Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed but nor is a starting gunner a good comparison to a 6th or 7th receiver or a 6th or 7th defensive end who is likely nothing but a backup all year. Kumerow had 1 catch last season (I know he wasn't here all year) but Jones made 6 special teams stops. Who had the biggest impact on the Bills winning?

And I’m sure he forced a few fair catches, too.  Jones is good.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well that’s inconsistent with other posts you’ve made referencing Kumerow being capable of playing gunner (even though you felt Taiwan was better)

I think he can. But I don't think he can do it nearly as well as Jones. It is a downgrade and one the Bills have no need to make. I might feel different about if we were saying it is a downgrade for a 23 year old we still have 3 years of club control on. But they are both 1 year players and Kumerow is 29.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

How about this - So the depth chart as it stands now and bold preceived to be safe:

WR - Emmanuel Sanders, Gabriel Davis, Isaiah Hodgins

LT - Dion Dawkins, Spencer Brown, Tommy Doyle

LG -Jon Feliciano, Jordan Devey

C - Mitch Morse, Ryan Bates

RG - Cody Ford, Ike Boettger

RT - Daryl Williams, Bobby Hart

TE - Dawson Knox, Tommy Sweeney

QB - Josh Allen, Mitchell Trubisky, Davis Webb, Jake Fromm

RB - Devin Singletary, Zack Moss, Matt Breida, Taiwan Jones, Christian Wade (roster exemption)

FB - Reggie Gilliam

WR - Cole Beasley, Isaiah McKenzie

WR - Stefon Diggs, Jake Kumerow, Marquez Stevenson

Offense - 31 (counting Wade)

LDE - Jerry Hughes, Greg Rousseau, Efe Obada

DT - Ed Oliver, Justin Zimmer, Brandin Bryant, Treyvon Hester

DT - Star Lotulelei, Vernon Butler, Harrison Phillips

RDE - Mario Addison, A.J. Epenesa, Boogie Basham, Mike Love

MLB - Tremaine Edmunds, Tyrel Dodson, Tyler Matakevich, Marquel Lee

WLB - Matt Milano, A.J. Klein, Andre Smith, Joe Giles-Harris

NCB - Taron Johnson, Siran Neal

CB - Tre'Davious White, Rachad Wildgoose, Nick McCloud

CB - Levi Wallace, Dane Jackson, Olaijah Griffin

S - Jordan Poyer, Damar Hamlin

S - Micah Hyde, Jaquan Johnson

Defense - 34

Special Teams - 3

That makes 46 - Which are going to go in the next 30 mins?

Edited by FlaFitz1

RB Kerrith Whyte

WR Rico Gafford

WR Tanner Gentry

WR Lance Lenoir

WR Brandon Powell

WR Duke Williams

TE Jacob Hollister

TE Bug Howard

OG Jamil Douglas

OG Steven Gonzalez

OG Forrest Lamp

OL Jack Anderson

OL Caleb Benenoch

OL Tyler Gauthier

OL Marquell Harrell

OL Syrus Tuitele

DL Eli Ankou

DT Joey Ivie

LB Tyrell Adams

LB Mike Bell

CB Tim Harris

S Tariq Thompson

Latest list from NFL.com

https://www.nfl.com/news/player-cuts-tracker-nfl-teams-53-man-rosters-for-2021-season

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

T. Jones absolutely is not worthy of a roster spot. If they used him as a KR or PR as well as the 3rd RB on game day…fine. The guy might be good at what he does, but not good enough to warrant the spot. This is a talented roster. Unless you plan to start giving him the ball here and there, cut him.

I won’t say he’s not worthy of a roster spot, ST is always important.  But I don’t think he is more valuable THIS year over some of our roster decisions.  I’d rather have Brieda as a tool for the offense than say Taiwan.  I’d rather keep 7 WRs to keep Stevenson for return duties.  I’d rather sign another OT after cuts.  I’d rather keep an extra CB like Wildgoose. Etc etc.  

