Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, The Dean said:

I don't see a lot of that. What I see is a team with ONE healthy TE.  I cannot, and do not, believe the Bills will have only 1 TE on the 53. If Sweeny is injured they almost HAVE to do someting, no?

yes. something must be done.

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

Hollister just wasn’t a good enough blocker. He was Logan Thomas-bad on a good number of plays that I paid attention. Knox is the field-stretcher, TE2 needs to be able to thrive inline.

TE 3 should be the in line .
Lee Smith style

inmyhumble opinion :)

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Just seen on Spotrac that Reid Ferguson signed a 1 year $990k contract with the Bills.

He had signed a 3 year extension earlier this year.

I'm sure other news will be out soon to see if this is accurate.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/reid-ferguson-19383/

Reid Ferguson signed a 1 year, $990,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including an average annual salary of $990,000. In 2021, Ferguson will earn a base salary of $990,000, while carrying a cap hit of $990,000.

Hey, that guy Coach Starbucks cut on his birthday is always an option 😎

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think he’s injured. He was practicing today. Gilliam is their 3rd TE/Hback. I think one of the tackles (Spencer brown?) will take over the lee smith role. 

From the clip I saw he was moving pretty freely too (Sweeney)

59 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Lee Smith style

Well, the Bills decided to go with one less TE, so your TE 3 is the Bills TE 2

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If Allen wasn’t our QB I might be concerned about dink and dunk. But since Allen’s natural instinct is to take what he wants rather than take what is given to him, I’m not too concerned about not continuing to make the defenses defend the entire field.

What I am concerned about is the chiefs defense is built to stop the wells passing game. RB’s and TE’s is how you move the ball on them. But we seem to be doubling down on the WR centric offense. Hopefully Sanders and the growth of the younger less experienced receivers is enough to overcome last year’s failures against the Chiefs specifically.

When the Bills went empty backfield last year, they were doing defense's a favor.    It bogged the offense down.

For an old, immobile soft-tosser like Big Ben it might be a way to utilize his recognition skills and hide his lack of arm strength.

But for a young guy who can make every throw like Allen......no thanks.

Stretch the field......use play action to create separation.......use an extra blocker to buy time for longer routes to develop.........give your skill players room to work so they don't get battered.   I could make a highlight reel of body slams that Beasley and Diggs absorbed last season and when it mattered most,  in January, they were beat up and it showed.   And that was with mostly 11 and 12 personnel.

So many things wrong with the 4-5 wide stuff.   Fans should know this by now but there is still a perception that the empty backfield/4-5 WR approach is playing wide open.     

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When the Bills went empty backfield last year, they were doing defense's a favor.    It bogged the offense down.

For an old, immobile soft-tosser like Big Ben it might be a way to utilize his recognition skills and hide his lack of arm strength.

But for a young guy who can make every throw like Allen......no thanks.

Stretch the field......use play action to create separation.......use an extra blocker to buy time for longer routes to develop.........give your skill players room to work so they don't get battered.   I could make a highlight reel of body slams that Beasley and Diggs absorbed last season and when it mattered most,  in January, they were beat up and it showed.   And that was with mostly 11 and 12 personnel.

So many things wrong with the 4-5 wide stuff.   Fans should know this by now but there is still a perception that the empty backfield/4-5 WR approach is playing wide open.     

Beat up in January? You mean against KC? What was the excuse in October week 6? Clearly not beat up then.  I don't think we can draw conclusions other than KC was a bad match up for us last year. Will doubling down on the WR centric offense get us over the top this year? I have my doubts but at the same time I think the offense is going to be better than last year so there is a chance it could be enough to put us over the top. But for every team other than KC I think we will have success more often than not.  They didn't struggle in January against the Colts and that included starting at their own 6 yard line for an entire half due to poor special teams. Can't really draw any conclusions in the Baltimore game due to the high winds conditions. 

I seriously doubt we use many 5 WR sets if any. Our most common set will still be 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB. What I am most curious to see is what Davis snap count will be. He saw a lot of snaps last year due to Brown's lack of availability. I think Davis has developed into an every down receiver which means either Beasley or Sanders are going to be on the sidelines a lot if we run majority 3 WR sets. How often will Daboll want to get all four on the field? 

