Views from the Opposition City - week 1 Pittsburgh

Lothar

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It is crazy.

He didn't tell me he Haskins was looking amazing but did say he's surprised he's looked impressive.  

The Steelers are going to be roughly .500 this year.

agree. they have 8 new starters coming in on a team that finished 1-4 down the stretch.... i dont understand what anyone is seeing that says they are gonna beat the Bills. its 2 teams that are CLEARLY headed in opposite directions.

Living in Pitt, here is my take on this:

1. Trib writers: Mark Madden is attached to Ben's you know what and is always looking for attention.  Tim Benz is decent, went to Syracuse but both are in denial about Buffalo chances this yr

2. Steeler fans: most are delusional and too arrogant to be realistic that they are on the decline.  Also, most see Josh Allen as a "running qb" and don't view him as a true threat.  

3. attendance: steeler fans obviously travel well and loyal, but hopefully the high secondary market cost for week 1 will deter some from making the drive.  

4. Steeler offense: expect it to be "small ball" again, with occasional deep passes.  Harris is going to be very good, but that oline is not good.  Young oline, we need to be stunting on 3rd downs and blitzing early to not let Harris get rolling.

5. Steeler defense: still legit, will likely be a Top 10 unit by end of year.  But without Tuitt, this is a much different front.  Watt will likely get his contract redone this week and be ready.  Their secondary is good, but they have issues at 2nd corner and nickle.  Mike Hilton moved on and Haden is losing a step.  Pierre is likely their 2nd corner, is overly aggressive in short zones and young.  I expect us to attack him all day.

Week 1 is always unpredictable but think Steeler fans will be in for a rude awakening

• Agree 1

Granted, I'm one of those who would love to see the remaining unvaccinated Bills just take the plunge, but I think that any perceived unsettledness over COVID, exists in fandom only.  I don't think it is given a second thought in the locker room.

10 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Living in Pitt, here is my take on this:

1. Trib writers: Mark Madden is attached to Ben's you know what and is always looking for attention.  Tim Benz is decent, went to Syracuse but both are in denial about Buffalo chances this yr

2. Steeler fans: most are delusional and too arrogant to be realistic that they are on the decline.  Also, most see Josh Allen as a "running qb" and don't view him as a true threat.  

3. attendance: steeler fans obviously travel well and loyal, but hopefully the high secondary market cost for week 1 will deter some from making the drive.  

4. Steeler offense: expect it to be "small ball" again, with occasional deep passes.  Harris is going to be very good, but that oline is not good.  Young oline, we need to be stunting on 3rd downs and blitzing early to not let Harris get rolling.

5. Steeler defense: still legit, will likely be a Top 10 unit by end of year.  But without Tuitt, this is a much different front.  Watt will likely get his contract redone this week and be ready.  Their secondary is good, but they have issues at 2nd corner and nickle.  Mike Hilton moved on and Haden is losing a step.  Pierre is likely their 2nd corner, is overly aggressive in short zones and young.  I expect us to attack him all day.

Week 1 is always unpredictable but think Steeler fans will be in for a rude awakening

Been saying this all summer. Complete denial over what they're facing for the foreseeable future.

Tuitt is extremely underrated. He's not expected to play week 1? thats news to me i guess.

I'm confused as to why this isnt brought up more when people talk about their defense. Hilton had an argument for best nickel guy in the NFL and Nelson was a rock solid #2 corner. Beasley and sanders should EAT week 1 in the slot. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ben always looks good to start the season. If there is a time they could beat us it is in the first few weeks. I think it might be a close game.

But I expect the Bills to win.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we are a better overall team than the Steelers but week one games are always tricky and this game concerns me for a number for reasons:

- Allen coming out with 'sugar rush' so to speak and not sharp early/turnovers

- Dawkins still not 100% going against the Steelers defense

- Big Ben and the steelers rushing offense dinking and dunking long sustained drives against our defense keeping Allen and the offense off the field.

- Steelers more motivated to quiet all the critics that are already writing them off and assuming they are the 3rd best team in the division.

With all that said, I could see a very tight game that we have to come back and win late in the 4th quarter. If things truly go wrong the Steelers win.

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

Been saying this all summer. Complete denial over what they're facing for the foreseeable future.

Tuitt is extremely underrated. He's not expected to play week 1? thats news to me i guess.

I'm confused as to why this isnt brought up more when people talk about their defense. Hilton had an argument for best nickel guy in the NFL and Nelson was a rock solid #2 corner. Beasley and sanders should EAT week 1 in the slot. 