I have no issue with Taiwan other than I don’t think he brings enough to the table to make this years roster because of players we have at other positions I think are higher priority.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

T. Jones absolutely is not worthy of a roster spot. If they used him as a KR or PR as well as the 3rd RB on game day…fine. The guy might be good at what he does, but not good enough to warrant the spot. This is a talented roster. Unless you plan to start giving him the ball here and there, cut him.

Well I guess Beane thinks different.  I will go by his decision over your opinion.  (and it is not even close)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You already said it’s not fair to talk about one catch for Kumerow given his short stint on the roster.  And his tiny time on the team, he arguably contributed more to our record than Taiwan did over a whole season because Taiwan didn’t do anything last season another gunner couldn’t do.  But Taiwan won’t ever make a play on offense.  

Your argument here is weak because you and I both know that Kumerow is fully capable to fill in for Taiwan as gunner (or others) with similar production there, while we also know Taiwan isn’t ever going to produce any offensive points, or even yards, during the season.

If he does get released, hold off on your celebratory party because he's one of the vet candidates that can be released and not subject to waivers to put someone else on the 53 and then immediately to IR so they can be brought back if need be (as Joe B has predicted).

And we all know Kumerow can do the job at the same level? What evidence do we have of this? I believe both Kumerow and Taiwan will be here. But it's ridiculous to cut someone who is going to play every game multiple snaps for extra guys at positions that will be inactive every week unless there's an injury. 

You have your opinion and that's fine. But that opinion doesn't match the words and actions of McDermott. You say he's overrated as a gunner and replaceable. McDermott says he's the best gunner in the league. That's a big part of the reason why you've heard so many people say it. So when you argue he's not, you're arguing against McDermott's own words. And he's the decision maker. So to me, that's a futile hill to stand on.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You already said it’s not fair to talk about one catch for Kumerow given his short stint on the roster.  And his tiny time on the team, he arguably contributed more to our record than Taiwan did over a whole season because Taiwan didn’t do anything last season another gunner couldn’t do.  But Taiwan won’t ever make a play on offense.  

Your argument here is weak because you and I both know that Kumerow is fully capable to fill in for Taiwan as gunner (or others) with similar production there, while we also know Taiwan isn’t ever going to produce any offensive points, or even yards, during the season.

I suggested earlier in the thread that it's really easy for fans to undervalue special teams, and this is a pretty good illustration of that...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If he does get released, hold off on your celebratory party because he's one of the vet candidates that can be released and not subject to waivers to put someone else on the 53 and then immediately to IR so they can be brought back if need be (as Joe B has predicted).

And we all know Kumerow can do the job at the same level? What evidence do we have of this? I believe both Kumerow and Taiwan will be here. But it's ridiculous to cut someone who is going to play every game multiple snaps for extra guys at positions that will be inactive every week unless there's an injury. 

You have your opinion and that's fine. But that opinion doesn't match the words and actions of McDermott. You say he's overrated as a gunner and replaceable. McDermott says he's the best gunner in the league. That's a big part of the reason why you've heard so many people say it. So when you argue he's not, you're arguing against McDermott's own words. And he's the decision maker. So to me, that's a futile hill to stand on.

Lol, I am fine if he makes the team, some of you act like I have an agenda against him just because I don’t THINK he will make it unless we open spot up through IR.

And I have said MANY times he very well could make the roster and the IR trick is quite possibly the way they will do it.

So let me say for the 100th time…I have NOTHING against Taiwan, I just personally prioritize some other players I feel will be on the 53 BEFORE factoring in IR roster tactics.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

I suggested earlier in the thread that it's really easy for fans to undervalue special teams, and this is a pretty good illustration of that...

That’s just it, I don’t undervalue ST’s.  In the past I’ve been quite vocal about the importance of ST’s and all too well remember the horrid we trotted out year after year and screaming at the TV over ST blunders.

The difference is I feel we have a really good ST unit these days, and don’t see Taiwan as irreplaceable. 

Funny thing is almost none of the people advocating for Taiwan have probably even noticed him in a game and are arguing his greatness over a comment from a coach.  

While he’s obviously a great ST player for us, this notion he is irreplaceable in that role is so grossly over exaggerated around here.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1