I think all six receivers we will likely carry on game days, Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis, McKenzie and Kumerow can play and should play meaningful snaps this year. I look for Diggs numbers to be way down this year because Josh is going to spread the ball around a lot. No reason why Beasley and Sanders shouldn't split reps and Kumerow can spell Davis from time to time. And McKenzie kind of being a wild card to come in on any down. I also think they want to try and get Singletary involved more in the passing game. So what I am getting at is that if we spread the ball around as much as i think we will this year using different personnel then I think all of the receivers will hopefully be in better health come January. But even better, we won't be so reliant on two guys (Diggs and Beasley) like we were last year. Everyone will have reps and the ability to gain meaningful yards in January should someone be forced out with injury. 

• Agree 1

Another training camp and preseason in the books and it proves yet again there is zero need for preseason games.  There is not a poster on this board that could not have guessed 50 or maybe even 52 of the 53 players on this roster.  People were posting how the Bills would cut good players this year. So far only one has been picked up by another organization.  Preseason is an absolute waste of time and only risks injury.  Three games and they didn't learn anything more than the casual fan already knew.  NFLPA is nuts to agree to any more than 1 preseason game and should fight for none.  

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Another training camp and preseason in the books and it proves yet again there is zero need for preseason games.  There is not a poster on this board that could not have guessed 50 or maybe even 52 of the 53 players on this roster.  People were posting how the Bills would cut good players this year. So far only one has been picked up by another organization.  Preseason is an absolute waste of time and only risks injury.  Three games and they didn't learn anything more than the casual fan already knew.  NFLPA is nuts to agree to any more than 1 preseason game and should fight for none.  

The only players that need it are those bottom of the roster guys. Nick McCloud for instance, the rookie UDFA who was picked up by another team, likely earned that with his pre-season performances. I thought the Bills got games 1 and 2 right and while game 3 was fun, my preference was for them to carry on sitting most of their guys. I'd be quite happy to never see the Bills starters take a pre-season snap again. Maybe in years where you are making over an oline there is an argument for getting those guys out there together, sure. But other than that unit nothing that is done in pre-season can't be done in practice for the starters. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Lee Smith style

We have the 2.5 (I like Gilliam in the role as well) and Brown or Bates will take Lee "all I do is block" Smith's role. Putting a true professional paid to block in that role makes sense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think Sanders will be fine.........but he hasn't been a big ypc guy in a long time........like 6 years.

That's fine with end of career Peyton Manning and Drew Brees........they couldn't push the ball downfield anyway............but I'd like to see more diversity in the receiving corps.

Brown declined last year........but he's a 14.8 ypc guy for his career and stretching the field has many benefits.........hopefully Davis can continue to be a field stretcher but it won't be because of speed.

And like I've said.........not a big fan of the 4 and 5 wide stuff.......it just becomes dink and dunk and as defenses pin their ears back to get to the QB.....and the top 3 should probably be Diggs, Beasley and Davis, IMO.

As for Shenault........he had an OK rookie year........not even as good as Davis though..........and of course Jefferson smashed NFL rookie records for the Vikes with the pick the Bills traded them..........it was a very impressive group of WR.   Given his injury history and style I still don't think Shenault is a guy I would put a first round grade on. 

I agree with you on Sanders v Brown. I am very meh on the Sanders pick up. He is still great at finding the soft spot in zone coverage in those intermediate areas but I don't think he offers any significant field stretching. Now it may well be that Smoke is done but they should have been looking for a speed type for the outside IMO. Diggs can do it, but you want to be able to move Diggs all over the field and use him to dictate coverage. Davis does give them deep ball threat and while he is not a speedster he improved his separation last year which was the question some had against him coming out. He has definitely made efficiencies in his get off which has helped. I have said in numerous places I expect Davis to outperform Sanders and even if he doesn't start the year as the consensus #2 opposite Diggs he will definitely end the year there. 

I agree with you on Shenault too. I had a late second on him, didn't really have an issue with where the Jags took him, but still even now I wouldn't put a first round grade on that guy. 

