Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

34 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

That's a safe bet, the question is does Fromm go too?

I don’t think so.

7 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Cut. 

Only keep 2 QBs. 

Sure Mitchell T is only signed for this year, but there is no reason to hold a roster spot for Fromm. 

I actually think there’s a decent possibility Trubisky stays after this year.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Was he that good of a young prospect?  He was a liability on defense before this preseason.  I was all aboard the trade Addison train but I am fine with this.  Get something from the rooms that have good talent instead of cutting good talent.  

If losing Daryl means keeping Efe, sign me up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

You think they keep both Fromm and Trubisky multiple years including this year?

I don’t think we keep Fromm at all. I’m just saying that Trubisky is unlikely to get any meaningful snaps sitting behind Josh so I can’t imagine his value will be any higher than it was this offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

I don't like that. means we have to keep Tw. Jones and Addison sticks, and we give up a  good young prospect. We'll see what we get I guess

He was young and a prospect but he was not good. Obada has done more in his career at DE already. 

I too hope they get rid of Jones. I'd rather they keep an extra WR and an extra LB to play the special teams reps that Johnson and Jones played.

• Like (+1) 2

Wow a lot of hard feelings about Johnson getting dealt. Never knew he has such a contingent of fans. He only got to hold the Duke Williams mantle for a few days 😄

Maybe its a mix of the Addison dislike too. I'm not a big Addison fan either, but making a trade takes 2 parties. It's no wonder a team was more interested in a younger, cheaper guy with 2 years left on his contract, than an older more expensive one with only one and a $2million dollar bonus due. (looked at over the cap)

As for cutting Addison him, it looks like a nasty hit post June 1, and OBD would rather get something than nothing. I'd inactivate him and keep him fresh in the event he needs to fill in as an injury replacement, or if one of the young guys is struggling really badly.

Given the situation, getting a 6th for my #7DE is a solid move.

Edited by ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

He was traded.  Do you assume Carolina would have taken any DE irrespective of the contract, their needs, etc? 

Of course not, but the situation was also not a strict dichotomy. Interestingly, when I created a thread on Addison's contract and its influence on his likelihood of making the roster, the prevailing wisdom was that while it's a crappy contract, performance will drive rostering and not the money. Who knows, I'm not up in arms about the trade I just liked Darryl as a low-end roster player. 

I'm not worried at all about what the loss of Johnson means for the D-line. He had a good preseason, but I think Addison still offers more at DE. What I am concerned about is the state of our STs. Johnson made a lot of plays last season on punts and kickoffs, and the Bills definitely benefitted from good field position all season. With Johnson out, that's two core players gone. But, of course, K/PR is a much more pressing issue.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Addison is this year's Murphy. Old vet on the last year of a deal whom they keep around for experience purposes basically. 

I think he is going to show a lot more than that. He is going to play a lot and I do think he does show more than last year.

BTW: Having Addison, having to trade Bam, is all part of the cost of drafting Groot and Bam. Beane did not want to come ALL OUT on drafting DEs, so he couldn't just cut Addison. He didn't know what would be there and he didn't want to let the rest of the NFL know that the Bills were all in at DE (and high on Groot and Boogie). They didn't want anybody thinking that and it seems they succeeded.

Addison was untradeable and I guess he is part of the process.

Having said all that, if we could have waived Addison and NOT have to pay him, that would have been the best path.

I liked Bam this preseason and I think the panthers got themselves a decent young player with a lot of upside.

Is this another Wyatt Teller? I sure hope not!

I was already looking at next year with: Bam, Groot, Boogie And AJ......

Bummer.....

18 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

Trubisky will be going to Minnesota next year.  Along with Minny's new HC, Daboll.

you heard it here first.

Maybe but I think predicting Trubisky follows Daboll wherever he goes is a tired and lazy take at this point. 

• Angry 1
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t think we keep Fromm at all. I’m just saying that Trubisky is unlikely to get any meaningful snaps sitting behind Josh so I can’t imagine his value will be any higher than it was this offseason. 

Thanks for the follow up.  I got twisted with all the quotes.  I can see a world where Mitch stays but I suspect he will get at least 1 reg season game which will demonstrate his worth to other teams.  Fromm is the interesting one.  Do we cut bait after a year?  Can we get something for him (probably not)?  But yes I agree we dont need to keep Fromm.

Edited by YattaOkasan

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

Thanks for the follow up.  I got twisted with all the quotes.  I can see a world where Mitch stays but I suspect he will get at least 1 reg season game which will demonstrate his worth to other teams.  Fromm is the interesting one.  Do we cut bait after a year?  Can we get something for him (probably not)?

I don’t think 1 game can make people ignore the 3 years of tape Trubisky already has. 

I think Trubisky is what he is. A guy that’s probably best suited as a backup who can come in keep you competitive for a handful of games if needed. I don’t think there’s any chance he’s going to be a long term starter for anyone anymore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I agree with you. If he doesn't get a chance to play much he's going to have a hard time changing his market value from what it was last year.

He may not change his market value this year , but he would want to go somewhere where he has a chance of starting so he could change his market value in the future

• Like (+1) 2