Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

56 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Hollister release makes no sense at all. Even if it's just a numbers thing, he's saying Sweeney was better than Hollister this offseason? There hasn't been any indication of that from the reports we got.

I think we will regret forcing Knox in as the #1 TE. The offense is too good to have an unreliable pass catcher on the field. It's such a bizarre move it makes me wonder if we're finally going to trade for Ertz and Sweeney is just keeping his seat warm, otherwise I can't fathom it.

Giving up? You can't say that yet if you have even a rudimentary understanding of pro football. If Hollister clears waivers and we do NOT bring him back for the PS, then we've given up. This could actually be a part of an ongoing plan to retain him but you as a writer are too quick to inform everyone of something that you clearly don't have any idea about at current.

45 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I do not understand this team's approach to the tight end position for like THREE DECADES.  It's like they forget the position exists.

It’s pretty crazy huh?  

I’m very happy with what I’ve seen from the DL so far this camp.  It had to be addressed and Beane seems to have done a fine job.

that said, I thought 4 other units needed a tweak or upgrade:

-Speed @ RB- we added breida……who looks to be inactive weekly until Motor or Moss get hurt.  Dunno if we accomplished much of anything here.  

-CB unit-  we didn’t sign any corners in FA.  We drafted Wildgoose in rd 6 and then cut him.  We added nothing to the CB room and the unit is too thin for my tastes.  Hopefully the improvement along the DL will have similar impact on the Cb unit. 

-TE-  we signed one guy for the minimum and cut him.  Drafted no one.  Our TE room is worse this year than last year and was ignored for the 57th straight season.
-upgrade the interior of the OL-  same usual suspects.  We flipped Feliciano to LG and Ford to RG.  Is that supposed to stop Chris Jones?  🙏🏻

i didn’t think that we would be able to patch all of our holes, but I thought we’d make a better attempt at patching some of them.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I think that Doyle will be inactive most weeks, along with a combination of Stevenson, Kumerow, Breida, Boogie or Dodson.  That last player to sit will be interesting, as we didn't dress 10 DL much if at all last year

Largely agree.

I would not be surprised to see 2 DE not dress and roll with a 4 man rotation. Most likely Boogie and Obada not dressed but on the 53. Injuries or lack of production from others could change that.

Same with Doyle, safely on the 53, but not dressed as he develops.

Disagree with Kumerow. He offers ST ability and Buffalo likes 4-5 WR sets. We have a passing team and that means having 5-7 WRs dress. He is also one of our larger targets.

IMO Breida will dress as long as McKenzie and or Stevenson are dinged up. He is the next best 'gadget guy' and also offers speed and RB ability. he looked really fast the third game, and I think Daboll is figuring out how to use him.

Stevenson I think dresses as KR/PR when healthy.

I see 1 or 2 OL not dressed, and or 1 or 2 LB not dressed to make up the difference.

• Like (+1) 1

For all the declarations and even some hand-wringing about players the Bills would cut being claimed by other teams...........looks like UDFA Nick McCloud is the only one.

As good of a preseason as the Bills had in the games they played.........there weren't many surprise performers and value additions........guys like Lamp and Hollister didn't materialize as hoped and Obada and Breida were just OK.    CB and TE came into the offseason as areas of need and don't appear to be improved at all.    Edmunds and Oliver didn't really show anything new.    Cody Ford disappointed again.

Fortunately they were already a very good team but it would be nice if there were more really intriguing new talent stories.     Rousseau is really the only big addition at this point that appears poised to improve his position group.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Sounds like concussion for Stevenson, one could assume McKenzie will be back by week 1. 

Usually don't IR a guy for concussion and have not heard "he's in the protocol"

They said he went out with a head injury, but it's also possible he re-injured his foot and didn't feel it until the next day.

Did Beane say why he was going on IR?

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

It’s pretty crazy huh?  

I’m very happy with what I’ve seen from the DL so far this camp.  It had to be addressed and Beane seems to have done a fine job.

that said, I thought 4 other units needed a tweak or upgrade:

-Speed @ RB- we added breida……who looks to be inactive weekly until Motor or Moss get hurt.  Dunno if we accomplished much of anything here.  

-CB unit-  we didn’t sign any corners in FA.  We drafted Wildgoose in rd 6 and then cut him.  We added nothing to the CB room and the unit is too thin for my tastes.  Hopefully the improvement along the DL will have similar impact on the Cb unit. 

-TE-  we signed one guy for the minimum and cut him.  Drafted no one.  Our TE room is worse this year than last year and was ignored for the 57th straight season.
-upgrade the interior of the OL-  same usual suspects.  We flipped Feliciano to LG and Ford to RG.  Is that supposed to stop Chris Jones?  🙏🏻

i didn’t think that we would be able to patch all of our holes, but I thought we’d make a better attempt at patching some of them.  

