Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, Philo said:

Hollister is a vested veteran and will certainly be back. If I had to guess, Phillips may be heading to IR for a few weeks. 

Yes. I believe if you IR a player before the season starts then they are done for the year. 

Correct, and if they are on IR after season starts then only have to be there 3 weeks.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Johnson is possible. 

Stevenson would be unlikely since he played vs GB. 

If we really thought McKenzie would be out for another 6 weeks I doubt we cut Sims and Powell.

Sweeney seems the most likely.

Stevenson left the game against Green Bay injured. I think they must feel good that one of Stevenson and Isaiah is good to go.... doesn't necessarily mean both are to me. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Stevenson left the game against Green Bay injured. I think they must feel good that one of Stevenson and Isaiah is good to go.... doesn't necessarily mean both are to me. 

Every player is only one play away from an injury, especially a recently-injured KR/PR.  Do you see Beane leaving us with only one choice there?

I don't.

Stevenson supposedly left the game with a "head injury" (but not a concussion protocol).  Doesn't sound like something that takes 2 weeks until the regular season then 3 weeks on IR then another week 'til the game to heal.

In fact if they want him to return punts, per Andre Roberts he's gotta have a screw loose 😝

Do we know what Sweeny's injury is, and the timetable for recovery?  I think the notion of cutting Hollister in hopes of signing him after putting Sweeney on a post 53 IR is kind of risky.  Maybe Buffalo is hoping Sweeney is healthy for the Pittsburgh game.

Edited by BigAl2526

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Johnson is possible. 

Stevenson would be unlikely since he played vs GB. 

If we really thought McKenzie would be out for another 6 weeks I doubt we cut Sims and Powell.

Sweeney seems the most likely.

Except Stevenson got a head injury in the game against GB - Sal could not confirm or tell what that meant or a time table - so maybe he could be a candidate still.

Hogdkins was moving around, but could still be IR’d to be available later for a stretch if there are other injuries.

Johnson seems likely to me as a potential IR candidate.

I expect McKenzie to be back.

You have Sweeney also as a possibility.  

They could also use it on someone like Doyle to give him more time as he was injured with a knee.

2 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Do we know what Sweeny's injury is, and the timetable for recovery.  I think the notion of cutting Hollister in hopes of signing him after putting Sweeney on a post 53 IR is kind of risky.  Maybe Buffalo is hoping Sweeney is healthy for the Pittsburgh game.

Again, it’s about the vested vet rule. Hollister doesn’t go through waivers. They already have a deal with him to resign tomorrow. This happens all the time. It’s about roster management.

Edited by Ta111
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigAl2526 said:

Do we know what Sweeny's injury is, and the timetable for recovery.  I think the notion of cutting Hollister in hopes of signing him after putting Sweeney on a post 53 IR is kind of risky.  Maybe Buffalo is hoping Sweeney is healthy for the Pittsburgh game.

We don't, but he hasn't practiced a snap for the last 3 weeks. 

Speculation is he may have had a Jones fracture that was surgically repaired last season, and that it may have re-injured, which could be ?10 weeks? - 3 weeks of training camp, 2 weeks from now until regular season, maybe first 5 weeks?  That's a long time, depends on how much they really like him I guess.

4 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I think we should all be confident that he and his agent are on board with being released and  resigned

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Is this where we mention Ertz?

Watch Beane flip Carolina's 6th for Njoku - he makes $6 million this year and is a FA next year.   Much cheaper than what they would have to give up for Ertz and his $12.7 million this season.   

3 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

Again, it’s about the vested vet rule. Hollis term doesn’t go through waivers. They already have a deal with him to resign tomorrow. This happens all the time. It’s about roster management.

I 99.9% agree with you. But has he really done much in camp to be certain of a roster spot? I had him on my 53. But Ertz is still a possibility. I never had Sweeney on my final 53. Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I 99.9% agree with you. But has he really done much in camp to be certain of a roster spot? I had him on my 53. But Ertz is still a possibility. I never had Sweeney on my final 53. Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out

He's done enough I think. In addition, or TE room is quite thin. He's a lock to be resigned I think.

Edited by Tom Donahoe, GM
  • Like (+1) 1