Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

They could; you just don’t see it cause assistant QB coaches make very little compared to a PS player. He would just have to sign anywhere. He’ll be a coach of that I’m certain. But while he still can “play” it makes way more sense for HIM to be on a team as a player in any capacity. 

Actually you can’t and salary has nothing to do with it because you can pay a coach whatever you want.

The NFL has a rule that prevents “player/coaches” and does not allow a coach to be activated to play on the team.  It was designed to prevent teams from using to hide players and keep them on the roster and modified to prevent teams from circumventing the salary cap.

It does not come up often, but was enforced just last year with Denver when they lost all 3 QBs to COVID.  The NFL would not allow a fully tested Quality Control coach to be activated as a player because of the rule.  

27 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The NFL has rules against this to prevent teams from hiding players.  

Denver wanted to activate the QB quality control coach last year when all the QBs were placed on COVID and the NFL wouldn’t allow it.

There was a nice article about it - I will try to find it - but basically it was done in the past as a way to pay players and not lose them, but keep them on the team and the NFL banned it.

Edit:

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/?p=651317

Not the original article, but mentions the rule in here.

Great info.  Thanks.

19 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That running back looked good in the last preseason game. Wonder if they pull him onto the PS

Maybe, but I think he & Harris were mainly signed to play the last game.

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Actually you can’t and salary has nothing to do with it because you can pay a coach whatever you want.

The NFL has a rule that prevents “player/coaches” and does not allow a coach to be activated to play on the team.  It was designed to prevent teams from using to hide players and keep them on the roster and modified to prevent teams from circumventing the salary cap.

It does not come up often, but was enforced just last year with Denver when they lost all 3 QBs to COVID.  The NFL would not allow a fully tested Quality Control coach to be activated as a player because of the rule.  

Appreciate the follow up on this rule; I was sorta answering a different question which is a bit different than the question asked and I think your answer is better for the question asked. 

The question I was thinking about was why don't we just make Webb a coach?  For that question I just don't think its enticing enough for Webb because we wouldnt pay him as much as he would make as a player (again assuming hes not being hidden there to play later per the rule you stated).  Yes you can pay a coach whatever you want, but if you start playing an Assistant QB coach so much you better believe its gonna make all your other coaches more expensive.

Again thanks for the indicating the rule.

• Like (+1) 1

Once the cuts start rolling in can someone just @ me please? Thanks

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

and right on cue ha.... thanks. No surprises there. Anderson disappointed me a bit in pre-season. I had a 5th rounder on him... man if we had spent a 5th I'd be majorly pissed. I kind of had Anderson more like a 5th and Doyle more like a 7th... neither has been too impressive but both still have some tools if the Bills can develop them. 

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

The NFL has rules against this to prevent teams from hiding players.  

Denver wanted to activate the QB quality control coach last year when all the QBs were placed on COVID and the NFL wouldn’t allow it.

There was a nice article about it - I will try to find it - but basically it was done in the past as a way to pay players and not lose them, but keep them on the team and the NFL banned it.

Edit:

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/?p=651317

Not the original article, but mentions the rule in here.

In this case it’s more like they are hiding a coach as a player… lol

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

So far:

Kerryith White RB

Antonio Williams RB

Tanner Gentry WR

Brandon Powell WR

Nate Becker TE

Quinton Morris TE

Jack Anderson OG

Jamil Douglas OG

Tim Harris CB

now it gets tough.  The last 5 cuts are brutal.  Watch other teams quickly sign our cuts, and start a couple

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

So far:

Kerryith White RB

Antonio Williams RB

Tanner Gentry WR

Brandon Powell WR

Nate Becker TE

Quinton Morris TE

Jack Anderson OG

Jamil Douglas OG

Tim Harris CB

Thanks for posting this summary.

I say the same thing every year. There are very few surprises and many, if not most, of the guys released are players that you've either never heard of or never really had a shot. It makes me wonder what this process is really all about.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If I'm counting correctly, 20

This year's cuts feel brutal. I was too young, there wasn't the kind of coverage, and the internet didn't really exist yet, during the glory days; I hardly knew about practice squad players. Lots of feels on the way down to 53 😭

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for posting this summary.

I say the same thing every year. There are very few surprises and many, if not most, of the guys released are players that you've either never heard of or never really had a shot. It makes me wonder what this process is really all about.

There are plenty of surprises on ***** rosters. Ours is pretty loaded and set so less drama.