[Misleading Title] Engineering A Trade: Kumerow and Johnson

Rigotz

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Everyone put your conspiracy theory hats on... now that Darryl Johnson has been traded, my suspicions were confirmed.

Did anyone else notice Darryl Johnson getting a ton of hype from the local media this off-season, lots of run during the pre-season, and non-stop barrage of positive press from his coaches? The guy is a very good player, but it seemed very odd for him to be getting THAT much hype.

The other player that follows this same script is Jake Kumerow. Non-stop positive press from his coaches, seemingly engineered touches during the pre-season that play to his strengths, and lots of talk in the local media about his special teams ability. With Green Bay trying to keep Aaron Rodgers happy, perhaps Beane is smelling blood on the water?

My theory: the Bills had too much talent at DE and WR, so coaches put Kumerow and Darryl Johnson in position to succeed this pre-season, then asked the local media and coaches to gush about their progress, potential, and Special Teams ability.

Thoughts? We'll see if Kumerow gets traded as well...

I think you're thinking too much!

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s a bit different. Kumerow was getting the hype from the media because he was making plays. 

Thanks Yolo.....the OP had his conspiracy hat tightened down a wee bit too much.....

Go BILLS!

1 hour ago, DasNootz said:

Exactly - this is his ceiling right now.  I’m fine if we keep him as a Duke Williams that can actually come down with the ball in bounds, but the idea that he’ll transcend into a #3 on this team after he turns 30 is silly. 

Well Sanders is WR#2-3 @ 30+ years.  Then there is the Lorax example.  Was a ST ace for years upon years upon years and then blossomed into a starter.  Not saying it happens a lot but it does happen.

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

Agree with much of your post but wouldnt call Davis (6'3" and 212 pound) small.  Maybe you were thinking of McKenzie?

Good catch.  I actually meant to say Sanders and was referencing an earlier post that mentioned Beasley and Sanders, both of whom are getting up there in age.  Clearly, Davis is much younger (and bigger).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

To those rolling their eyes, which is more likely:

Scenario A: Kumerow, a player who was cut by the Bengals, Patriots, Packers, Bills, and Saints, at 29 years old is all of a sudden "making plays all over the field."

Scenario B: He's getting hyped up in an effort to get some value for him.

He did, however, make the plays… unless you think everyone in the media has been lying for a month at the request of the team? 

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Thanks Yolo.....the OP had his conspiracy hat tightened down a wee bit too much.....

Go BILLS!

Well Sanders is WR#2-3 @ 30+ years.  Then there is the Lorax example.  Was a ST ace for years upon years upon years and then blossomed into a starter.  Not saying it happens a lot but it does happen.

Sanders' output bell curves with age too - his most productive years were at age 27 and 28 - younger than Kumerow is now.  Lorax is certainly an exception - though he never played WR.  How many WRs were JAGs from 22-29 and blossomed after the age of 30?

• Agree 1

Kumorow is likely replacing Johnson on STs.  Consider that TD Jesus is better at his primary job (WR) than Johnson was at his primary job (DE) so this becomes the obvious tactical move by Beanes office, ask yourself? How many positive plays in practice, preseason games and in season games do each player represent?  JK wins hands down. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Agreed.  Beasley and Sanders aren't going to be on this team for long and Kumerow could easily have a starting role in this office come 1-2 years from now.  Diggs, Davis, Kumerow isn't that far away for me.  Even if Beasley stays a few years, our number 4 WR (Davis last year) still gets a lot of work. 

I think McKenzie replaces Beasley by the end of the year 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s a bit different. Kumerow was getting the hype from the media because he was making plays. 

I was Bam looking pretty damn from that end position.... He's very big and athletic just not a natural at end. I think the panthers are happy to pay just a sixth (though it is understandable that the Bills really couldn't ask for more.)

At worst, they got an excellent STs player.... Not bad for a sixth. He is very young as well.

I think we keep Kumerow if Beane is anything like me.....that is, extremely nervous that WR depth can dry up overnight.

I don't think you'd get more than a 7th so I'd rather have him. Even on the PS if that's the way it has to be....

I do think Daboll can run offense through Kumerow as long as Diggs and others are also on the field.

What we don't know about however is what Hodgins and Stevenson looked like all camp. I guess Hodgins was cleared to practice recently but I'm not sure on that? Anyone know for sure either way?

If the Bills think they have good potential, I think that maybe trumps Kumerow's what he can do for us now. I don't know, it depends on how much potential? What are their ceilings they think? I don't think we keep all three like Joe B thinks....

Unless we put a couple on IR right after they make the roster.

1 hour ago, Rebel101 said:

I think McKenzie replaces Beasley by the end of the year 

That would be something if he could. You might be underestimating Beasley and overestimating McKenzie.

Beasley is pretty good at sensing where not to go so he doesn't get too injured. Not sure McKenzie can do that?

I like the way Beasley plays the game. Gets wildly open and avoids those hits he cannot take usually.

2 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I was Bam looking pretty damn from that end position.... He's very big and athletic just not a natural at end. I think the panthers are happy to pay just a sixth (though it is understandable that the Bills really couldn't ask for more.)

At worst, they got an excellent STs player.... Not bad for a sixth. He is very young as well.

I think we keep Kumerow if Beane is anything like me.....that is, extremely nervous that WR depth can dry up overnight.

I don't think you'd get more than a 7th so I'd rather have him. Even on the PS if that's the way it has to be....

I do think Daboll can run offense through Kumerow as long as Diggs and others are also on the field.

What we don't know about however is what Hodgins and Stevenson looked like all camp. I guess Hodgins was cleared to practice recently but I'm not sure on that? Anyone know for sure either way?

If the Bills think they have good potential, I think that maybe trumps Kumerow's what he can do for us now. I don't know, it depends on how much potential? What are their ceilings they think? I don't think we keep all three like Joe B thinks....

Unless we put a couple on IR right after they make the roster.

That would be something if he could. You might be underestimating Beasley and overestimating McKenzie.

Beasley is pretty good at sensing where not to go so he doesn't get too injured. Not sure McKenzie can do that?

I like the way Beasley plays the game. Gets wildly open and avoids those hits he cannot take usually.

I feel like Beasley takes the worst hits out of any Buffalo Bill not always but when he gets hit he gets rocked. And I think McKenzie is finding himself as a receiver learning from some of the best in the game. Hence why he came back so cheap. N it’s not so much Beasley play as it’s gonna be a covid issue.  That’s why McKenzie got vaccinated 

Back to Green Bay for for 2 firsts and a second rounder ;) 

Your a wizard Mr Beane ;) 

15 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

I actually thought that Addison was being 'groomed' for a trade earlier in the preseason. There were a number of articles about his newfound leadership, and how he is in great shape, etc. 

Best shape of his life and he was hitting the curve ball now ;)