Will Gabe Davis ever challenge the #1 WR spot?

13 hours ago, NickelCity said:

I'll be very happy if he's our long term #2. It'd be such a boon if he took another step this year. 

if he is a #1, he will never want to be our #2.  He will get a #1 contract after his four years

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

And then you have your "possession" guy, your "slot" guy, your "speed" guy...when any well-rounded WR could be serving any of those rolls on any given play.

I think you're on to something here. 

One of the hallmarks of Daboll's offense is he likes positional flexibility in his WR.  (Sometimes he likes it so much that he sees it in players who have it not).  But I think we're going to see more mixing-and-matching of receiver roles than the traditional X, Y, Z receiver nomenclature implies.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think Davis has a long way to go. He's a well-rounded receiver and models his game after Larry Fitzgerald. He's going to continue to improve and be one of Josh's most reliable guys for years, IMO.

After last season, we needed him to take a step.  He looked very good yesterday, if that translates to the regular season you could be correct.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Sorry my friend Digg

But it is reverse.

The lower gearing allows the most amount of torque to be applied.

Stump pulling is also done in reverse. Diesel motors preferred 

Well sure if you want cornerback machinery, but for wide receiver machinery….yeah, I have no idea what I’m talking about 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ganesh said:

if he is a #1, he will never want to be our #2.  He will get a #1 contract after his four years

Well one things for sure, as long as Diggs is on this roster Davis won't be the #1 WR, or even competing for #1WR. I think we can all agree on that... so that means it would depend on how some things go between now and then. Whenever the time comes that Diggs leaves (hopefully a good 4 years at least) if Davis is still there and has continued to improve throughout that time to be a #1, or compete for it.

imo he's just got to improve the separation part of his game the most, but has to be a pretty clear improvement. Everything else he does is good and can still get even better at that. He is definitely a very good, young, up and coming WR for sure. But if he can get to the point he can separate with the best of em, it is very possible he could be a #1 WR in the future.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

7 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

He would be the #1 receiver on the 2018 Buffalo Bills.  😄

All hail Brandon Beane!

Our WR room was basically devoid of NFL quality talent not too long ago. Today? All fixed, and we are LOADED! 

Then our DLine was old and expensive. Looks like he worked his magic again! 

Not too shabby! Not too shabby at all…..

For what it’s worth, Gabe Davis was my surprise of the year last season. Even more so than Josh’s leap forward. We had seen flashes from Josh. I had no idea who that rookie was or how quickly he would have a major impact on our Bills. 

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, ganesh said:

My comment was meant to imply that I don't think Gabe will be a true "#1" as commonly understood. And that's not a bad thing.

37 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

My comment was meant to imply that I don't think Gabe will be a true "#1" as commonly understood. And that's not a bad thing.

I'm kinda leaning that way but at same time realize it is possible he could in the future. You stated as a "true #1 as commonly understood". Curious as to what you would commonly understand as a true #1. For instance to me a true #1 WR comes to mind, I think of a player that has reliable hands, good route runner that has awareness of not only where he is on the field and makes the tough catches, but also smart enough to take advantage of different defenses. Also has speed, although does not have to be the  fastest, and can separate well.

With that said, Davis has shown he has alot of that already. I understand he needs work on separation, but I think he will improve that also. If he can keep all that up going forward, I mean he could certainly have a good  shot at being a #1 WR sometime in the future. Idk, just my 2 cents

Many differing opinions of ‘#1 Receiver’. It’s easy to construct a mountain from this mole hill, but me thinks y’all are looking at the wrong team for the answer. For simplicity, I go with who your opponents’ best DB lines up against. If Deon Sanders lines up against Andre Reed, throw to Lofton all day.

🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

I would be pretty upset if Sanders takes snaps from Davis.

I get that we need depth at the position seeing as how Bease was playing with a broken leg and Gabe was out against the Chiefs

But there is no world where I can see Sanders being a better fit than Gabe in this offense.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:49 AM, Rk_Bills86 said:

Davis reminds me of Moulds a little bit. Never going to wow you with pure speed, but has everything else and somehow manages to get leverage or behind DBs

Great comp. He does have the Moulds like ability. Can you imagine Moulds as our #2. I get excited about the Diggs/Davis/Beasley/Sanders group. 

I think in 2024/25 Gabe may be our #1.  As long as Diggs is here, and I hope its a long time, Davis is our #2. 

But what I love the most is the McDermott never numbers these guys. It's all about the team as a whole. LOVE IT!!!

3 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Great comp. He does have the Moulds like ability. Can you imagine Moulds as our #2. I get excited about the Diggs/Davis/Beasley/Sanders group. 

I think in 2024/25 Gabe may be our #1.  As long as Diggs is here, and I hope its a long time, Davis is our #2. 

But what I love the most is the McDermott never numbers these guys. It's all about the team as a whole. LOVE IT!!!

Moulds was a great WR. I don't know about comparing Davis to Moulds though. What exactly about Davis do you compare to Moulds? The height? Not trying to be a smart ass and hope you don't take it that way. Seriously wondering because I honestly don't see it myself. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/29/2021 at 5:45 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Well, ya gotta wet the field real good, then place heavy machinery along the sidelines with huge clamps attached. Then, on 3! everybody throw it in reverse and smash the accelerator.

Chand, don’t forget the giant rolling pin.  Put you’re shoulders into it!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/29/2021 at 11:10 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

On 8/29/2021 at 11:10 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He’s looked fantastic this pre-season and that’s

I would caution anyone looking to draft Diggs early in fantasy to maybe not do so this year. Diggs will likely lead us in receiving again but I don’t expect him to come close to 1500 yards and 120 receptions.  I could see Davis, Beasley and Sanders all going over 60 receptions which will cut into Diggs share. I also see the TE and RB groups combined each combining for a greater number of receptions this year.

I was going to pick him up in our draft last night, he went two rounds earlier than I expected. Folks outside our circle see things in him was well. And Hollister got drafted but that is my fault for planting the seed he might see more involvement in one of the best offenses in the game.

Edited by Coastie

Probably not. When you have a great WR corp the way the Bills do it allows younger players to elevate. I can certainly see him moving to a WR2 spot, but Diggs allows that so he can get targets. Similar to when we had Moulds and Reed emerged because he demanded that type of attention. 

It comes down to what a player is willing to put into it.  Talent gets you drafted.  From the start Davis was pre draft working with Brandon Marshall.         Look no further than Allen.  His personal effort to improve his created the player he has become.  Davis is positioned to have a very good year.