8/28/21 Post Game Thread Bills vs Packers Preseason finale

42 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I didn’t see the game and just catching up (at my wife’s family reunion) this weekend. Haven’t seen anything on any injuries, did we come away unscathed?

I saw Bates go to the locker room.  Can’t think of anyone else. 

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Of the other 4 throws to Sanders, 3 were clearly uncatchable. 1 looked like a clear throw away that hit the ground 5 yards in front of Sanders; 2 were overthrown (1 over the middle and 1 deep along the sidelines); and the other could have been caught (?) but was really more of bad placement by Allen in a throw to the flat.

So room for Allen to improve or get in sync with Sanders.  I saw the one that hit the ground 5 yds in front of Sanders and Allen was cradling and shaking his hand afterwards, but that was the play before the beautiful deep throw to Davis so if his hand was hit, there wasn't much to it.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Remember "I hope Joey Bosa is OK" tweeted by Matt Barkley?   Allen was shaken up and got helped off the field in the middle of a set of downs and Barkley came in for one play (and promptly took a bad sack).    Allen was OK and returned to the game the next play.

The experienced backup QB needs to be aware he can be thrown into the game for a snap or two at any time.

Trubisky has never been a backup QB before.

He was benched last year for a few weeks and was back up to Nick Foles. He would come off bench as wild cat QB. He got hurt on one of the plays. Idk how long he was out for but he didn't start from week 8 until week 12. Week 8 he was def back up and wild cat QB. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

20 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He was benched last year for a few weeks and was back up to Nick Foles. He would come off bench as wild cat QB. He got hurt on one of the plays. Idk how long he was out for but he didn't start from week 8 until week 12. Week 8 he was def back up and wild cat QB. 

Thanks I had thought he was injured the whole time he was on the bench.

Looking at https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TrubMi00/gamelog/2020/,

it appears he did not play from weeks 4-7, is credited with 1 rush (would that be wildcat?) week 8, was out injured weeks 9-10, and started weeks 11 and 12.

So he may have been the backup qb for a stretch (weeks 4-8?)

I sit corrected.

42 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I saw Bates go to the locker room.  Can’t think of anyone else. 

@Chandler#81 posted this above, I can't the post quickly so just re-post.  I wonder what is "head injury" vs "concussion"?

Does anyone know what happened and who was playing C on the Davis Webb fumble?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks I had thought he was injured the whole time he was on the bench.

Looking at https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TrubMi00/gamelog/2020/,

it appears he did not play from weeks 4-7, is credited with 1 rush (would that be wildcat?) week 8, was out injured weeks 9-10, and started weeks 11 and 12.

So he may have been the backup qb for a stretch (weeks 4-8?)

I sit corrected.

@Chandler#81 posted this above, I can't the post quickly so just re-post.  I wonder what is "head injury" vs "concussion"?

Does anyone know what happened and who was playing C on the Davis Webb fumble?

Thanks for the link. I was looking for that. 

12 hours ago, Dukestreetking said:

Thanks for this. If you have a sec, can you expand on this? Interested in this specific observation... "palms" quarters.

It's a term for a kind of deep set cover 2/quarters hybrid. Lots of changes based on route depth, this explains it fairly well.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/7/1/18772914/summer-of-spags-2-read-coverage-rules-and-permutations

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

This is truly your take? Our mostly first string D vs their 100% 2nd string O? You may want to rethink your posting strategy.

Pretty much, I don;t really care how many yards the defense gives up, if the other teams do not score, we win.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did we have this one yet?  This is a real "That Freakin' Guy" (DC hurls clipboard) throw by Allen

I was watching the game with my youngest son, who's finally getting interested in learning the game. As we watched this play I had to tell him that you really don't want to throw across your body like that, but that Allen is extraordinary and he can.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Have we had a link to Cover1's analysis yet?

https://www.cover1.net/studs-and-duds-buffalo-bills-green-bay-packers/

Their "Studs" are Josh Allen, Star Lotulelei, Siran Neal, and Boogie Basham.  Had this to say about Neal:

After constructing a preseason that was full of peaks and valleys, Siran Neal put together his most consistent game Saturday.

As has come to be expected out of the fourth-year defender, Neal shined on special teams, making a few key tackles, the most impressive of which being an open-field takedown of Amari Rodgers on a punt return. For the first time this preseason, he shined defensively, starting with a nice tackle on Green Bay’s first drive. He shed a block to meet Packers’ running back Kylin Hill near the sideline and hold him to a minimal gain, the first of his team-leading six tackles on the day.