I disagree to an extent on the 4 and 5 wide stuff. Not that it should be the Bills base offense or anything but not many teams can go four DBs deep against the Bills receivers. Yes, it makes us a bit more dink and dunk but it isn't like Allen's dink and dunk is 4 and 5 yard completions, it is 8 yards, 12 yards, 6 yards, 17 yards etc... we all know you love the deep ball. I care less about that. I think you can win in this NFL without throwing deep a lot, but you do need to make sure you still threaten to go deep, I agree with that. That was always the Pats thing... they didn't actually throw the deep ball a ton, but they did it just enough and they had guys run those routes. 

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Completely disagree with this take.

We saw once again that for bottom tiered young guys 45-60 - pre season is vital to making a roster.  That was really lacking for rookies and UDFA’s last year and there were almost no waiver wire pick-ups because of the lack of preseason.

Stevenson makes this roster because of preseason work.  Hamlin makes this roster in the preseason.  McCloud gets picked up and is on a roster because of preseason.  For 27 waiver wire pick-up - preseason meant the world.

Now we will see how it goes once the season starts.  Do defenses look better early because they got (even if limited) some playing time?  Are there fewer soft tissue injuries early in the season because these players were able to open it up and go all out and actually tackle?

I could see a reduction and/or a change from 3 preseason games down to 2 or 1 and more controlled scrimmages to allow coaches to see these players actually play, but there are just as many injuries in the scrimmages as games.

I personally loved how McD handled the preseason.  Almost no starters - he let bubble guys play and it showed out for some young guys that made this roster and some Veterans that got cut. He also chose one game and got his guys a little time together just to get them all on the same rhythm and timing.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Beat up in January? You mean against KC? What was the excuse in October week 6? Clearly not beat up then.

Except that we were beat up in October. 

-Allen was playing in a "linebacker brace" 2 weeks out from injuring his shoulder against LV.  The ball was clearly not quiet going where he wanted vs. Tenn and KC. 

-John Brown was playing injured and seemed affected (slow, fell down on one throw)

-Feliciano was on IR and we were playing Winters

-Milano was playing with a torn pec

-White was playing with a back injury

-Wallace was on IR

On offense, Allen was the biggest "excuse"

Frankly I think the injury list in October affected our game plan in January.  We assumed we'd be able to do some things (because of key guys back from injury) that we in fact, couldn't.

8 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I don't think we can draw conclusions other than KC was a bad match up for us last year.

That, too.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

We saw once again that for bottom tiered young guys 45-60 - pre season is vital to making a roster.  That was really lacking for rookies and UDFA’s last year and there were almost no waiver wire pick-ups because of the lack of preseason.

Stevenson makes this roster because of preseason work.  Hamlin makes this roster in the preseason.  McCloud gets picked up and is on a roster because of preseason.  For 27 waiver wire pick-up - preseason meant the world.

Now we will see how it goes once the season starts.  Do defenses look better early because they got (even if limited) some playing time?  Are there fewer soft tissue injuries early in the season because these players were able to open it up and go all out and actually tackle?

I could see a reduction and/or a change from 3 preseason games down to 2 or 1 and more controlled scrimmages to allow coaches to see these players actually play, but there are just as many injuries in the scrimmages as games.

I personally loved how McD handled the preseason.  Almost no starters - he let bubble guys play and it showed out for some young guys that made this roster and some Veterans that got cut. He also chose one game and got his guys a little time together just to get them all on the same rhythm and timing.

Hamlin made the roster because there are were few other credible back up safeties on the roster.

I would agree Stevenson's performance made the decision to keep 7 WRs easier. I could argue though 6 vs 7 WR really came down to Kumerow's performance in camp.

Given there were three games to play I agree McD did a fine job in how he managed playing time.  I would not have played any starters the whole time but I understand and see how McD approached it. 

Like someone else posted add another regular season game and cut back to 1 preseason game would be perfect.

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

And not for nothing, certain players who made the 53, as well as the PS-- Rousseau, Basham, Spencer Brown, Fromm, Doyle, Anderson, Stevenson, Wildgoose, Hamlin, etc developed in those three games. I'll disagree with @Ethan in Portland, and @GunnerBill here: There is no substitute for real game time experience, and the preseason games are the only opportunity for these guys to get it before the regular season starts.

And I'll add: I enjoy the hell out of them.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1