Bills trading Daryll Johnson to the Panthers for 6th rd pick

Process

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Rousseau and Basham also slid inside quite a bit in College, so that alone doesn't make him so unique we have to keep him.

But the report is that Johnson has struggled in those duties.

Thus 

Just now, Bangarang said:

Do we get to criticize Beane for giving Addison that horrible contract? He’s given out some terrible contracts to former Panthers.

Not a great deal. People are going to complain either way… needed to sign a DE… Addison was consistently productive in Carolina. What else was he supposed to do? 

It is what it is. We’ve got really good value on some guys and not so great value on others… en route to one of the top 3 rosters in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Process said:

Interesting. Johnson has looked good, would much rather have traded or cut Addison, who at this point brings very little to the table. 

At the end of the day someone had to go, so can't be mad at getting a draft pick out of it. 

So why would have someone have traded for Addison? 

I'm surprised to see the negative reaction to this trade. Johnson was only useful on special teams. As a pass rusher he offers replacement level ability. I assume the Bills decided they don't need him on special teams and they're obviously not going to pay him when his contract is up so they're taking what they can now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Big Blitz said:

So no one wanted Addison.

Got it.  

Exactly, you can't just dictate who someone wants..they especially dont want that contract.

Overall, this makes me a little sad cause he seemed to embrace Buffalo but you have to make tough decisions.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I'm surprised to see the negative reaction to this trade. Johnson was only useful on special teams. As a pass rusher he offers replacement level ability. I assume the Bills decided they don't need him on special teams and they're obviously not going to pay him when his contract is up so they're taking what they can now.

Probably because many here don't like Addison and wish that it was him who was traded...whether or not that was realistic.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

I would have held steady for a 5th. I get the hands are tied a bit but he’s got two years of team control left, has really good upside as a DE and a very good ST already. 

plus he was a 7th rounder and a 5th just seems like a better return on investment 

You have to consider the contract, the guy is a one year rental, a draft pick comes with a 4 year committment if the guy makes it.  A 5th is expecting a bit much IMO.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

You can only keep so many ST focused players when you have SB aspirations and need guys that can actually contribute in live game action, that's why I also think guys like Taiwan Jones are going to be gone soon as well.

As for Addison, I wouldn't be surprised if he essentially this year's Trent Murphy by midseason (assume he is in fact safe). Because no way we are wasting reps on him the glut of young talent that is ready to contribute out of the gate.

I think this move bodes well for Taiwan Jones, the Bills value ST, coaches say he is an elite gunner, has a 700k dead cap issue that they save by not cutting and re-signing as compared to Phillips cut and resign for less than 200k and can be placed on IR for a couple week (still in a knee brace)...Obada wins out, gets 5+ sacks, leaves as over-priced FA at age 30, trends to Bills get  FA comp pick

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

Respectfully, I disagree.

Special teams reps ARE "live game action". 

A big kick return -- or a tackle on a kick return that prevents a touchdown -- can be the difference between a win and a loss.

I believe that special teams will always be important to Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott, and rightly so. There are three phases in football, and all three matter.

I may get flamed for this, but ST players are fairly interchangeable. It's an area where coaching really matters because you're not putting your best talent out there; rather, you're putting guys out there who can fulfill an assignment and be basically functional at running, blocking, and tackling. You don't want untalented morons on ST, but let's not overvalue it. The Bills hardly punted very little last season (relatively speaking) and most kickoffs were touchbacks. They have a big-leg placekicker, so I expect that to continue. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Process said:

Interesting. Johnson has looked good, would much rather have traded or cut Addison, who at this point brings very little to the table. 

At the end of the day someone had to go, so can't be mad at getting a draft pick out of it. 

Same here. I thought Johnson was a good rotation guy who could get some pressure on the QB. Carolina probably didn't want the older Addison back.

For everyone saying Beane should have gotten more value for the trade, consider Shaq Lawson was just traded for a 6th...  Johnson has some upside but he's not as good as Lawson.  We would have had to cut him anyways, and teams know this, and we got the HIGHER of Carolina's two 6ths.  Good trade getting something out of excess that would have been cut, now  let's get a couple more in before cuts tomorrow!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

For everyone saying Beane should have gotten more value for the trade, consider Shaq Lawson was just traded for a 6th...  Johnson has some upside but he's not as good as Lawson.  We would have had to cut him anyways, and teams know this, and we got the HIGHER of Carolina's two 6ths.  Good trade getting something out of excess that would have been cut, now  let's get a couple more in before cuts tomorrow!

Who’s even saying we should have gotten more value?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.