Will Gabe Davis ever challenge the #1 WR spot?

Diggs was a 5th round pick and many other super star WR have been drafted lower, stat wise Diggs rookie year wasn't much better than Davis, so anything is possible.

Also think Davis Beasley and Sanders will tend to more split the reps between #2 and slot with Sanders playing many snaps in both positions, thus allowing Davis then to play the #2 role.

Can see McKenzie's snaps as a WR decreasing IF he is the return guy.  Would they put him on the field the first play after returning a KO 35 yards, maybe not as often.  For similar reason could see them going with Stevenson as the return guy instead.  Think they'd get more out of both of them overall as return guy and WR than they did Roberts last 2 years.  The way Allen completes passes, less return yards is OK in lieu of better WR play.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

First off, please don't jump down my throat. It's just a random thought/question and not a preseason overreaction. This has been on my mind since the end of last season. 

When I watch Davis ball, he looks like a star in the making. The chemistry between him and Allen has been evident from the beginning. He's not the fastest guy, but and can stretch the field. He's also great in the Red zone coming in 3rd place of all rookies last year in TD receptions + is the best on the team at making those sideline catches (IMO.) Great measurables, sure handed, and versatile. What more can you ask for? My only concern is his lack of production in the playoffs specifically against KC when we needed someone to really step up. 

I don't wanna say I exactly "disappointed" that the Bills picked up Emmanuel Sanders, I know depth is never a bad thing, but I really wanted to see where his progression would lead to getting more targets. I feel he will eventually take that #2 (if he already hasn't) and become a 1B guy to Diggs. 

What do you guys think? 

Not with Diggs here but I believe Stefon n Davante Adams are 1a 1b as far as the best in the game  

Davis looked phenomenal this pre season,  I love the way he uses his length to get the ball. I think he can definitely be an elite WR. I can see him being a Keenan Allen type of WR, def a steal and a super bright future 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, RobbRiddick said:

He'll be our Alvin Harper - a very good number 2 who ends up getting paid a huge contract to be a team's number 1 and subsequently disappoints

The Steelers were doing this for years - drafting receivers in the 3-6th round range, developing them in a high-octane passing offense, and watching them get paid elsewhere.  Sanders was one such guy.  They’d leave and the next one would grow in like shark’s teeth.  With Davis, Hodgins and now Stevenson, we may be replicating that system.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Steelers were doing this for years - drafting receivers in the 3-6th round range, developing them in a high-octane passing offense, and watching them get paid elsewhere.  Sanders was one such guy.  They’d leave and the next one would grow in like shark’s teeth.  With Davis, Hodgins and now Stevenson, we may be replicating that system.

Still doing it, although have begun using 2nd round picks. Their top 4 receivers currently were all day 2 picks by the team.

2017 - 2nd Round - JuJu

2018 - 2nd Round - James Washington

2019 - 3rd Round - Diontae Johnson

2020 - 2nd Round - Chase Claypool

And for most of that period they ran a lot of spread concepts and as much 4 wide and empty as anyone. The Bills now do that which is why I think it is essential that they take a receiver they like every draft. As Allen's deal bites the Beasley, Brown, Sanders level FAs won't be sustainable. Paying a true #1 in Diggs or his eventual successor is doable but the rest of your group better be cheap.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, without a drought said:

This doesn't mean he can or can't,  but that TD yesterday sure looked like a classic Kelly to Reed TD. 

Agree.  He’s similar to Andre in that nothing about him stands out - but he does all things well and with an excellent QB and luck staying healthy, he could accumulate some impressive numbers. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Will Gabe Davis ever challenge the #1 WR spot?

I don't wanna say I exactly "disappointed" that the Bills picked up Emmanuel Sanders, I know depth is never a bad thing, but I really wanted to see where his progression would lead to getting more targets. I feel he will eventually take that #2 (if he already hasn't) and become a 1B guy to Diggs. 

What do you guys think? 

This year on this team? I don't even see him challenging for #3 unless one of the top three get cut or injured.

Ever on the Buffalo Bills in his career? I don't see it happening in the next eight or nine years as long as Diggs is here. My guess is no.

Ever on any team? There I'd say it's possible.

Maybe he'll improve greatly over the next few years. But he looks to me like a solid guy who's really good at the scramble drill. 

I definitely think he finishes this year as the undisputed #2 WR, he probably could be a transitional #1 someplace in a year or two.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

This year on this team? I don't even see him challenging for #3 unless one of the top three get cut or injured.