I think given the reduced cap and some salary cap ramifications and bad contracts (Butler and Addison) they did a masterful job returning most starters. The fact we kept Williams/ Milano and extended JA was really good work.

The draft was focused on the pass rush and some OL. They are all on the team and will have to contribute. I see some very good DB depth (both CB and S) out there. After the release/ IR stuff is done, if Hollister is not brought back that creates a position to be filled by maybe a vet looking for a last run. I provided a 'who is available at DB' post in the league wide cut thread. Some good names out there. Clinton-Dix/ Trufant etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

6 minutes ago, BLO_RIO said:

Giving up? You can't say that yet if you have even a rudimentary understanding of pro football. If Hollister clears waivers and we do NOT bring him back for the PS, then we've given up. This could actually be a part of an ongoing plan to retain him but you as a writer are too quick to inform everyone of something that you clearly don't have any idea about at current.

Once again Hollister is a 4 year vet and not subject to waivers.  He can sign with anyone.  If that doesn't happen he could come back to 

Buffalo as a PS player.  Odds are someone will want him on their 53.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Hollister apparently wasn’t claimed. Beane thought he probably would be. Be great to get him on PS. With only two TE and one of them injury prone, he might still think Bills are his best bet. 

Hollister is a 4 yr vested vet and is not subject to waivers.

He was a free agent as soon as he was cut, and can sign with anyone he chooses.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Usually don't IR a guy for concussion and have not heard "he's in the protocol"

They said he went out with a head injury, but it's also possible he re-injured his foot and didn't feel it until the next day.

Did Beane say why he was going on IR?

No, but logically, he is the seventh WR, he has a nagging foot injury and now a head injury, and they need to sign their LS back.  They can certainly afford to lose Stevenson for a few weeks, more so than a number of other players who could have been candidates.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hollister is a 4 yr vested vet and is not subject to waivers.

He was a free agent as soon as he was cut, and can sign with anyone he chooses.

Yeah I saw that. Thx. I had thought one of his NE years he didn’t play enough to have an accrued season. He didn’t play much but appeared in 8 games total so he would qualify. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For all the declarations and even some hand-wringing about players the Bills would cut being claimed by other teams...........looks like UDFA Nick McCloud is the only one.

As good of a preseason as the Bills had in the games they played.........there weren't many surprise performers and value additions........guys like Lamp and Hollister didn't materialize as hoped and Obada and Breida were just OK.    CB and TE came into the offseason as areas of need and don't appear to be improved at all.    Edmunds and Oliver didn't really show anything new.    Cody Ford disappointed again.

Fortunately they were already a very good team but it would be nice if there were more really intriguing new talent stories.     Rousseau is really the only big addition at this point that appears poised to improve his position group.

Outside of Hollister, they kept all the players people were clamoring for.  And with Hollister clearing waivers, the Bills can put him on the PS.

And if Stevenson is the only guy to short-term IR, that's great news.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I know but I doubt any team has a flimsier TE situation. 

Let's just say, the Bills have a very flimsy TE situation AND they are likely going to be a SB contender. Yes, he could go play for a sucky team, or come and try to win a ring. If he is signed to the PS, he won't be there long, IMO. He'll see some action.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Losing Mccloud stinks.  Really liked what I saw from him.

Same. He has a nose for the ball. Might end up being a Robey-Coleman/ D Greer type player. Not a level one starter, but really good in a 5 man CB rotation. I really wish him the best.

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah I saw that. Thx. I had thought one of his NE years he didn’t play enough to have an accrued season. He didn’t play much but appeared in 8 games total so he would qualify. 

5th year, accrued 4 if OTC is to be believed. Other than the Jets what better place to be on the PS? As a vetted veteran he gets more than minimum on PS, and is really next man up if he choses Buffalo.

• Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, FLFan said:

No, but logically, he is the seventh WR, he has a nagging foot injury and now a head injury, and they need to sign their LS back.  They can certainly afford to lose Stevenson for a few weeks, more so than a number of other players who could have been candidates.  

Surely, no argument there.  Just questioning whether he was placed on IR for a concussion.

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm hopeful they've improved at WR with Stevenson, Kumerow and Sanders.

I am not sure I get the Hollister love.  He has bounced around because he is a very limited athlete at the position who does not block very well.  This makes him of limited value, certainly not a starter, more a third TE on the roster guy.  You will likely see both Morris and Becker on the practice squad to fill this role in an emergency.  Otherwise they have no need for a third TE active in any given week.  

I share people’s concerns about Knox’s reliability and hoped the Bills might be able to upgrade in the off season but Hollister was certainly not that.  The TE position will not be the difference in championship or not for this team.  They have plenty of offensive firepower without an all pro at that position.  It is the OL and DL that will need to make the difference.