NFL Cuts /Cut Tracker

16 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Across the league, only 27 players claimed:

Haha Jacksonville, Cincy and Jets have more players (2) claimed by other teams than Bills (1).

Maybe we don't have such strong roster after all :)

Edited by No_Matter_What

3 hours ago, Chuck Schick said:

There are some really interesting names on the other teams' cut lists.  Key and Peele could do another skit....

DiCaprio Bootle

BoPete Keyes

Sandro Platzgummer

Equanimeous St. Brown (I had heard of him before)

Coy Cronk

Rojesterman Farris

Dee Virgin

Freedom Akinmoladun

Montrel Meander

Tre'Vour Wallace-Simms

and of course..

Tim Jones

Surprised by the cut, Dee Virgin leaves a big hole to fill......:flirt:

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Surprised the Jets cut Bless Austin. He seemed to play pretty well the 2x we saw him last season. Maybe worth a claim at a position of need.

Not sure I would consider CB a position of need and I am really not sure an upgrade comes from the Jets cut pile. 

If he struggled bad enough to be one of their worse defenders - he isn’t beating out our top guys on the 53.  He just isn’t.

Urban Meyer is under the microscope:

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/urban-meyer-says-vaccine-status-certainly-consideration-jags-cuts?ls=pftvod

"NFLPA investigating Meyer after vaccine comment

The NFLPA will investigate Urban Meyer after the Jags coach said he considered players' vaccination statuses when making roster cuts, and he probably wasn't the only one—but he was the only one who admitted it."

This is pretty much what I felt when Beane came under scrutiny earlier in the off-season for saying if it took cutting an unvaccinated player to achieve a threshold and obtain a competitive advantage, he would do it - that every other GM in the league would privately do the same thing but STFU about it.

That may be why the NFL never set thresholds

But also:  Beane was firing a "warning shot" to tell players "this is something to think about", but now he and McDermott are all "no, that won't be a factor" with plausible deniability stacked high as sandbags around a floodplain house, and Urban Meyer is opening his yap and openly saying HE DID what the NFL cautioned folks not to.

Why would any sane coach or GM admit that, after the NFL and NFLPA said "You Can't Do That"?

27 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not sure I would consider CB a position of need and I am really not sure an upgrade comes from the Jets cut pile. 

If he struggled bad enough to be one of their worse defenders - he isn’t beating out our top guys on the 53.  He just isn’t.

Maybe. Saleh runs a similar 4-3 base as the Bills do and maybe feels Austin isn't suited as well as what Greg Williams was running last year. I do feel CB is a position of need though.

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Urban Meyer is under the microscope:

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/urban-meyer-says-vaccine-status-certainly-consideration-jags-cuts?ls=pftvod

"NFLPA investigating Meyer after vaccine comment

The NFLPA will investigate Urban Meyer after the Jags coach said he considered players' vaccination statuses when making roster cuts, and he probably wasn't the only one—but he was the only one who admitted it."

This is pretty much what I felt when Beane came under scrutiny earlier in the off-season for saying if it took cutting an unvaccinated player to achieve a threshold and obtain a competitive advantage, he would do it - that every other GM in the league would privately do the same thing but STFU about it.

That may be why the NFL never set thresholds

But also:  Beane was firing a "warning shot" to tell players "this is something to think about", but now he and McDermott are all "no, that won't be a factor" with plausible deniability stacked high as sandbags around a floodplain house, and Urban Meyer is opening his yap and openly saying HE DID what the NFL cautioned folks not to.

Why would any sane coach or GM admit that, after the NFL and NFLPA said "You Can't Do That"?

Urban has always felt he was above the law or was the law everyplace he has been.  

Jacksonville has been no different except each time he has tried to do things his way - sneaky hires, over practicing, and now vaccinated comments - he keeps getting his hand slapped.

He is not long for this position and that is going to set their QB back because Urban seems vindictive and I could see him doing similar things that Bill O’Brien did and destroying the team from the inside before he is gone.

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Urban has always felt he was above the law or was the law everyplace he has been. 

I mean, that's exactly how his remark struck me.

"I'm the only one who admitted it"

If that's what you believe, Coach Meyer (and I can't tell you there's not truth to it), maybe there's a GOOD REASON no one else would admit to it.  Maybe the other 31 head coaches are SMARTER and WISER Than you in this regard!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, that's exactly how his remark struck me.

