Views from the Opposition City - week 1 Pittsburgh

Lothar

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

CB, maybe a mistake, but the 60’s Steelers were atrocious.  They traded away Len Dawson and were perpetual losers.  They turned it around when Knoll took over in 69.  They started winning in 70 and thereafter.  Before my time, but the older guys on the board can verify.

Bottom line is their line will suck week 1.  They may improve throughout the year, but they are in trouble facing this offense week 1.  The Bills are going to shred them.  GROOT is going to have a field day.  I can’t wait to see this guy this year.  You can’t underscore how much better this defense will be if he is even close to what he was in the PS.

Yes they were.  My point was my buddy remembers those days and knows they could return unlike most obnoxious Steeler fans!

LOL.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/31/2021 at 5:45 AM, Greg S said:

I am worried about the Steelers running on the Bills. I also think this will be a close game. The Bills should win but I could see a 27-24 type of game.

Every team will be looking to run and control the ball against the Bills.  And the Bills, like most every team require some rhythm on offense and if the other team is effectively running the ball and chewing up the clock, it makes it tough for the Bills offense as well because if they punt, then they lose more clock, if they score right away, they still give the ball right back. 

Bills have to do a better job stopping the run and they also need to be able to run the ball themselves especially on the 2nd or 3rd and 2 plays.  To me, that is the key to their season, not Josh Allen.  

25 minutes ago, dakrider said:

Every team will be looking to run and control the ball against the Bills.  And the Bills, like most every team require some rhythm on offense and if the other team is effectively running the ball and chewing up the clock, it makes it tough for the Bills offense as well because if they punt, then they lose more clock, if they score right away, they still give the ball right back. 

Bills have to do a better job stopping the run and they also need to be able to run the ball themselves especially on the 2nd or 3rd and 2 plays.  To me, that is the key to their season, not Josh Allen.  

Agree with most except the last sentence. As long as Josh Allen is the QB, he will be the key to this season and every season he plays in after that.

• Like (+1) 3

On 8/31/2021 at 10:22 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

It is crazy.

He didn't tell me he Haskins was looking amazing but did say he's surprised he's looked impressive.  

The Steelers are going to be roughly .500 this year.

Really? I heard on "Movin' the Chains" that Haskins would have been a likely cut if Rudolph hadn't got hurt. That he is not picking up the offense well.

On 8/31/2021 at 3:05 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's one reason the Bills wanted Sanders.

Quick passes to the backs and TE are the bread-and-butter way most teams.  We don't have that.  Our equivalent is the quick pass to Beasley.  Well there's just one of him, teams can shut that down.  Against Pitts, we changed the routes Diggs was running and hit him quickly.  So the idea is , if they have to defend 2 WR who can find the seams, they have to back off the pressure a bit.  Having Sanders means they still have to defend Diggs on the intermediate stuff.

This 100%...we figured out a way to beat these guys last year and that was when they had Steven Nelson and Mike Hilton (both underrated CBs IMO) who were sticky in coverage while Watt, Heyward, and Co. were getting after Josh. Pittsburgh didn't adequately replace Nelson or Hilton who left in FA so the quick passing game should be a much easier task this time around for that reason plus the addition of Sanders like @Hapless Bills Fan mentioned. 

Like another poster already mentioned, the Steelers O-line and CBs look like real weak links to me and those might be the two spots you have to be great at (other than QB) to beat the Bills. 

On 8/31/2021 at 10:58 AM, MasterStrategist said:

Exactly, Mike Hilton was not only a great cover nickle but also his blitzing skills.  Big loss, coupled with Nelson who was better than who they are left with.

Tuitt could still play week 1, to be clear.  He has missed all TC (team defense, did some individual work/conditioning).  Speculation is its not injury, rather he's still coping with mental aspect of death in his family.  Some think he will return, some are saying it's too late to get acclimated for a game in less than 2 weeks.  Tomlin supposed to have an update later this week.

https://triblive.com/sports/knee-injury-latest-setback-for-steelers-defensive-end-stephon-tuitt/

Confirmed knee injury for Tuitt.  Looks like he will be missing week 1 and possibly IR to start season.  

Big loss for Steelers.  They are only carrying 4 corners as of now, would expect they are searching to sign someone before week 1 (hopefully not one of our Ps guys).

