Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I know the numbers. I am more interested in the tape. Jones should be on this team without a doubt. On DT I think Phillips likely goes on IR initially. I suspect Butler if anyone would get cut when he comes back. 

Again these are marginal decisions that I'm fine with.  I'd prefer an extra safety who likely would make those same 7 tackles as a gunner and give us more depth in the DB group.  But all in all I'm good with the roster.  I'm going to assume Hollister comes back and they place McKenzie on IR or release Sweeney.   I like the 7 WR's, I like the fact they moved Johnson and kept Obada, I like they cut Fromm, and I like the LB group.  

1 hour ago, jlgarsh said:

I mean he had fewer tackles because the Bills barely punted last year, and most kickoffs were touchbacks. It wasn’t lack of skill

The reverse is if we punt so few times and most Kickoffs are touchbacks, then why do we care so much about the gunner position?

No argument on skill level.  He's a good player.  I'd just go with a another DB and I think you can find someone to fill the gunner role. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Hollister release makes no sense at all. Even if it's just a numbers thing, he's saying Sweeney was better than Hollister this offseason? There hasn't been any indication of that from the reports we got.

I think we will regret forcing Knox in as the #1 TE. The offense is too good to have an unreliable pass catcher on the field. It's such a bizarre move it makes me wonder if we're finally going to trade for Ertz and Sweeney is just keeping his seat warm, otherwise I can't fathom it.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Ta111 said:

Not many. Nor do we have many kickoffs returned. So we may have 3 returns per game. The question is do you keep someone for 3 returns per game?

Yes. If you give up field position on one series, it can affect field position for several series after that. Having a solid special teams unit that consistently gives you good field position is a huge advantage, and to have such a unit, you need a solid ST corps. 

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The offense is too good to have an unreliable pass catcher on the field.

Maybe Beane and McDermott figure that the offense is so good, they can make up for a drop here and there from Knox.  Knox can atone for them with a big play?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Hollister apparently wasn’t claimed. Beane thought he probably would be. Be great to get him on PS. With only two TE and one of them injury prone, he might still think Bills are his best bet. 

Hollister is a free agent and can sign with any team he chooses.