Favorite Beef on Weck in Buffalo

Another Fan

When I was a kid, the corner family pub in Hamburg on Lake Shore (Wanakah) was the Cloverbank Hotel. In those days it was common to have a family dining room, separated from the bar with a wall. We got mostly Fish Fries and beef sandwiches for dinner. 

The way I remember it being ordered, beef on weck was a sliced beef sandwich on white bread with mashed potatoes, drowned in gravy. This was meant to be eaten with a fork.

Beef on Kummelweck then was what we know today as simply Beef on Weck, with the salty roll, but that was over 50 yeas ago .

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Draconator said:

I went there straight from the airport a few years ago for the beef on weck, which was awesome. What stole the show, however, was the German potato salad. I had forgotten how good that could be! 

We arrive for the opener on Saturday and depart VERY early Monday. I want to get in Ted’s hot dogs, quality wings, beef on weck and Bocce pizza with cup and char pepperoni. I’ll be with our DIL who is a vegetarian. Hmmmm, WNY is NOT know for the vegetarian food. Fortunately, she is very interested in seeing The Anchor Bar just for the history of it and I can knock out wings and BoW with one meal. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Was it pandemic related?

Might be.  The website shows a cryptic message that pops up upon entry:

Closed Until Further Notice

We have decided to temporarily close until further notice. We’ll keep everyone updated on our future plans and guidelines for reopening.
Thank you!
Stay safe and God Bless💜

16 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Might be.  The website shows a cryptic message that pops up upon entry:

Closed Until Further Notice

We have decided to temporarily close until further notice. We’ll keep everyone updated on our future plans and guidelines for reopening.
Thank you!
Stay safe and God Bless💜

That's a bummer.  They served an excellent BoW at that place in my opinion

5 hours ago, rockpile said:

When I was a kid, the corner family pub in Hamburg on Lake Shore (Wanakah) was the Cloverbank Hotel. In those days it was common to have a family dining room, separated from the bar with a wall. We got mostly Fish Fries and beef sandwiches for dinner. 

The way I remember it being ordered, beef on weck was a sliced beef sandwich on white bread with mashed potatoes, drowned in gravy. This was meant to be eaten with a fork.

Beef on Kummelweck then was what we know today as simply Beef on Weck, with the salty roll, but that was over 50 yeas ago .

That was my wife's family fish fry place on Fridays... She grew up in Lackawanna. Owner was Dan... FiL called him "Big Dan"... I believe when he passed away, the business closed. I think... Shortly after his passing. 😔 

57 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That was my wife's family fish fry place on Fridays... She grew up in Lackawanna. Owner was Dan... FiL called him "Big Dan"... I believe when he passed away, the business closed. I think... Shortly after his passing. 😔 

Dan used to play Santa at the Christmas party. Big Dan did not need any padding under his suit! 😁 It was a bar/restaurant but during dinner hours it was a real neighborhood pub. 😀 Many times after supper during the week when it was slower, the Moms would visit in the dining room while kids played and the Dads moved into the bar area. Early sixties reality was not Leave it to Beaver, but working class family values were strong. The building is not even there anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.