Will Gabe Davis ever challenge the #1 WR spot?

First off, please don't jump down my throat. It's just a random thought/question and not a preseason overreaction. This has been on my mind since the end of last season. 

When I watch Davis ball, he looks like a star in the making. The chemistry between him and Allen has been evident from the beginning. He's not the fastest guy, but and can stretch the field. He's also great in the Red zone coming in 3rd place of all rookies last year in TD receptions + is the best on the team at making those sideline catches (IMO.) Great measurables, sure handed, and versatile. What more can you ask for? My only concern is his lack of production in the playoffs specifically against KC when we needed someone to really step up. 

I don't wanna say I exactly "disappointed" that the Bills picked up Emmanuel Sanders, I know depth is never a bad thing, but I really wanted to see where his progression would lead to getting more targets. I feel he will eventually take that #2 (if he already hasn't) and become a 1B guy to Diggs. 

What do you guys think? 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He was injured going into the AFC Championship game. He's definitely developing well but that's hard to say very few actually reach that level.

To what extent? I can't remember what was exactly wrong w him in the AFCC. I looked up his stats and he only had 3 targets and 0 catches. 

• Like (+1) 1

Spot on OP, have had similar musings—not too worried about Sanders elbowing Gabe out though, as it’s clear the Bills (Josh) will keep feeding him the ball and Sanders’ age makes this feel more like a James Lofton type signing that helps the team out in the short term, while Davis is solidly long term here. Future is definitely bright for this kid! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Spot on OP, have had similar musings—not too worried about Sanders elbowing Gabe out though, as it’s clear the Bills (Josh) will keep feeding him the ball and Sanders’ age makes this feel more like a James Lofton type signing that helps the team out in the short term, while Davis is solidly long term here. Future is definitely bright for this kid! 

It's definitely one of the better WR groups in the league. Each receiver has their own specific skill set which I think is great. Good comparison w/ Lofton. Sanders still has good burst out there and I'm honestly excited for both.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Probably not because he'll likely be unable to separate consistently from most teams best corner.  He can develop into a great #2 though.

Disagree.  Depends on his route running and ability to catch contested passes.  Michael Thomas ran slightly slower at the combine than Davis did and he’s a number one.   Davis is in a room full of great route runners to learn from, he has excellent hands and body control.  I could see him growing into a one.  But Diggs will be around for a while, health permitting, so it won’t be necessary.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

Does it really matter what number he’s assigned and you don’t hear McD say #2, 3, or 4.  I’m not attempting to be disagreeable, just it kind of doesn’t matter.  Sports writers have a tendency to assign numbers to WR’s.

Davis is a heck of a good young WR.  Beane made an excellent choice in the 4th round.  I watched him at UCF as it’s on down here all the time.  He knows how to anticipate D Backs and counter on his routes.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, nucci said:

how do you stretch the field?

Well, ya gotta wet the field real good, then place heavy machinery along the sidelines with huge clamps attached. Then, on 3! everybody throw it in reverse and smash the accelerator.

• Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Short answer: not as long as Diggs is here.

Longer answer: I like what I've seen from him last year and thus far in preseason. He is a fantastic piece and I am happy to have him.  However, Right now he is probably the third or fourth best receiver on the team (Diggs and Beasley, it's been a toss up between him and Sanders) so the idea of seeing him compete for #1 seems premature. I don't think we have seen him able to take on a top flight CB and win, or handle double teams

That said, I do see him competing to be a very good #2 receiver. Do I like the idea of him one on one vs most teams #2 CB? Definitely. If the Bills are willing to move on from Beasley in 2022 (cap savings on a 33 year old slot WR) I would feel a whole lot better with Davis here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Probably not because he'll likely be unable to separate consistently from most teams best corner.  He can develop into a great #2 though.

This. I think he will be our consensus #2 by the end of this season. Can he be a #1? I am not yet sold that he can separate on that gotta have it play against a team's #1 corner. He has improved his separation since being here with some efficiencies in his footwork off the line but he isn't ready to go in that department yet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He has everything you would want in a #1 and had a really good rookie season, I don’t see why he couldn’t be a #1.  Diggs is the Alpha right now, but there’s nothing stopping Davis from taking the other outside job and continuing to improve.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Every Batman needs a Robin. 

I think Davis will be a solid WR in the league for years to come and I thought he showed enough to take the next step which was taking over for Brown. I like Sanders but didn't think he was needed and felt that money was better spent on a CB2. 

• Like (+1) 2

Gabe Davis has been going to work everyday sitting in WR rooms learning from Stephon Diggs, John Brown, Cole Beasley, and Emmanuel Sanders.

Brian Daboll is his OC.

He has Josh Allen slinging him the rock.

There isn't a young WR in the NFL in a better situation than he is.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

This. I think he will be our consensus #2 by the end of this season. Can he be a #1? I am not yet sold that he can separate on that gotta have it play against a team's #1 corner. He has improved his separation since being here with some efficiencies in his footwork off the line but he isn't ready to go in that department yet.

I think this is spot on.  My guess is this offense is going to look different throughout the year, but I anticipate a lot of Diggs, Davis on the outside and Sanders, Beasley on the inside forcing teams to try and cover 4 quick route runners. 

Davis will be the #2 which is his perfect role on this team.  He finds ways to get open downfield and just makes plays.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, ya gotta wet the field real good, then place heavy machinery along the sidelines with huge clamps attached. Then, on 3! everybody throw it in reverse and smash the accelerator.

Throwing it in reverse??  Everyone knows if you want to be a professional field stretcher you put the clamp on the back and go forward!!!

Amateur....

• Haha (+1) 2