Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

Just a friendly reminder about waivers

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2021/8/30/22648201/nfl-waiver-wire-rules-2021-which-team-has-top-priority-claims-order

^ compares NFL waivers/ cuts vs fantasy football, but a good overview

Who goes through waivers?

Players with less than four years of accrued service time are subject to waivers. A player with at least four years of accrued service time, referred to as a “vested veteran” immediately becomes a free agent and is eligible to sign with any other team.

So during cut downs, younger players you want to stash on the PS (still 16 slots) and not be subject to waivers are 'kept on the 53' at cut down.

To do so, you may need to cut a veteran with 4+ accrued seasons, with a 'gentleman's agreement' that they will be brought back after the younger players are assigned to the PS. As a Free agent the vested veteran decides where they go to, and are not subject to a 'first claim' through the waiver process.

Over the Cap shows Jacob Hollister with 4 accrued seasons and is thus not subject to waivers.

Making this more confusing are the rules about when a player is put on PUP/IR and if or when they are eligible to come back during the season.

I have a feeling Hollister is very much in line with the Roberts type of move of last year, especially given how few TEs are actually on the roster.

Edited by ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Or maybe trade for a depth TE or CB. 

Yeah...either way. It is just so refreshing looking forward to see what the front office does versus getting prepared to defend their decisions as in the past.

58 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, I actually posted on the generic scenario and agreed with the Sweeney IR likelihood upthread. Your tone did not make sense to me, but understandable if you were ignorant concerning the other TE cuts. I like Becker, so I hope we bring him back to PS.

I'm conflicted bc I'm fully in the Hollister is just a guy camp but that TE depth is scary thin so I'm hopeful (and pretty sure as you state) he will be back.  I'm guessing the 2 TEs is with idea Gilliam will serve as the emergency and 3rd TE.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

right on cue lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Dee Virgin was cut by the Patriots, formerly a Texan. However it is rumored that Deshuan Watson has declared that he will not play unless the Texans get him Dee Virgin. Nobody really knows why he wants Dee Virgin, but I guess it makes him happy.

i-get-it-it-aint-making-me-laugh-but-i-g

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, section122 said:

I'm conflicted bc I'm fully in the Hollister is just a guy camp but that TE depth is scary thin so I'm hopeful (and pretty sure as you state) he will be back.  I'm guessing the 2 TEs is with idea Gilliam will serve as the emergency and 3rd TE.

right on cue lol

Don't forget Spencer Brown in the Lee Smith role

35 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Dee Virgin was cut by the Patriots, formerly a Texan. However it is rumored that Deshuan Watson has declared that he will not play unless the Texans get him Dee Virgin. Nobody really knows why he wants Dee Virgin, but I guess it makes him happy.

I am calling BS on the Dee Virgin-Deshaun Watson linking

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Don't know what to make of this.

Gilliam looks like a good football player, but where does he get listed on the roster? Fullback or Tight End?

If he's a Fullback, is he on the RB depth chart?

Since he's a good special teams player, does that mean he will be active every week?

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Gilliam looks like a good football player, but where does he get listed on the roster? Fullback or Tight End?

Since he's a good special teams player, does that mean he will be active every week?

He is officially listed as a FB on the Bills which I agree with.  He can line up at TE but at 6'1" he is a little small to be a true TE.

Big Model Swiss Army Knife.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Does it really matter where he is listed?

He was listed as a TE last year and blocked a lot as a FB/HB and was active on Special Teams most weeks once they got him active.

He is multipositional and will do whatever is needed - a perfect fit for this roster.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm perfectly fine with Bass kicking in the end zone every kick off and we shouldn't be punting too much.

You really shouldn't need more than Neal, Kumerow, Smith, and Matakevich as ST aces.

A strong ST unit translates into good field position which translates into more trips to the red zone. We certainly benefitted from that last season. At least on paper, it doesn't look like we're going to start on ST as strong as last season, even with Jones. It's easy for fans to undervalue special teams, but it's a lot more than just kicking into the end zone.

• Agree 2