Views from the Opposition City - week 1 Pittsburgh

Lothar

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's going to depend upon how much passing threat Big Ben can muster.

The Bills D can shut down the run just fine when they don't have to contain a dangerous passer (see Jackson, Lamar)

What I saw last year is for the most part, the Bills defense could do one or the other. If they felt they had to sell out for a big time passer, they gave up the run almost on purpose. I think the defense is going to look very similar this year given the scheme is unchanged. When it comes to selling out for the pass though I’m not sure they will need to do that as much on the back end if the pass rush is better, which they made a huge effort to improve. 

the other piece is that if the offense does what it appears to be capable of, teams won’t be able to just run the ball for very long. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

That Pitt Sports Writer might want to talk to this guy Adam Archuleta who admitted during the Miami PS game he was oh so wrong about Josh 3 years ago.

He now wonders how any team can stop him  :)

There might only be 2 worst draws for your opener...KC at Arrowhead and Tampa the defending Champs and even thats debatable.

The Bills at home with a full house on week one with this fan base has got to be right there with those other two.

50,000 for the PS game and they were loud and now 70,000 crazy football starved fans with a contending team to cheer for at last.

This is going to be a beat down of epic purportions  :)

remember… there’s gonna be a lottttt of Steelers fans at the game, too.

21 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Had lunch with my Steeler fan friend yesterday.  We talk some about the game.  He is a smart football guy and a long long time Steeler fan.

He is not happy with their OL and Secondary which he equates as a big problem in facing the Bills.

FWIW.

they are huge issues for PIT.  PIT will have to try to run it, IMO.  won’t be able to keep up if we drop 30 on them.  Groot should feast. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Had lunch with my Steeler fan friend yesterday.  We talk some about the game.  He is a smart football guy and a long long time Steeler fan.

He is not happy with their OL and Secondary which he equates as a big problem in facing the Bills.

FWIW.

Met plenty of those until it actually comes to talking about their actual team. Then they go off reservation... you found a unicorn.

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

Met plenty of those until it actually comes to talking about their actual team. Then they go off reservation... you found a unicorn.

He's an oldtimer fan.  He remembers the 60s and early 70s Steelers.  He told me last year their big winning streak was a mirage.

He was right.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

they are huge issues for PIT.  PIT will have to try to run it, IMO.  won’t be able to keep up if we drop 30 on them.  Groot should feast. 

Yes.  Looks like a rookie 4th rounder, Dan Moore Jr., starting LT for them too.  

Interesting they played Dan at RT and Chuks at LT all preseason, switching now seems like a bad development for them (Banner had a set back, their starting RT and likely out)

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

He's an oldtimer fan.  He remembers the 60s and early 70s Steelers.  He told me last year their big winning streak was a mirage.

He was right.

They had a great defense a year ago - But like the 2019 bills... they played a pretty weak schedule of offenses.  Jag's week 10 with Luton at QB, Bengals x2 without burrow, the NFC east.  

Offensively they were sub 100 in rushing in 10 of 16 games, and they had fewer than 20 1st downs 20 times.  They added a back but the oline is likely the issue (they had pass pro issues as well).  

Also, they were 1-4 when they didn't take the ball away, and 5-0 when they didn't turn it over.  

• Like (+1) 2

If Ben truly looks like he did a few years back, they could have a good season.
I have little doubt we will see the best version of the Steelers in week 1. They want some revenge, we beat them (well) last year and they were banged up everywhere. It is a good early season test for both teams, by the mid-end of the year will Ben hold up?

That said, Daboll will spread them out and let her fly. I think the Bills are going to come our red hot. 
Bills 34 - Steelers 17

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not enough 

Yeah, might not have many selling their tickets this time with being the opener and first time back in almost 2 years, Then add the excitement and expectations with the team now.

Unless it's not sold out it, season holders may not sell as much as usual

14 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Ben Roethlisberger has entered the chat

I wonder about that. Bills sold an awful lot of season tickets. Hard to imagine THAT many people will cash out on opening day.

I wager there won’t be nearly as many as usual. Here in NW PA almost all the “Stiller” fans that I know who usually frequent the game, because it’s such a fun local rivalry, will not be going based on the not wanting to pay such an elevated price for an away game. 

I think it's going to be a very close game and I think both teams are closer to each other than some fans think. The huge difference is that Pittsburgh is going to transition into a run 1st offense with a power run game which we've had trouble with in the past. When we played Pittsburgh last season half of the defense was injured including stud ILB Devin Bush, all of them are healthy now along with CB Joe Haden, this is going to be a true test right off the bat for Buffalo imo. 

22 hours ago, nucci said:

Not anymore

Thank you, Nuch.  Especially when you consider that Ben isn’t Brady or Rodgers in the sense that 3/4s of the way through your career you don’t decide, “now, I’m going to be healthy” and everything will be hunky-dory.

That’s not the way taking care of yourself for your career works.  That’s how “I don’t want to die soon” works.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

He was right.

CB, maybe a mistake, but the 60’s Steelers were atrocious.  They traded away Len Dawson and were perpetual losers.  They turned it around when Knoll took over in 69.  They started winning in 70 and thereafter.  Before my time, but the older guys on the board can verify.

Bottom line is their line will suck week 1.  They may improve throughout the year, but they are in trouble facing this offense week 1.  The Bills are going to shred them.  GROOT is going to have a field day.  I can’t wait to see this guy this year.  You can’t underscore how much better this defense will be if he is even close to what he was in the PS.

25 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

CB, maybe a mistake, but the 60’s Steelers were atrocious.  They traded away Len Dawson and were perpetual losers.  They turned it around when Knoll took over in 69.  They started winning in 70 and thereafter.  Before my time, but the older guys on the board can verify.

Bottom line is their line will suck week 1.  They may improve throughout the year, but they are in trouble facing this offense week 1.  The Bills are going to shred them.  GROOT is going to have a field day.  I can’t wait to see this guy this year.  You can’t underscore how much better this defense will be if he is even close to what he was in the PS.

I think, in general, most people have sold our defense down the river wayyyy too quickly. Anytime the defense has been brought up in the media over the last month it’s been as our Achilles heal. How quickly people forget how solid our defense was in 18 and 19. And honestly it was a top ten unit after the bye week last year. By seasons end the d had crept very close to the brink of being top ten in multiple categories. 

… to watch people talk about our D, you’d think it has been a perennial bottom dweller. 

• Like (+1) 5

22 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I did the matchups in my head. Cover 1 does very well made breakdowns in advance of games so I will defer to them but from a quick look I think that our strengths and their weaknesses match up very well for us.

The one matchup concern I have is the one thing the Bills have yet to address on defense - what to do about pass-catching TEs? Steelers still have Ebron (assuming he can catch it) and have added Freiermuth (he will catch it). Kelce gave teams a blueprint on how to kill the Bills D with TE , similar to how the Rams schemed up their runs last year to find a particular weakness with the pre-snap set and motion. Hope McD and Frazier have spent time this off-season figuring out how to get it done with scheme because they haven’t added personnel to handle the TE eliminator role.