8/28/21 Post Game Thread Bills vs Packers Preseason finale

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK so here's a comment from McD in the BN (I guess I also missed the play)

Mitchell Trubisky came in for one play and he handed it off to Kerrith Whyte, which McDermott said was by design in case a similar situation came up in the regular season.

So what exact situation were they working on??  I don't get it??  What did this accomplish??  Does this guarantee Super Bowl??

If Josh got injured and you had to rush Mitch on the field with no prep time - can he handle the snap, is he prepared to be able to run a play, can he get the play call, can we get him out there without wasting a timeout.

Does it guarantee a Super Bowl - Nope, but it once again shows this coaching staff understands game situations and wants to make sure the players and coaches are prepared.  

Then you can talk about it in film and determine- how do we get better, how would we handle it if it was third and long, how did the coaching staff react and what things can we put in place to get better.

This may never be needed or maybe it is the one play that continues a drive in a must win game to get home field advantage.  It is very smart coaching.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

If Josh got injured and you had to rush Mitch on the field with no prep time - can he handle the snap, is he prepared to be able to run a play, can he get the play call, can we get him out there without wasting a timeout.

Does it guarantee a Super Bowl - Nope, but it once again shows this coaching staff understands game situations and wants to make sure the players and coaches are prepared.  

Then you can talk about it in film and determine- how do we get better, how would we handle it if it was third and long, how did the coaching staff react and what things can we put in place to get better.

This may never be needed or maybe it is the one play that continues a drive in a must win game to get home field advantage.  It is very smart coaching.

Yeah other poster just said the same, now I get it, makes sense what he was trying to do.

Super Bowl part was a joke since I had no idea what the play was doing.

1 hour ago, RunJoshRun said:

I have to agree.  Too small a market is the issue.

I disagree. GB, JAX, KC aren’t big time markets. Buffalo maybe a smaller market but the national fanbase is huge. If a player is a stud, the press will follow. Josh and the Bills just need to keep doing what they’ve been doing………WINNING! People like winners and playmakers.

5 hours ago, Beast said:

Huh?

He's getting a lot of respect everywhere I look.

Yep, I don't live in Buffalo, surrounded by fans of other teams, they think he's one of the best. It's just a buffalo thing of feeling disrespected.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Simon said:

Ed wrecked that ****

Jacked up the center so hard he tripped up the QB AND took out the H-back who was supposed to lock down the other side AND forced the RG to peel back and pick him up. :lol:

I just watched this again and realized he also chipped the RB after he buried the center.

Ed Oliver is taking on quintuple teams.

• Like (+1) 1

By my unofficial calculation Josh pass to Gabriel Davis ball velocity was 67.5 mph AT LEAST. The pass from the time it left Josh Allen hand to the time Gabriel Davis caught it was less than 1 sec. The pass was 31 yards plus 2 feet into the endzone so lets say 33 yards total so ( 33 yards = 99 feet x 60 sec x 60 mins / 5280 = 67.5 mph

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK so here's a comment from McD in the BN (I guess I also missed the play)

Mitchell Trubisky came in for one play and he handed it off to Kerrith Whyte, which McDermott said was by design in case a similar situation came up in the regular season.

So what exact situation were they working on??  I don't get it??  What did this accomplish??  Does this guarantee Super Bowl??

Remember "I hope Joey Bosa is OK" tweeted by Matt Barkley?   Allen was shaken up and got helped off the field in the middle of a set of downs and Barkley came in for one play (and promptly took a bad sack).    Allen was OK and returned to the game the next play.

The experienced backup QB needs to be aware he can be thrown into the game for a snap or two at any time.

Trubisky has never been a backup QB before.

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/08/josh-allen-bills-starting-offense-looks-ready-for-week-1-preseason-week-3-stock-up-stock-down.html

Ryan Talbot article. 

Four receptions are great, but he was listed with 8 targets.  What happened on the other 4?  (haven't had a chance to watch full game yet)

Emmanuel Sanders saw his first preseason action and said it was important for him to get used to Buffalo’s high tempo offense. Sanders fared well hauling in four passes for 27 yards. Three of Sanders’ receptions moved the chains for the Bills.

Were the Bills showcasing Jake Fromm on Saturday? It’s possible. The team is expected to keep just two quarterbacks on their 53-man roster so Fromm’s best bet of remaining in Buffalo would be on the practice squad along with veteran Davis Webb.

If Saturday was a showcase, Fromm made the most of it completing 10-of-16 passes for 87 yards. He also used his legs to score a touchdown from 13 yards out.

Strong words about Bobby Hart, but I don't think anyone here would disagree.

Tommy Doyle, Bobby Hart

Tommy Doyle, a day three pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, showed that he still needs plenty of work before he is ready to see the field. That is expected for a rookie.

Bobby Hart, a veteran, also continued to struggle for the Bills this preseason. Despite Spencer Brown dealing with an injury there is no way the team can keep Hart on their roster as a swing tackle candidate. The Bills will likely be able to find an upgrade at the position via trade or waiver wire post-cuts.

Matt Parrino Article

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/08/bills-josh-allen-lights-up-packers-in-preseason-finale-gabriel-davis-is-a-problem-8-observations.html

Focus on what he had to say about D, nothing that will surprise anyone here:

Work to do vs. run

Speaking of the Bills defense against the run, that’ll likely be an area that McDermott focuses on with his team the next two weeks leading up to the season opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Packers ran for over 100 yards and there were a few bad missed tackles and incorrect reads from the front seven when diagnosing running lanes. The Bills ultimately bent and didn’t break but Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams, and Aaron Jones didn’t play.

He likes Klein:

Dependable A.J. Klein

Klein was used quite a bit as the Bills used a lot of their 4-3 look in this game with Taron Johnson out with a wrist injury. Klein had four tackles including a massive tackle for a loss against Packers running back A.J. Dillon on a 3rd and goal carry that forced a 4th down. Klein’s ability to step in for either injured starter and play the third linebacker role has made him a valuable depth piece. That’s also a big reason the Bills can get by with just five linebackers if they choose to keep seven defensive ends.

I'd really like to keep Obada.  If our goal is to significantly improve our pass rush, I'm not persuaded we can change things by keeping them the same:

Bam Johnson likely wins out over Efe Obada if...

Johnson was close on another sack but the second-year safety Josh Thomas beat him there. Johnson is obviously needed on special teams but it’s been his play off the edge that has made him stand out this preseason. He’s flipping inside more this year and has shown an ability to affect plays from both spots.

Brandon Beane said on the broadcast that he’s fielded some calls from other NFL GMs interested in his d-line depth. If he moves one of the defensive ends it’ll likely mean Johnson’s training camp/preseason performance factored in. Obada has been so good in camp but he was playing in the fourth quarter against the Packers. The numbers game at DE is going to be interesting.

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Josh Allen is going to be one of those players that is not going to get the respect he deserves until he actually win the Super Bowl

what do you mean? Everything thing I watch and read about is Allen and how great he and the Bills look

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Four receptions are great, but he was listed with 8 targets.  What happened on the other 4?  (haven't had a chance to watch full game yet)

Of the other 4 throws to Sanders, 3 were clearly uncatchable. 1 looked like a clear throw away that hit the ground 5 yards in front of Sanders; 2 were overthrown (1 over the middle and 1 deep along the sidelines); and the other could have been caught (?) but was really more of bad placement by Allen in a throw to the flat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

C7582C57-C11F-4840-8F3B-923A240022DB.jpeg

On her IG, Hyde’s 9 month pregnant wife said any day could be the day, she is dilated and had some minor contractions yesterday morning - but they went to the game anyway. She’s a true Buffalonian now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6