Exactly, Mike Hilton was not only a great cover nickle but also his blitzing skills.  Big loss, coupled with Nelson who was better than who they are left with.

Tuitt could still play week 1, to be clear.  He has missed all TC (team defense, did some individual work/conditioning).  Speculation is its not injury, rather he's still coping with mental aspect of death in his family.  Some think he will return, some are saying it's too late to get acclimated for a game in less than 2 weeks.  Tomlin supposed to have an update later this week.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think we are a better overall team than the Steelers but week one games are always tricky and this game concerns me for a number for reasons:

- Allen coming out with 'sugar rush' so to speak and not sharp early/turnovers

- Dawkins still not 100% going against the Steelers defense

- Big Ben and the steelers rushing offense dinking and dunking long sustained drives against our defense keeping Allen and the offense off the field.

- Steelers more motivated to quiet all the critics that are already writing them off and assuming they are the 3rd best team in the division.

With all that said, I could see a very tight game that we have to come back and win late in the 4th quarter. If things truly go wrong the Steelers win.

its not 2019 anymore. He'll be fine.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree totally with this. If this game was post week 8 I wouldn't have a single doubt about it. Ben was a good Quarterback through 5 or 6 weeks last year and then his arm just lost all power. Would not be surprised to see the same again. I think the Bills win but Pitt was a team I did not want to see week 1.

It’s good for us to maintain a healthy level of BBFS to begin the season.  The bottom line is that the Stillers are just not a top level team any more.  My concern is more that we’ve beaten them the past two years and they’re 7 point underdogs, so Tomlin will have them playing the “disrespect” card big time.  As we all know, every NFL team has enough talent that on “any given Sunday” they can surprise someone.  What gives me comfort is the fact that the Bills are better from top to bottom, and they are as hungry as any team in the league.  They won’t allow themselves to be overconfident in this game and as long as they play disciplined football the outcome should not be in doubt.  I think the revamped DL is going to give Ben fits, and Josh is just on another level.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, eball said:

It’s good for us to maintain a healthy level of BBFS to begin the season.  The bottom line is that the Stillers are just not a top level team any more.  My concern is more that we’ve beaten them the past two years and they’re 7 point underdogs, so Tomlin will have them playing the “disrespect” card big time.  As we all know, every NFL team has enough talent that on “any given Sunday” they can surprise someone.  What gives me comfort is the fact that the Bills are better from top to bottom, and they are as hungry as any team in the league.  They won’t allow themselves to be overconfident in this game and as long as they play disciplined football the outcome should not be in doubt.  I think the revamped DL is going to give Ben fits, and Josh is just on another level.

The Bills are better. But anyone who disputes it would have been better to play Pitt later is barking up the wrong tree IMO. They still have a good defensive line and a good receiving corps and Ben will be at his freshest. It's going to be a test on opening day. Put it this way if we bash the Steelers and win by two touchdowns I will feel even more confident about what this season as in store. My guess is we win narrowly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah although they had many bad teams on their schedule last season, all you can do is play those teams. Historically they are known for being a pretty good team and Tomlin imo is an excellent coach. Toward the end last season though they fell and fell off quick.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills are better. But anyone who disputes it would have been better to play Pitt later is barking up the wrong tree IMO. They still have a good defensive line and a good receiving corps and Ben will be at his freshest. It's going to be a test on opening day. Put it this way if we bash the Steelers and win by two touchdowns I will feel even more confident about what this season as in store. My guess is we win narrowly.

Sure, on paper playing a banged up Ben is better than playing a fresh Ben, I’ll give you that.  I just don’t think it matters for this Bills team.  How many games have McD’s Bills lost as a favorite?

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Sure, on paper playing a banged up Ben is better than playing a fresh Ben, I’ll give you that.  I just don’t think it matters for this Bills team.  How many games have McD’s Bills lost as a favorite?

Not many. I don't think they will lose this one either, but McDermott's Bills have won a lot of 1 score games. I expect another of those. 

Hmm… good to know some folks think the Steelers are going to win. It’ll make the absolutely devastating beat down of all beat down blowouts that much more satisfying. 

I saw a post saying they think the high after market prices for tickets might keep the well traveled fanbase home for this one. I really do hope so. They’re so entitled and obnoxious. That mixed with alcohol, hot conditions in the stadium, and a year off could lead to some very poor decisions. 

• Like (+1) 2