"I'm the only one who admitted it"

If that's what you believe (and I can't tell you there's not some truth to it), maybe there's a REASON no one else would admit to it

It's a really interesting argument to me. IMO, anyone who doesn't admit that (if asked) is lying. I think Belichick is flat lying when he said it didn't at all factor into his decisions. I also think it was naive/stupid for Meyer to admit it because of how the NFL operates. But should we really just let this go? Should we really reward lying and punish honesty? That's a good debate.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Have to wonder if the Bills find a spot for Marlowe. 

I came in here to post this, but should've guessed that you had already done so. 😋

There IS an empty spot on the practice squad....

I guess we're about to find out how confident the Bills are in the youngsters Johnson, Hamlin, and Thomas (sounds like a law firm).

36 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's a really interesting argument to me. IMO, anyone who doesn't admit that (if asked) is lying. I think Belichick is flat lying when he said it didn't at all factor into his decisions. I also think it was naive/stupid for Meyer to admit it because of how the NFL operates. But should we really just let this go? Should we really reward lying and punish honesty? That's a good debate.

Well, this could just be me, but I think there's a lot more shades of gray in it than that.  I think most people have multiple factors driving a decision.  If they don't mention ALL of them when asked, are they lying?  Or are they telling the truth, but not the whole truth?  When we exchange information with a 15 or 30 minute presser and multiple reporters asking multiple questions, is there even room to tell the whole truth if you want to?

So, for example when Beane says cutting Hollister was "really a numbers decision.  we went heavy at DL" is he telling the truth?  Sure.  We did go heavy on DL, and he does have to make numbers decisions.

Is he telling the whole truth?  Almost certainly not. 

The Bills also chose to go "heavy" at WR (if one can say that of the Skinny Boy Club), including a WR who has TE-type height and is a good downfield and backfield blocker and good STer, Kumerow.  So Beane could truthfully say "we felt keeping another WR in Kumerow offered more to the team than keeping Hollister at TE". 

Is it lying if he doesn't say that?  I don't think so.  He doesn't have time or obligation to tell the whole truth about his decision making process.  There's also a "do right by your peeps" aspect, why shouldn't he do right by Hollister by saying only positive things in public?

Someone could point out that it's not just a numbers game, Sweeney who we haven't seen a lot out of made the roster when Hollister (who has shown something in PS) didn't.  Beane could respond that Sweeney is stronger and has shown more blocking potential.  He could point out Sweeney is locked up for 2 years and Hollister only one, so if they score them similarly it makes sense to keep the 2 year guy. 

Is it lying if he doesn't say that?  (See above)

And (totally hypothetical, I have no knowledge) supposing Sweeney is vaccinated and Hollister isn't, and other things close to equal, keep the guy who's vaxxed.  Why would Beane have a special responsibility to share that facet of his decision making process or be tagged with lying, especially when a player's vaccination status is in truth, a private matter unless the PLAYER chooses to disclose it?

I think framing it as "reward lying and punish honesty" is kind of simplistic.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, this could just be me, but I think there's a lot more shades of gray in it than that.  I think most people have multiple factors driving a decision.  If they don't mention ALL of them when asked, are they lying?  Or are they telling the truth, but not the whole truth?  When we exchange information with a 15 or 30 minute presser and multiple reporters asking multiple questions, is there even room to tell the whole truth if you want to?

So, for example when Beane says cutting Hollister was "really a numbers decision.  we went heavy at DL" is he telling the truth?  Almost certainly. 

Is he telling the whole truth?  Almost certainly not. 

The Bills also chose to go "heavy" at WR (if one can say that of the Skinny Boy Club), including a WR who has TE-type height and is a good downfield and backfield blocker and good STer, Kumerow.  So Beane could truthfully say "we felt keeping another WR in Kumerow offered more to the team than keeping Hollister at TE". 

Is it lying if he doesn't say that?  I don't think so.  He doesn't have time or obligation to tell the whole truth about his decision making process.