He wasn’t perfect, showing a few lapses in coverage, but it was a relative return to form for a player who had been the recipient of a fair bit of hype throughout training camp.

Duds include Cornerback Depth.  Had this to say:

With Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson missing the game due to injury, the cornerbacks at the bottom of the team’s depth chart had the opportunity to flash, to show Buffalo’s brass that they should consider carrying a sixth corner.

Unfortunately, they failed to do so.

Nick McCloud and Cam Lewis both saw time on the boundary, and both largely struggled. McCloud gave up a 27-yard pass to Malik Taylor on a free play before giving up another nine yards to Taylor on the very next down. Lewis, who got the start opposite Tre’Davious White, was also oft-exposed in coverage, especially on a first-quarter play in which he was turned around and burnt for a 29-yard Reggie Begelton reception. He eventually saw time in the slot, where he’s primarily played throughout his professional career, but mostly struggled there, as well.

Neither were entirely bad, but their lowlights largely overpowered their highlights. Both McCloud and Lewis are still favorites to make Buffalo’s practice squad, but neither did themselves any favors in terms of making the team’s 53-man roster on Saturday.

He also had Davis Webb down as a dud:

As one could expect in a 19-0 victory, few Buffalo players were visibly bad on Saturday.

Davis Webb certainly falls into this category. He wasn’t necessarily poor – he didn’t check into the game until there were six minutes remaining, and he threw just six passes – but he didn’t look great in limited action. He had a few overthrows and completed just 50 percent of his passes, not looking particularly great in a game in which Jake Fromm – whom Webb is competing with for a roster/practice squad spot – played his most consistent, and arguably best, football of the preseason.

Between his usage and on-field play, it looks as though Webb is now the clear odd-man-out in Buffalo’s quarterback room. Unless the team moves Fromm for a day-three draft picks or opts to keep two quarterbacks on its practice squad, Webb may be in search of another job next week.

My feeling is that the Bills decided they knew what they had in Webb after a solid showing vs. the Lions, and that putting him with the 3rd or 4th string OL and WR did hm no favors.  I think they were showcasing Fromm to see if they could get a pick for him - Hey, it worked for the Bills with  AJ McCarron in 2018

1 hour ago, mabden said:

Pretty much, I don;t really care how many yards the defense gives up, if the other teams do not score, we win.

Do you think their 1st string would do better than their 2nd string? If so, then you should have concerns about our run defense regardless of points scored. If not, then you may want to make a new handle to post with.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Have we had a link to Cover1's analysis yet?

https://www.cover1.net/studs-and-duds-buffalo-bills-green-bay-packers/

Their "Studs" are Josh Allen, Star Lotulelei, Siran Neal, and Boogie Basham.  Had this to say about Neal:

Duds include Cornerback Depth.  Had this to say:

He also had Davis Webb down as a dud:

My feeling is that the Bills decided they knew what they had in Webb after a solid showing vs. the Lions, and that putting him with the 3rd or 4th string OL and WR did hm no favors.  I think they were showcasing Fromm to see if they could get a pick for him - Hey, it worked for the Bills with  AJ McCarron in 2018

This isn't the first look at Webb for the staff. We are a 2 QB team right now and maybe they get to the practice squad but it wouldn't surprise me if they looked outside the organization.  If they did chose 1, I think Fromm goes on PS.

12 minutes ago, klos63 said:

This isn't the first look at Webb for the staff. We are a 2 QB team right now and maybe they get to the practice squad but it wouldn't surprise me if they looked outside the organization.  If they did chose 1, I think Fromm goes on PS.

I think they go with Webb on the PS, because apparently he spends his week being a Junior Coach and Utility Player on the Scout Team, who, Oh yeah, can probably play QB in a pinch.

I think they were trying to showcase Fromm for a trade to a QB needy team.  7 round pick, Incoming!

7 hours ago, nucci said:

never got the shake off the rust comment. He's been practicing with these guys for a while now. Will they same the same thing about Rodgers since he didn't play at all this preseason? It's just all tired cliches

I think the idea is especially for a young player, there's a different "feel" to the game when "they're coming for you!" and can knock the stuffing out of you Vs when you're wearing a red jersey and the whistle will blow if they get too close.

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I we sure it's not just because Josh was on fire?

It was very hot.   I sit 2 rows into the shade at 1pm and then the shadows creep down during the game so we had it made........but the sunny side(visitor sideline) was basically vacant by the 4th quarter.    We came out to the tailgate with 4 fingers up to let the scorched sunny-siders know we go all 4 quarters on the home side.