Ever on the Buffalo Bills in his career? I don't see it happening in the next eight or nine years as long as Diggs is here. My guess is no.

Ever on any team? There I'd say it's possible.

Maybe he'll improve greatly over the next few years. But he looks to me like a solid guy who's really good at the scramble drill. 

I do, I think he takes over for Sanders by the end of the year.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not on this roster.  But he's the #2 and a massive upgrade from "Smoke".

I don't even agree with this. He's got areas where he's stronger than Smoke, such as health so far, and high-pointing the ball, but a healthy Smoke to a second-year Davis isn't an upgrade, IMO.

6 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I definitely think he finishes this year as the undisputed #2 WR, he probably could be a transitional #1 someplace in a year or two.

I do, I think he takes over for Sanders by the end of the year.

Well, we'll see. Obviously there's no way to prove you're wrong, short of watching the season play out, but I sure think you'll be shown wrong there.

Edited by Thurman#1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

I don't even agree with this. He's got areas where he's stronger than Smoke, such as health so far, and high-pointing the ball, but a healthy Smoke to a second-year Davis isn't an upgrade, IMO.

A fully healthy smoke... it's more like a wash to my eyes. The smoke we had last year? Yea Davis was better as a rookie and not just by a bit. He was almost 3 and a half yards per reception better and 4 touchdowns better (and he only had 10 more targets which isn't enough for that to all be sample size). I think Davis is really good and I think he will be the #2 outside guy on this team this year and it will be close between him and Beas for 2nd most productive overall.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

First off, please don't jump down my throat. It's just a random thought/question and not a preseason overreaction. This has been on my mind since the end of last season. 

When I watch Davis ball, he looks like a star in the making. The chemistry between him and Allen has been evident from the beginning. He's not the fastest guy, but and can stretch the field. He's also great in the Red zone coming in 3rd place of all rookies last year in TD receptions + is the best on the team at making those sideline catches (IMO.) Great measurables, sure handed, and versatile. What more can you ask for? My only concern is his lack of production in the playoffs specifically against KC when we needed someone to really step up. 

What do you guys think? 

I think it's possible but while I hope he continues to develop with the Bills, I hope he doesn't.  Let me explain a little bit.

Diggs didn't really break out until 2017 ("Miracle in Minneapolis catch that sent them to conf. championship) and he didn't become the uncontested #1 until last season, his 6th in the league.

Sanders didn't really become "a" Top Dog until his 5th year, when he switched teams from Pittsburgh to Denver.  Pittsburgh had a deep WR room when he came into the league and he was down the depth chart behind Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown.  In Denver he had to share honors with Demaryius Thomas.

So one aspect is to really get there, it can take time - 3-4 years.  Being able to contribute behind 1-2 stronger WR who draw the top coverage, is not the same as being able to

One facet of a team with a clear #1, is that they don't have a very deep WR room.  When you do, it's harder to argue a guy is a clear #1.  Diggs was a clear #1 last year.  It would be nice to have 2 WR close to that caliber (Wallace and AB; Demaryius Thomas and Sanders)

If we find ourselves a couple years from now debating whether or not Davis is the #1 on the team, that will be a Good Thing.

For now, he's a very capable Sorcerer's Apprentice to one Stefon Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He’s looked fantastic this pre-season and that’s coming off a nice rookie season where he could have easily lead the team in receiving TD’s if it were not for two pre-snap illegal procedure penalties.

we have an embarrassment of riches at the WR group. Similar to Tampa Bay. Our guys are more precise route runners though where as guys like Godwin and Evans are more physically gifted. 

I would caution anyone looking to draft Diggs early in fantasy to maybe not do so this year. Diggs will likely lead us in receiving again but I don’t expect him to come close to 1500 yards and 120 receptions.  I could see Davis, Beasley and Sanders all going over 60 receptions which will cut into Diggs share. I also see the TE and RB groups combined each combining for a greater number of receptions this year.

On the flip side I really hope Daboll calls more games this year like the Seattle game last year and let’s Josh throw is 50+ times. 

Smoke too me never seemed like a great route runner. The perception of Davis is that he doesn’t get enough separation, meaning maybe not a great route runner. This perception is probably due to his bigger and taller frame but I am not sure it is actually accurate. 

He seems to have been and is capable of running the entire route tree in our offense when I watch him.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 2