Someone could point out that it's not just a numbers game, Sweeney who we haven't seen a lot out of made the roster when Hollister (who has shown something in PS) didn't.  Beane could respond that Sweeney is stronger and has shown more blocking potential.  He could point out Sweeney is locked up for 2 years and Hollister only one, so if they score them similarly it makes sense to keep the 2 year guy. 

Is it lying if he doesn't say that?  See above)

And (totally hypothetical, I have no knowledge) supposing Sweeney is vaccinated and Hollister isn't, and other things close to equal, keep the guy who's vaxxed.  Why would Beane have a special responsibility to share that facet of his decision making process or be tagged with lying?

I think framing it as "reward lying and punish honesty" is kind of simplistic.

That’s not really my point. In this instance, it’s ONLY concerning COVID. There’s no other circumstance (unless you want to stretch it) where a team would really get in trouble for telling the truth. Of course all of the instances you gave were not lying per se. I meant any GM that says publicly that Covid had no bearing on their decision making IMO is very likely lying. Should we punish Meyer for honesty about Covid and reward GMs and coaches for lying about Covid. 

16 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That’s not really my point. In this instance, it’s ONLY concerning COVID. There’s no other circumstance (unless you want to stretch it) where a team would really get in trouble for telling the truth. Of course all of the instances you gave were not lying per se. I meant any GM that says publicly that Covid had no bearing on their decision making IMO is very likely lying. Should we punish Meyer for honesty about Covid and reward GMs and coaches for lying about Covid. 

I think we're talking past each other.  Let's try to approach it a different way.

Does vaccination play into all roster decisions?  Clearly not.  We're not cutting our core offensive or defensive players for vaccination status.  No way.

Into decisions about the "bubble players"?  Perhaps.  But the "bubble players" are the ones whose agents have been pointing out for months that if they want to advance their careers in the NFL and make sure they're not at a disadvantage relative to other players, Get Vaccinated.  So it's plausible that with 93% vaccination across the league, they're all vaccinated and it really wasn't a factor.

If we look at the Bills roster, about which we all think we know the most - @Alphadawg7 called our 53 man roster almost perfectly, based on reports from practice and watching the pre-season games.  Joe Buscaglia got pretty close.  Hollister was the biggest surprise, and as I pointed out, that can be argued/defended based on factors like time under contract, better blocking strength/potential and so forth.  IF vaccination was a factor, when you get to a personal level, it's private info.

So how can you definitively conclude that Meyer is being honest, and GMs who say it didn't factor are for sure lying?

Me, I think Urban Meyer is show-boating, trying to claim some sort of moral superiority to which he really lacks the right.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think we're talking past each other.  Let's try to approach it a different way.

Does vaccination play into all roster decisions?  Clearly not.  We're not cutting our core offensive or defensive players for vaccination status.  No way.

Into decisions about the "bubble players"?  Perhaps.  But the "bubble players" are the ones whose agents have been pointing out for months that if they want to advance their careers in the NFL and make sure they're not at a disadvantage relative to other players, Get Vaccinated.  So it's plausible that with 93% vaccination across the league, they're all vaccinated and it really wasn't a factor.

If we look at the Bills roster, about which we all think we know the most - @Alphadawg7 called our 53 man roster almost perfectly, based on reports from practice and watching the pre-season games.  Joe Buscaglia got pretty close.  Hollister was the biggest surprise, and as I pointed out, that can be argued/defended based on factors like time under contract, better blocking strength/potential and so forth.  IF vaccination was a factor, when you get to a personal level, it's private info.

So how can you definitively conclude that Meyer is being honest, and GMs who say it didn't factor are for sure lying?

Me, I think Urban Meyer is show-boating, trying to claim some sort of moral superiority to which he really lacks the right.

We don't know which players are and are not vaccinated on the Bills, and even if you are, your position group can be affected by vaccination status. For example, I don't think it's pure coincidence that the Bills had three WR unvaccinated (now two) and that we kept 7 WR which is virtually unheard of. Those 7 WR affects most other units, considering we would love to have kept Johnson but no room for him, another OL but no room, maybe Hollister but no room, another CB but no room. Do we know this for absolute sure? Of course not. But again I think it's almost impossible to imagine that Beane, McD,  Daboll and Chad Hall did not strongly discuss the fact that Beasley, Davis and McKenzie were not vaccinated regardless of their public stance.