[Misleading Title] Engineering A Trade: Kumerow and Johnson

Rigotz

Everyone put your conspiracy theory hats on... now that Darryl Johnson has been traded, my suspicions were confirmed.

Did anyone else notice Darryl Johnson getting a ton of hype from the local media this off-season, lots of run during the pre-season, and non-stop barrage of positive press from his coaches? The guy is a very good player, but it seemed very odd for him to be getting THAT much hype.

The other player that follows this same script is Jake Kumerow. Non-stop positive press from his coaches, seemingly engineered touches during the pre-season that play to his strengths, and lots of talk in the local media about his special teams ability. With Green Bay trying to keep Aaron Rodgers happy, perhaps Beane is smelling blood on the water?

My theory: the Bills had too much talent at DE and WR, so coaches put Kumerow and Darryl Johnson in position to succeed this pre-season, then asked the local media and coaches to gush about their progress, potential, and Special Teams ability.

Thoughts? We'll see if Kumerow gets traded as well...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1

Would not surprise me. That being said I would feel better about trading Kumerow then I do about Johnson right now. Though that would be shipping out two guys that figured to play big ST roles...so maybe not?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Everyone put your conspiracy theory hats on... now that Darryl Johnson has been traded, my suspicions were confirmed.

Did anyone else notice Darryl Johnson getting a ton of hype from the local media this off-season, lots of run during the pre-season, and non-stop barrage of positive press from his coaches? The guy is a very good player, but it seemed very odd for him to be getting THAT much hype.

The other player that follows this same script is Jake Kumerow. Non-stop positive press from his coaches, seemingly engineered touches during the pre-season that play to his strengths, and lots of talk in the local media about his special teams ability. With Green Bay trying to keep Aaron Rodgers happy, perhaps Beane is smelling blood on the water?

My theory: the Bills had too much talent at DE and WR, so coaches put Kumerow and Darryl Johnson in position to succeed this pre-season, then asked the local media and coaches to gush about their progress, potential, and Special Teams ability.

Why trade the big, red zone threat?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I heard a lot in the Media about Kumerow making plays.  The Media barely talked about Johnson.

I think you are way overthinking this.

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why trade the big, red zone threat?

Agreed.  Beasley and Sanders aren't going to be on this team for long and Kumerow could easily have a starting role in this office come 1-2 years from now.  Diggs, Davis, Kumerow isn't that far away for me.  Even if Beasley stays a few years, our number 4 WR (Davis last year) still gets a lot of work. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like Jake a lot, but his time is now and not in 2-3 years.  The guy is not a rookie.  He's 29.  He's also a tall guy -  a "bigger" receiver, so I don't see him replacing smaller guys like Beasley and Sanders.  He's a solid WR 4-7 who will get snaps in special situations such as red zone (jump balls) and 5 wide.  Just my opinions, of course.  I have no special insights.

Edited by msw2112
Changed "Davis" to "Sanders"
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

I like Jake a lot, but his time is now and not in 2-3 years.  The guy is not a rookie.  He's 29.  He's also a tall guy -  a "bigger" receiver, so I don't see him replacing smaller guys like Beasley and Davis.  He's a solid WR 4-7 who will get snaps in special situations such as red zone (jump balls) and 5 wide.  Just my opinions, of course.  I have no special insights.

don't forget that he is one of our bigger receivers.

11 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I like Jake a lot, but his time is now and not in 2-3 years.  The guy is not a rookie.  He's 29.  He's also a tall guy -  a "bigger" receiver, so I don't see him replacing smaller guys like Beasley and Davis.  He's a solid WR 4-7 who will get snaps in special situations such as red zone (jump balls) and 5 wide.  Just my opinions, of course.  I have no special insights.

Exactly - this is his ceiling right now.  I’m fine if we keep him as a Duke Williams that can actually come down with the ball in bounds, but the idea that he’ll transcend into a #3 on this team after he turns 30 is silly. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

there is the media's extrapolation of the coaches presser, based on training camp reps and there is the fans consumption of same, which in tends to over-analyze, sensantionalize (see Rodgers Aaron GM wannabe comments) , etc ,bottom of the roster players, Jake K  was cut by the Pack, the Bills and the Saints, so he his on his fourth chance in one year. the glass is half-full in that he is getting chances, but its half-empty in that he is bottom-half of anyone receiving core, and really wont move up unless better receiver(s) are hurt...he is this board's new posterboy replacing Duke Williams...

Edited by First Round Bust

To those rolling their eyes, which is more likely:

Scenario A: Kumerow, a player who was cut by the Bengals, Patriots, Packers, Bills, and Saints, at 29 years old is all of a sudden "making plays all over the field."

Scenario B: He's getting hyped up in an effort to get some value for him.

Kumerow is talked about a lot due to the Aaron Rodgers story from last year. That is far more the reason he is in the media than some conspiracy to set up a trade later on.

As far as D Johnson is concerned... this is just typical Beane MO. It's what he has done every year prior, except last year in the odd year, and usually it has been with OLinemen. He overstocks the trenches, and then trades away the guys who would be otherwise cut because there are usually teams looking for help along the lines at the end of camp.

39 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Agree with much of your post but wouldnt call Davis (6'3" and 212 pound) small.  Maybe you were thinking of McKenzie?