Also, Watt still waiting for his massive deal, today was Steelers final practice until Monday.  There is likely a 99.999% chance his deal is done by the weekend, I think almost everyone in Pitt/nfl fans would be shocked otherwise.  He hasn't taken any team reps all camp either, but sure he's an all-pro sure he will be fine.

10 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

https://triblive.com/sports/knee-injury-latest-setback-for-steelers-defensive-end-stephon-tuitt/

Confirmed knee injury for Tuitt.  Looks like he will be missing week 1 and possibly IR to start season.  

Big loss for Steelers.  They are only carrying 4 corners as of now, would expect they are searching to sign someone before week 1 (hopefully not one of our Ps guys).

Also, Watt still waiting for his massive deal, today was Steelers final practice until Monday.  There is likely a 99.999% chance his deal is done by the weekend, I think almost everyone in Pitt/nfl fans would be shocked otherwise.  He hasn't taken any team reps all camp either, but sure he's an all-pro sure he will be fine.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/01/steelers-place-zach-banner-anthony-mcfarland-stephon-tuitt-on-ir/

Yep, Tuitt is on IR. He had 11 sacks last year so this is a pretty big loss for them up front. 

On 8/31/2021 at 6:50 AM, JMF2006 said:

That Pitt Sports Writer might want to talk to this guy Adam Archuleta who admitted during the Miami PS game he was oh so wrong about Josh 3 years ago.

He now wonders how any team can stop him  :)

There might only be 2 worst draws for your opener...KC at Arrowhead and Tampa the defending Champs and even thats debatable.

The Bills at home with a full house on week one with this fan base has got to be right there with those other two.

50,000 for the PS game and they were loud and now 70,000 crazy football starved fans with a contending team to cheer for at last.

This is going to be a beat down of epic purportions  :)

I bought a ticket during the first quarter of the last preseason game. Has “all timer” potential for atmosphere. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/31/2021 at 10:46 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Its in the Steelers fans blood.

My brother is a high IQ guy, level headed and pretty reserved in general.  But he’s a Steelers fan and he legitimately thinks the they are winning the Super Bowl this year.

“Najee Harris has been AMAZING in camp”

”Ben’s arm is back and looks AMAZING in camp”

”Minkah Fitzpatrick is flying around and looks AMAZING in camp”

“Melvin Ingram looks refreshed and playing like he’s 26 again….he’s looked amazing in camp”

I have friends like this, I always remind them that Nathan Peterman looked amazing in camp, he only had one dropped pass in the first three games or something like that. I always get "who the #### is Nathan Peterman" haha.

On 8/31/2021 at 7:45 AM, galept said:

A couple guys on GMFB thought we will lose this game. And front page of ESPN+ has an article (pay wall) saying Buffalo is one of the five teams expected to regress. I don't know how people are looking at two different teams than us, but I certainly felt like we got a lot better over the off-season. Time will tell.

Regress to what?  The Bills were a legit good team last year.  They didn't get lucky.  Unlike say Miami that had a lot of flukey stuff happen in some of their wins that likely isn't repeatable.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think, in general, most people have sold our defense down the river wayyyy too quickly. Anytime the defense has been brought up in the media over the last month it’s been as our Achilles heal. How quickly people forget how solid our defense was in 18 and 19. And honestly it was a top ten unit after the bye week last year. By seasons end the d had crept very close to the brink of being top ten in multiple categories. 

… to watch people talk about our D, you’d think it has been a perennial bottom dweller. 

I used to work in technical support when I was younger and we dealt with IT departments. I would always say it sucked because they didn't just want you to solve their problem that they wanted you to solve it in the way they thought it should be solved. 

This strikes me as a lot like that. People don't want the defense to just stop scoring, they want it done in the way they really would like to see it done. 

McDermott's defense makes team go down the field and take 10+ plays to score. In that time, it's very likely they make mistakes. They don't play a physically dominating, aggressive style that causes a lot of 3 and outs which doesn't seem to sit well with people. 

People tend to have a less favorable view of results provided in a manner they deem unsavory and a lot more accepting of failure that is..

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, downunderbill said:

I have friends like this, I always remind them that Nathan Peterman looked amazing in camp, he only had one dropped pass in the first three games or something like that. I always get "who the #### is Nathan Peterman" haha.

That might be open to interpretation