Goodbye to Marcel Louis-Jacques, Hello Alaina Getzenberg

YoloinOhio

21 minutes ago, eball said:

Enjoyed his reporting over Rodak but thinking about which ESPN beat writer is covering the Bills falls to about 87th on my list of things to worry about.

Why would one ever worry about this? Wish the man good luck and then be on your way.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

This definitely gets filed under the "who cares" column.  It's been 15-20 years since anyone relied on ESPN for any insightful commentary

Perhaps in your twisted little world, but for the rest of us who follow and understand sports, he’s been excellent and will be missed!

just a thought; any chance someone higher up on the espn food chain tossed his weight around to steal the Bills gig? Most pundits believe this will be a very special season for us. I think we’d be a choice landing spot for a National beat reporter..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Well I hope he comes here as I’ve heard Howard and Jeremy state they check out our site, and in a couple of cases have started a discussion based on one of our topics.  My point simply is I liked the guy and thought he did a nice job reporting for the Bills.  All the best in his future endeavors.

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well I hope he comes here as I’ve heard Howard and Jeremy state they check out our site, and in a couple of cases have started a discussion based on one of our topics.  My point simply is I liked the guy and thought he did a nice job reporting for the Bills.  All the best in his future endeavors.

There was a few weeks like a year ago where almost every topic of discussion on WGR was discussed here or sabrespace the day or two before. Howard and Jeremy, shopp and bullfrog and the night cap.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

He did a nice job. I was never a Rodak fan, but I think Marcel Louis-Jacques got a much better deal during his time here. It’s more enjoyable to cover a relevant franchise. Any reporter during the drought years was going to incur the wrath of fans, anytime they wrote the truth. There were a lot of Bills fans who didn’t want to hear the truth during those dark years. Give that job to a Pats fan, and you’ve got a recipe for failure. I will say that Louis-Jacques was far more engaged and a more detailed writer than Rodak. He was a huge step up, but I think we’re likely to appreciate our reporters if we keep winning regardless. 

Rodak absolutely was treated poorly and unfairly at points where he would literally just report something with zero spin and get flak. He also did report though where it had a spin that you knew would piss off bills fans and for that I couldn't blame the hate he got in those circumstances.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Rodak absolutely was treated poorly and unfairly at points where he would literally just report something with zero spin and get flak. He also did report though where it had a spin that you knew would piss off bills fans and for that I couldn't blame the hate he got in those circumstances.

If you watch any of his podcast appearances after leaving he relished the "heel" role while here for some reason. Once you establish that kind of persona people only see you as the persona and they will be against you.  

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

It’s so funny how many people wished Marcel well by saying “I liked you so much better than Rodak.” 🤣

To be fair, I view Rodak largely as a victim of circumstance.  He was from New England, reported for the Patriots, during a time when the Bills sucked and the Patriots were winning Super Bowls.  That alone got him heat from fans.

Part of the problem was that Rodak wasn’t very engaging or personable with fans.  He was very straightforward and serious and while he was solid, he never was spectacular with his reporting.  He never really showed much personality either, which was too bad because everyone on the beat seemed to love him.  

Between these issues, he never really got the benefit of the doubt from fans and was absolutely harassed online. 

Rather than dress down fans Tim Graham style, his way of giving fans the finger back was tweeting out biting stats from teams that played the Bills - especially Patriot stats.  It was actually pretty creative.  

Of course, this led to a pretty viscous cycle that he never could overcome - evidenced

by the tweet to Marcel reminding us how badly Rodak sucked.  Overall, he did handle the negativity well and it didn’t seem to bother him too much. 

• Agree 1