he was benched for Fitzpatrick - a comeback win against the Raiders and a loss against the Broncos. So in the games Tua started and finished as the Dolphins Quarterback he was 5-2. That doesn't look like a record that would "not have been close to the playoffs."  

Sure but if were gonna contextualize the losses I think the wins should be as well.  Rams had 4 TOs! in that game.  Cardinals gave up a huge defensive TD that was I think at least a 10 point swing. Oakland you took off his win total but is almost certainly a loss if he stays in the game.  Also very hard to get too excited by his <175 yards passing in wins against chargers and Pats.  I also see some fortunate ST plays like a blocked punt against chargers and missed game tying FG on the final drive of the Cardinals game.

Basically wins and losses are a team stat.  I thought you were on board with that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

That argument always makes me chuckle. There aren't college football programs year after year producing NFL ready QBs. Look at the best QBs in the league now, Mahomes is from Texas Tech, when have they ever turned out a QB. Josh Allen, we know that story. You've covered Russell Wilson. Deshaun Watson from Clemson, again when have they turned out a QB of note.

It's a funny one and I think it has to do with how rare really good QBs are. It's more than just the schools they go to.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Sure but if were gonna contextualize the losses I think the wins should be as well.  Rams had 4 TOs! in that game.  Cardinals gave up a huge defensive TD that was I think at least a 10 point swing. Oakland you took off his win total but is almost certainly a loss if he stays in the game.  Also very hard to get too excited by his <175 yards passing in wins against chargers and Pats.  I also see some fortunate ST plays like a blocked punt against chargers and missed game tying FG on the final drive of the Cardinals game.

Basically wins and losses are a team stat.  I thought you were on board with that.

I am. But equally that still doesn't equate to they wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs without Fitz which was the statement I was questioning. The Dolphins were in the playoff race last year largely because of defense and special teams regardless of who was under center. If the statement had been "Tua didn't do much to win the 'Fins games in 2020" I likely would not have challenged it. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am. But equally that still doesn't equate to they wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs without Fitz which was the statement I was questioning. The Dolphins were in the playoff race last year largely because of defense and special teams regardless of who was under center. If the statement had been "Tua didn't do much to win the 'Fins games in 2020" I likely would not have challenged it. 

Word I agree.  Thanks.

The pats drooling will never end

Mac Jones was too good. The Patriots' decision to release Cam Newton was a surprise primarily because they chose to go from one of the best backup quarterback situations in football to one of the worst. But it's impossible to deny Jones earned the starting job. He was Pro Football Focus' highest-graded passer this preseason among QBs with more than 40 dropbacks and their highest-graded rookie quarterback since they started tracking preseasons in 2013. By most accounts, Jones was better in practices, too. It doesn't take Bill Belichick to see the next-level traits Jones showed with his uncanny accuracy, excellent footwork and decision making.

Perhaps Belichick was wary of Newton's vaccination status or how his strong leadership and support from his teammates would play out as a backup. Perhaps Newton wanted a chance to catch on elsewhere like Dallas and Belichick gave it to him. Either way, New England is now one snap away from Hoyer playing. (Hoyer is reportedly expected to be re-signed after also being cut Tuesday in a procedural move.) The Patriots should be better with Jones leading the team this year, and they have a playoff-ready offensive line and defense. But they are undeniably worse if anything happens to their starting QB now when they were set to have one of the best backups in football.

On 8/31/2021 at 11:56 AM, TN Bills Fan said:

Belichek wants 100% dedicated to football.  He has cut guys who left to get their degrees finished.  Covid stuff not flying with him.

And yet, with you and some Pats fans hypothesizing that Cam was cut in part due to Covid and his stance on the vaccine, Belichick stands up in front of the media and says that vaccination was not a factor in his personnel decisions.

Where's @Kelly the Dog you may have a valid point in this instance.

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And yet, with you and some Pats fans hypothesizing that Cam was cut in part due to Covid and his stance on the vaccine, Belichick stands up in front of the media and says that vaccination was not a factor in his personnel decisions.

How often do you think BB is or will be completely honest with the media? Especially when it comes to matters about his team? Not saying he probably wasn't telling the truth. Just i take crap he says with a grain of salt. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

53 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

How often do you think BB is or will be completely honest with the media? Especially when it comes to matters about his team? Not saying he probably wasn't telling the truth. Just i take crap he says with a grain of salt. 

Considering his long, and egregious history of cheating, I'd say that was a wise policy.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Belichick has no choice but to say that.  The NFL has made that clear, going back to their admonishment of Beane earlier this year and the peepee slapping that the old ball coach down in Jacksonville no doubt received.  The reality is that any GM/Coach that does not consider that as a factor, especially for the bottom part of their roster is probably guilty of malfeasance.

Cam has a long history of being a knucklehead, and I could easily see his careless attitude with Covid being a factor.  That and the fact that he just is not very good any more.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Considering his long, and egregious history of cheating, I'd say that was a wise policy.

You think when he goes into the HOF and is still consider the greatest coach of all time, they will put that on his headstone?...in fact you should start a petition.