COVID list and final cutdown?

cage

Does anyone know what are the rules around players on the COVID list at final cutdown?  Both in Training camp and during the season teams are able to fill their roster spot and the players are not on IR, so don't have to wait three weeks.  At final cutdown is that a loophole allows teams to maneuver?  For example, the Colts just added three players including Wentz to the list.  Clearly nobody but the Patriots would try to manipulate use of this list, but just looking for what the rules are....

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, cage said:

Does anyone know what are the rules around players on the COVID list at final cutdown?  Both in Training camp and during the season teams are able to fill their roster spot and the players are not on IR, so don't have to wait three weeks.  At final cutdown is that a loophole allows teams to maneuver?  For example, the Colts just added three players including Wentz to the list.  Clearly nobody but the Patriots would try to manipulate use of this list, but just looking for what the rules are....

They get a roster exemption for the players who are on Covid list.  Colts get to keep 3 more players for now.

So if the player is on the final 53, they get to keep an extra player until he's off the list

If the player is one they want to cut, he doesn't count against the roster until he's off the list.

Would be a hell of a thing: "Hi, welcome back, glad you're healthy and everything's all right.  The team needs to make a move in another direction...."

Wait...that does seem like a big Belicheat sized loophole.

- The reason why you want a player on your 53, even if injured, is so that you can place them on IR and they still will be able to come back from IR during the season.  Players put on IR before the cut down to 53 can't come back and are "lost for the year".

- This leads to the private deals with someone like Andre Roberts who gets cut but, because he is a vested veteran doesn't go on waivers.  Then, the Bills put someone else on the 53, place that player on IR (now that player can come back because he was placed on IR after making the 53), and resign Andre.

- It sounds like this COVID exemption list could be turned into a streamlined version of the above loophole.  They go on the covid list, you get your 53, now it is safe to IR the players that are hurt and the others come off the COVID list.

I am NOT saying we SHOULD do that.  I'm saying that I get what the OP is asking.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Wait...that does seem like a big Belicheat sized loophole.

- The reason why you want a player on your 53, even if injured, is so that you can place them on IR and they still will be able to come back from IR during the season.  Players put on IR before the cut down to 53 can't come back and are "lost for the year".

- This leads to the private deals with someone like Andre Roberts who gets cut but, because he is a vested veteran doesn't go on waivers.  Then, the Bills put someone else on the 53, place that player on IR (now that player can come back because he was placed on IR after making the 53), and resign Andre.

- It sounds like this COVID exemption list could be turned into a streamlined version of the above loophole.  They go on the covid list, you get your 53, now it is safe to IR the players that are hurt and the others come off the COVID list.

I am NOT saying we SHOULD do that.  I'm saying that I get what the OP is asking.  

The problem is the teams don’t decide who is available to go on the COVID list - The NFL decides.

The rules are set up - so if you want to use this loophole - you would need to plan it out over a week in advance to get a positive and close contacts.

Just not happening - you just have so really poorly coached teams - like Tennessee- that keep having issues.  Meathead coach - stupid issues.