Bills trading Daryll Johnson to the Panthers for 6th rd pick

Process

8 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I'm not going to quote them all but there are 7-8 separate posts about not liking the trade or hoping for little more since the first page.  Go read the thread. 

Also, look further down, people are still saying it...  

7th round pick - 2 years, 2 sacks in over 400 defensive snaps - and a solid special teams contributor.  I don't know that you could expect much more than a 6th.  2 more years on the cheap, but he needs to make plays on defense to get any real payday.  

Buffalo spent 2 2nd's and a 1st on DE's so he had long odds to ever make much of an impact here during the remaining 2 years on the deal.

Edited by dneveu

49 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Teller was a better prospect........some considered him as a guy who should have gone in the early rounds of the draft.........but it appears that they traded the young, high ceiling player to retain a vet who is on his last legs.........which is what Spencer Long was as well when they dealt Teller.

I will be surprised if not cutting bait on Addison last winter ends up looking like a good move in the long run.

Maybe he bounces back this year though.   I liked the signing initially because he was a consistent producer and the contract was easy to get out of.   @GunnerBill did not like the signing and he looked correct on that one last season.  

One of the few, lasting bad memories of last season was watching old Mario flail around chasing Kyler Murray allowing him to get off the Hail Murray throw.

They got smaller and less athletic at the position today.

I know the risk is always there that you let go of a young guy for a so so vet, but I have to agree with it. 

I see the future in Espenesa, Groot and Basham but they really do need more time to season. Hughes and Addison have one final year for the transition. I would rather have the veterans for the final year before we turn it over

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yes plenty are. As good as Beane has been rebuilding this offense he's been terrible on defense for the most part with FA's and draft picks, which is also why I'm still tempering my expectations with Epineza and Rousseau despite their strong camp/preseason showings.

But getting back to Addison (and Butler), it was one thing to restructure their deals but they should have been done so to cut/trade them without the cap hits associated with them.

If Obada ends up being semi decent and at worse getting the 5 sacks he did in Carolina it somewhat offsets the Addison deal though.

You are most certainly welcome to your opinion, but your blanket statement is ridiculous. I think you and quite a few others on here just don't like our defensive philosophy. Many want a huge nose tackle like Ted Washington and run-stuffing MLB. Fine. If that's what you expect then Beane has failed miserably. But, that is not reality for the Bills defense.

The Bills run a defense that thrives on sideline to sideline mobility. This, as others have said, makes a solid pass-stopping defense. So, if you're expecting FA acquisions and draft picks that fit a run-stuffing style, then you're welcome to be critical but you won't be happy.

As I see it, we have a really promising group of defensive talent crafted to stop the pass in this pass-happy NFL.

So if by 4pm tomorrow we cut Johnson and got nothing for him what would be the take here? Probably zilch.... Or, we will sign him to the PS...

We get return on a player we were most likely going to cut and people are angry? "Help me understand" - VGG

Edited by Real McNasty

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Teller was a better prospect........some considered him as a guy who should have gone in the early rounds of the draft.........but it appears that they traded the young, high ceiling player to retain a vet who is on his last legs.........which is what Spencer Long was as well when they dealt Teller.

I will be surprised if not cutting bait on Addison last winter ends up looking like a good move in the long run.

Maybe he bounces back this year though.   I liked the signing initially because he was a consistent producer and the contract was easy to get out of.   @GunnerBill did not like the signing and he looked correct on that one last season.  

One of the few, lasting bad memories of last season was watching old Mario flail around chasing Kyler Murray allowing him to get off the Hail Murray throw.

They got smaller and less athletic at the position today.

Re Addison, it is the case that a lot of DEs play well late into their careers (the opposite of RBs, for instance). In the previous four seasons, he averaged 10 sacks per season, so we'll see if last year was related to no crowd noise (which massively favored offense) and hence a one-off. He played fewer snaps as a percentage last season (57 percent) as opposed to the previous 3 seasons in Carolina (65, 66, and 67 percent). Interesting fact: Addison played 14 percent of ST snaps last season after playing very few in Carolina the previous few years. However, earlier in his career he played 71 percent of ST snaps one season, so he definitely can play it. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AddiMa00.htm

Frankly, I'd rather have Addison than Johnson this season because I believe he's still a better pass rusher than Johnson right now, and the only way the Bills are getting past KC is via the pass rush. They made no improvements to a secondary that was absolutely shredded by Mahomes last year. If you're not going to upgrade your cover guys (which is still a pretty good unit for a zone scheme--don't get me wrong--but one that can't handle the array of playmakers KC throws at you), then you gotta go full Chargers and bring the heat against Mahomes like nobody's business. Mahomes has had real issues with the Chargers' pass rush (e.g., taking 8 QB hits in their 23-20 OT victory last season). 

