Is the AFC East the toughest for a new HC?

PatsFanNH

Heard this on Cowherd, and I have to say I agree. The Jets rookie QB and coach will have it harder here because of who else is in the division.

Buffalo - Your HC actually turned the culture around and has probably a top 4 team in the NFL

Miami - Flores has amazed me at least, at how far he has gotten Miami in just 2 years. The Culture there is changing as well.

New England — A lot will argue BB is the GOAT of HC, most will say he is the best HC right now. He did pretty good last year with a JV squad that talent level was almost last in the NFL.

so do you guys agree the AFC East has the toughest group of HC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Flo and McDermott are good leaders.  Rah Rah guys with strong attention to detail.

but no one is confusing them with the chess strategic minds of the nfl changing the game.

they are more in the vein of Harbaugh and Tomlin.

as opposed to the Bellichick, Reid’s, Payton and McVays of the world.

so basically…no new coach to the AFC East should feel overwhelmed by the opposing head coaches (except for Belichick)

new coaches should feel overwhelmed because of the teams the franchises in the division hve built from top to bottom.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Heard this on Cowherd, and I have to say I agree. The Jets rookie QB and coach will have it harder here because of who else is in the division.

Buffalo - Your HC actually turned the culture around and has probably a top 4 team in the NFL

Miami - Flores has amazed me at least, at how far he has gotten Miami in just 2 years. The Culture there is changing as well.

New England — A lot will argue BB is the GOAT of HC, most will say he is the best HC right now. He did pretty good last year with a JV squad that talent level was almost last in the NFL.

I think the AFC North would have to be considered as well.  Both Baltimore and Pittsburgh were top of the league for years. Makes it tough on a rookie HC to come in and succeed when you are facing them 4 times a year with almost guaranteed to be a worse team.  Now with Cleveland being good as well, it would be tougher, though I do think Pittsburgh slides a bit this year. 

Maybe, but I wouldn't rate Flores too highly yet.  They didn't really beat anyone of note last year on their way to 10 wins.  So, AFC East has one HOF coach, a really good young coach and a potentially good young coach.  

The AFC Central, AFC West and NFC South each have two Super Bowl winning coaches, so those divisions aren't the easiest to be stuck in as a 1st year head coach either.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Maybe, but I wouldn't rate Flores too highly yet.  They didn't really beat anyone of note last year on their way to 10 wins.  So, AFC East has one HOF coach, a really good young coach and a potentially good young coach.  

The AFC Central, AFC West and NFC South each have two Super Bowl winning coaches, so those divisions aren't the easiest to be stuck in as a 1st year head coach either.

If that is a legit criteria then you have to include Jon Gruden and his stock has slipped massively. probably why the pats fan started this thread so he/she can bask in the glory of the greatest cheating HC in NFL history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

good points...but all HC are defensive coaches so lets see how they do with the qb position...the Bills qb has the highest ceiling....could 3 teams make the playoffs out of the AFC East this season ?  not likely but possible... got to credit with how and quick Miami rebuilt, tho what helped them was that stupid trade with Hou where they received an over-abundance of high draft picks, the floor is high with Tua, but wonder about the ceiling...hate to say it but BB is going to be a tough out with the usual top D... he went free agent shopping they had a very good draft, they likely found that accurate-proficient-error free qb that BB requires....

7 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

New Hampshire is a hidden gem, I lived in MA, about 30 minutes from Nashua for a couple of years. Frequently visited Keene, Nashua and Brookline.

I think it is tough because of the coaches and teams. Miami, Buffalo and New England are all teams that have like 80-90% of their teams built to make deep playoff runs. Each one is a piece or two short be considered the favorite in the conference.

Billy B is a defensive genius and has his offense play complimentary to it. What has been impressive is how New England can change their offense based on it's personnel to compliment the defense. I think the Pat Defense is going to be top 3 this year with the return of a bunch of key players. Bill went for the 2 TE/ RB bully approach again which takes pressure off the QB and less than stellar WR.

McDermott is also defensive minded and has built some very good defenses like the Panther one that went to the SB. His defense with the Bills doesn't wow you, but it rarely makes a mistake. The offense facing it has to be patient or it will make mistakes and get frustrated. McDermott is also smart enough to realize that the Bills are an offense first team now and has gotten more aggressive with calls. The guy broke a 17 season non playoff streak, and has gotten Buffalo to the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons, with some marginal talent at times.

Miami has been a very good turnaround. They are solid almost all over. They beat on lesser opponents, but struggle against the elite teams. A tough out though. Flores has done more right than wrong, but the handling of the QB situation last year was a red flag IMO.

The Jets are turning things around, but those wins in the division will be earned.

