Win One Before I Die

Shaw66

"Just One Before I Die."  That's what it reads on my favorite autumn sweatshirt.

The odds don't seem fantastically bad.  Each year the Bills have one chance in thirty-two of winning the Super  Bowl.   I'm 62 now but my family is long lived, so I should - cross my fingers - be around for while.  As I do the math, it seems probable that I'll someday have an opportunity to witness Bills players hoist the Lombardi.

Then again, probability is just speculation with numbers.  With 55 Super Bowls already in the book, probability says the Bills should have won one by now.  Probability says the Bills should have finished victorious in at least one of those four Kelly-era Super Bowls. 

So screw probability, I need an actuality.  Just one.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Hey, for you old timers the Bills already won a couple back in the AFL days.

For us youngsters we've seen nothing but garbage football until McDermott rolled into town.

Lol, I feel like you can count that kinda since it is considered a championship, but also feel like you can't count it in a way. I guess because when you hear about how many times certain teams have been or never have been to or won a Championship, they talk about Super Bowls and AFL Championships are not mentioned lol

Every word you wrote here applies to me, too.

The only thing I might add is that, much as I hope they will win a Super Bowl, in the end many other things in my life are more important, and whatever my life ends up meaning it won't be changed if they win one or not. 

Go Bills!

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Blue Devil 69 said:

I will hit 70 next month.  I grew up in Kenmore, and have been a diehard Bills fan since they played in the Rockpile.  I, too, have late stage cancer, and am about to begin chemo.  Please, please, please win one, guys!

I am so sorry for you. I hope your treatment goes well.❤

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think we have one hell of a chance of reaching the Superbowl this year. Get the #1 seed, it is possible. Get Kansas City in Buffalo in our house, full to the brim, in the weather, in January for a place at the Superbowl. I'm convinced we'd have a better than 50/50 chance of beating them in that scenario. No days off this season. Get the #1 seed and the Bills can go to LA. 

This might be a tough climb given our division.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm up there too.

One of my two sons, who join me every Sunday afternoon for Bills games at our house, asked me a poignant question about five years ago.

He said, "Dad, you have done everything you ever wanted to do. What are you going to do if they actually ever win one?"

I told him I was going to go up on the roof of my house, and using the last quote from Jesus, state "It is finished," then step off.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I've got my fingers crossed for you!  I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1988, right at the beginning of our great run, and watching the Bills and being there in Rich Stadium during those years, albeit bald and sickly, definitely helped me make it through a couple of tough years as a kid.  Let this current team be a similar respite for you during this time (should you need it).

Thanks for the kind words and good thoughts. Although I'm not a kid anymore (turned 61 this year) I'm still pretty tough and got through this the 1st time, and I'm not done fighting.

BTW, are you the same guy from the BBMB, who used to have epic conversations with Wyo and Wabills, because those threads were very entertaining.

34 minutes ago, Blue Devil 69 said:

I will hit 70 next month.  I grew up in Kenmore, and have been a diehard Bills fan since they played in the Rockpile.  I, too, have late stage cancer, and am about to begin chemo.  Please, please, please win one, guys!

Thanks, I hope and send good thoughts to you for your recovery and for our Bills. Good luck on your chemo, it really helped me with my chemo to keep a positive attitude the last time, knowing there were people who were rooting for me. May you be blessed with the same. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

Being a sports fan is a funny business.  None of my teams have won a championship in my lifetime (over 50 years).  I'm a Knicks and Bills fan. I don't care about hockey. I do like the Yankees, but only became a baseball fan in the past few years, so they've been plucky underdogs in my time & not the evil empire.

It's a world of pain, if you really care.  I'm embarrassed sometimes by how much I care, but I do. I lose sleep after big losses.  I get down.

As a Bills fan, I'm not sure if I would have signed up for all of what we've gone through.  4 brutal losses in a row in the biggest game.  An endless quest for a franchise QB, and more "pull defeat from the jaws of victory" losses than I'd ever care to count.  From Pittsburgh's 2nd stringers w/ Bledsoe to Dallas MNF to McKelvin's drop and all the rest.  Just gut-wrenching, with not many good moments to offset anything.

And man, 20 years of having one team just own us as New England has. I genuinely need therapy about that.  It's more than a fan should have to go through.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Just one before I die.  One Lombardi can definitely make it all seem worthwhile, and will be a joyous occasion for all of us, I'm sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The 1st thing I thought of when Josh signed his extension was that I probably won't be around to see his entire career.  I think a lot of us older fans thought that along with the sooner they win the Super Bowl the better chance I'll get to see it.  

For years, when the Bills were in another rebuild, I would preach patience and always said about the current group of players: I was here before you & I'll be here after you have retired.   Well now in my late 60s with some of my parts breaking down, I realize if they don't win it soon, I'll never see a Bills Super Bowl victory.  For some my age they think they have a long time left.  Some of us do & some of us don't.  I'm one of the ones who most likely don't.  I have a pretty good idea what will kill me, so I'm not just talking gloom & doom.  I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's real.  

When the Bills win it, think about the people you know who didn't live to see it.  I'm sure most of you know at least one & possibly a lot more, and be thankful you were alive to see it happen.  I know as long as I'm physically able, I'll be in the stadium when it happens and it will be one of the best days of my life.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Well, I've been around since 1956 and have survived a major heart surgery, so I'm with you Shaw. If this current regime can't do it, I doubt I'll live to see it. We're close, but I really feel like we need to be much tougher in the trenches. Hopefully the young D Linemen will all turn out well. Next year I hope we turn more attention to upgrades at G and CB.

Boy, Billy…solid.

I was their for SB XXV myself.

One of the vendors took pity on me on the way back to our RV and gave me a Bills banner for free.

My days are longer behind me than they are in front of me and this is a feeling I wish I could experience just once.  Stay healthy, team, play smart, and win…please.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BTB said:

100+ combined years of following the Bills and Sabres, and the “just one in my lifetime” has been my mantra for a while now.  🤞🤞🤞🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Ha - me too....though following the Sabers has been pretty pathetic....This current version of the Bills should be contenders for several years.  These guys have no sense of being part of bad teams with year after year coaching changes and systems changes and yada yada yada so maybe just maybe we can feel comfortable in thinking the team may get one....

Nice write up Shaww66, 

I am now in the officially old category, collecting social security now, 😁,

and yes it would be really cool to see Buffalo bring one home before I can’t remember my own name,

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Boy, Billy…solid.

I was their for SB XXV myself.

One of the vendors took pity on me on the way back to our RV and gave me a Bills banner for free.

My days are longer behind me than they are in front of me and this is a feeling I wish I could experience just once.  Stay healthy, team, play smart, and win…please.

Donuts I moved to Tampa five days before the Whitney Houston song.  My 7 buddies (all Giants fans which sucked although they made a faint approach of being kind) and I showed up at 8 am in the Tampa Mall across the street from the sombrero.  We were pretty much almost the first there with 5 cases of beer.  Placed our lawn chairs right in front of the movie screen on the wall of Macy’s and of course we didn’t have the $ to get in the game.

Funny as I just drive everything I had down at 21, 1500 miles away and swear I saw at least 100 people I knew one week later.  This time we’re going to do it brother.  We win at KC amd I believe we are a lock.  That’s my SB and I’m going to be on pins and needles all week.

• Awesome! (+1) 1