Basically, the Bills' D needs a game like this one -- https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201910060kan.htm -- where the opposing D is sacking Mahomes 4 times and hitting him 8 other times. Basically, relentless pressure by guys who can occasionally win their battles vs. what will probably be a good o-line. And they need to do it THIS season; windows are never as long as you think.

I'll take a crafty-if-old Addison vs. a green player when going up agains KC's vet tackles, thank you very much.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Real McNasty said:

So if by 4pm tomorrow we cut Johnson and got nothing for him what would be the take here be? Probably zilch....

We get return on a player we were most likely going to cut and people are angry? "Help me understand" - VGG

I've watched him play, he has legit never blown me away in any way.  6th round pick for a guy i had not making the team?  Sign me up.

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Because Addison is better than johnson today.  His value is also lower with a cap squeeze in place around the league.

He is still ahead of Bam as an end, yep. But if pre-season is to be any type of guide neither are starters and Bam is an infinitely better special teamer. 

I think they backed themselves into a corner on Addison with the restructure. They did it to allow themselves to re-sign Mongo, Milano and Williams. I though they should have restructured Diggs then (which they did later) and kept Addison cuttable until after the draft because I suspect once they knew they landed Groot and Boogie their perspective on Addison may have changed. 

It isn't a super major error that I am losing sleep over (we are arguing between their 4th best end and their 6th best end) but I do think they got this one a bit wrong. Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

So if by 4pm tomorrow we cut Johnson and got nothing for him what would be the take here? Probably zilch.... Or, we will sign him to the PS...

Those same people will be happy we got that additional pick come draft time next year

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He is still ahead of Bam as an end, yep. But if pre-season is to be any type of guide neither are starters and Bam is an infinitely better special teamer. 

I think they backed themselves into a corner on Addison with the restructure. They did it to allow themselves to re-sign Mongo, Milano and Williams. I though they should have restructured Diggs then (which they did later) and kept Addison cuttable until after the draft because I suspect once they knew they landed Groot and Boogie their perspective on Addison may have changed. 

It isn't a super major error that I am losing sleep over (we are arguing between their 4th best end and their 6th best end) but I do think they got this one a bit wrong. Just my opinion.

I personally would have liked to see Addison traded....maybe it just wasnt possible

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

I've watched him play, he has legit never blown me away in any way.  6th round pick for a guy i had not making the team?  Sign me up.

I had Bam on the roster. I didn't 3 weeks ago (that's fair) but I have liked his pre-season. Again I am not saying the sky is falling but I still don't love the move.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

If they were to cut Addison, they'd save $2.1M.  I don't think they kept him because they were backed into a corner.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Who would you rather have rotating in on 30-40% of snaps?  Who would you rather have if someone took a bad injury at the position?  That to me is always addison when comparing to johnson.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

If they were to cut Addison, they'd save $2.1M.  I don't think they kept him because they were backed into a corner.

I didn't necessarily just mean money. Loyalty matters to these guys and I suspect they had a frank conversation with Mario - a guy they both know and rightly have a ton of respect for - and said we want you to take a pay cut (which is what it was not just a restructure) to keep you on the team and there was an understanding from both sides that was the deal. I am not saying that is the only factor in the decision but I do think it played in.

Just now, dneveu said:

Who would you rather have rotating in on 30-40% of snaps?  Who would you rather have if someone took a bad injury at the position?  That to me is always addison when comparing to johnson.

Yea that is Addison. But I don't think it matters that much if it is Addison or Obada or Basham or even Johnson. We are talking about the 4th best end on the team and I'd have kept Bam's special teams prowess at a cheap value. I value special teams much higher than most football fans. Equally I'd have traded Obada before trading Bam too.

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills management also loves it some veteran leadership. Yes you have it with Jerry Hughes but he’s a different breed of cat. Star is no role model. With Groot, Basham and AJ being so integral to the team’s short-mid-long term success, McD and Beane and Eric Washington very likely wanted Addison on the team and for the team more than Bam. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Hate giving up on a developing young pass rusher they’ve invested a ton in.

Was he a "developing" pass rusher though? As a pass rusher he hasn't shown anything since his rookie season. In preseason this year he was a non-factor against starting o-linemen, occasionally made some plays against future cuts but that's all.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.