Sports Illustrated has the division being so difficult that it assumes the Bills will be 2-4 in it 😄

There is only one well rounded team in the AFCE, that would be the Buffalo Bills, the other three are sans real QBs, and fall into the wanna be category of NFL teams. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Flo and McDermott are good leaders.  Rah Rah guys with strong attention to detail.

but no one is confusing them with the chess strategic minds of the nfl changing the game.

so basically…no new coach to the AFC East should feel overwhelmed by the opposing head coaches (except for Belichick)

new coaches should feel overwhelmed because of the teams the franchises in the division hve built from top to bottom.

Andy Reid was considered the worst game day coach in football until Patrick Mahomes happened upon him.  Belichick embarrassed McVay on the biggest stage.  Bill waited out the QBs headset to change his defensive calls and Goff and McVay had nothing.

McDermott with the exception of 2 games against KC has looked every bit up to the task of going toe to toe with the leagues best coaches including victories over Belichick, Tomlin, McVay, Shanahan, Harbaugh.  The Bills have been prepared to play every week and put out blue prints on dismantling some of the leagues top defenses and made some high flying offenses look pedestrian.  

The only thing separating McDermott from being considered among the best coaches in the league is a title.

• Like (+1) 8

IDK, if a coach is a rah-rah coach like McD, he is considered by most to not be an x's and o's guy. I don't think that is the case and I base that on the whooping McD gave belicheat last year. Belichek may have changed the league into an X's and O's league, but now it has changed. McD is definitely a cerebral coach. McD is always pushing in all three phases and deserves a lot of credit. Remember he quickly fired what's his name and hired Daboll. He also gave Daboll free reign and supplied his offense with what it needed. I don't think you give Daboll 100% credit for Allen's rise. McD deserves some love here too. And if you watched that game vs. NE last year you saw that the Bills won in all three phases solidly.

You could say Belichek looked like a dope.....

PS - I have been calling for a second AFC East Sweep again this season and I Billieve it.

PSS - I also predict that the fish are not going to make the playoffs. Yeah, that's right. They are not as good as fans think. NE and Buffalo will sweep them, imho..... (NE will lose to Buffalo because we are an elite team, but NE is good and will beat up on Miami too.) Miami is loaded at receiver and in the secondary. Unfortunately, not anywhere else..... And I think the Bills got the better player in the draft. I think Miami's end will always battle injuries..... Groot is just a stud. Wait until next year when Groot gets used to the NFL and gets another offseason lifting weights.

Go Bills!

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Andy Reid was considered the worst game day coach in football until Patrick Mahomes happened upon him.  Belichick embarrassed McVay on the biggest stage.  Bill waited out the QBs headset to change his defensive calls and Goff and McVay had nothing.

McDermott with the exception of 2 games against KC has looked every bit up to the task of going toe to toe with the leagues best coaches including victories over Belichick, Tomlin, McVay, Shanahan, Harbaugh.  The Bills have been prepared to play every week and put out blue prints on dismantling some of the leagues top defenses and made some high flying offenses look pedestrian.  

The only thing separating McDermott from being considered among the best coaches in the league is a title.

I agree with everything you said and kind of said so right beneath your comment....just said it differently....

It's a great division for coaches. Salah obviously has to prove it but Flores I have a lot of respect for and the Phone Buster is obviously arguably the greatest. Then McD is so good other teams are trying to find his clone. Salah I feel was picked because they see him as a McD type guy (defensive coach, claps a lot, follicly challenged)

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Yeah he’s a good coach.  I said that.  Level headed, players coach, gets you to believe in yourself…that can be good enough to win too.

but he’s got the horses.

I mean…who is saying “oh god, we have to go up against McDermott’s bend but don’t break defense this week?”  😂 No is saying “oh I wonder what sorts of tricks and what not McDermott is going to throw at the opponent this week.”

Just not the optics or reality of it.

he’s just a really sound coach with a loaded roster.

but your more concerned with the talent than the coach in Buffalo.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Yeah he’s a good coach.  I said that.  Level headed, players coach, gets you to believe in yourself…that can be good enough to win too.

but he’s got the horses.

I mean…who is saying “oh god, we have to go up against McDermott’s bend but don’t break defense this week?”  😂 No is saying “oh I wonder what sorts of tricks and what not McDermott is going to throw at the opponent this week.”

It's an interesting point. Right now if you were to ask people around the league I think they'd give more credit to Daboll because it's the offense that scares people and because of the work he's done with Allen. 

McD, because he's a defensive coach, is obviously associated with that side of the ball, and the defense hasn't been dominant for a while. Though he and Frazier have come up with some excellent game plans from time to time, particularly against Lamar. The way they completely shut him down in the playoffs was incredible.

Of course McD's thing is the leadership and culture he brings to the table. You can't say too much about the way he's transformed the mindset of that team and the perception of it around the league

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

but he’s got the horses.

Besides being an anonymous internet poster....perhaps you can enlighten us with your football credentials to afford such a discount on a coach who turned around a program and went 13-3 as opposed to say a coach who has a losing record when the GOAT isn’t in his line up

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I see you posting every now and again and it is usually something bashing or taking credit away from someone associated with the Bills.

Just wondering what team you root for?