Dolphins are the frontrunner on trade for Deshaun Watson

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The thing is as I have said all along the potential prize is so big - a top 5 or 6 Quarterback still in his mid 20s - that teams are willing to at least countenance taking the risk. I have said all along that teams would still be interested. 

Sure, teams are “interested,” but it’s going to take a favorable resolution of the claims for anyone to give away serious draft assets for him.  FWIW, I think there is a real chance Watson is never the same as a player…he’s become kind of a punchline and that’s going to be hard for him to overcome. I do hope Miami doesn’t get him though.

That just looks like one guy's opinions masquerading as coming from some "source".

An "8 year scout" wouldn't know all the thoughts and feelings of everyone in the nfl.  As well as nailing hypothetical trade compensations

Edited by May Day 10
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

That just looks like one guy's opinions masquerading as coming from some "source".

We have experience with "high end meetings" ourselves.

Also, Miami staff is high as a kite if they think that they are Super Bowl contenders at every position but QB

• Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

Should they do it?

I say no way do you pay that capital for a guy who will be suspended or possibly go to jail.

Do I want them to get hosed?

Oh yeah trade away all that draft stock and possibly get nothing in return.

Gitter Done ;)

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

I have nothing to verify the veracity of this, but from their page this morning comes this by poster MiaFins31 (relatively new to their board) - It's an interesting read, but a 3:03 AM conversation could be full of liquid induced imagination; nonetheless, it's entertaining:

Today at 4:03 AM

Ok so I talked to a good friend about an hour ago that is a scout for a team that was/is involved in the DW4 trade talks.. Take this for what it’s worth...

Miami absolutely wants DW4. Flo and Grier have never been sold on Tua. Stephen Ross made that call when we drafted him. I’ve been told this numerous times. Ross had wanted Tua ever since he threw the pass against Georgia to win the title. That was 100% Ross pulling rank on Flo/Grier. When the boss says you’re going to draft this guy then you do it if you want to keep your job. Ross has started to come around on what Flo/Grier an others in the FO have been telling him and that’s Tua is an average QB. Flo/Grier absolutely don’t believe he can beat Buffalo or KC. According to my guy Flo/Grier believe that Miami is the 3rd best team in the AFC right now but that’s our ceiling with Tua. Also other teams around the league believe Miami is ready to challenge for a Super Bowl RIGHT NOW at every other position. The key words being RIGHT NOW. Flo/Grier and others in the FO believe that adding DW4 is the missing piece to beating Buffalo and KC.

They want DW4 bad but here’s the hold up. Houston doesn’t want to budge off the 3 1s and 2 2s. However DW4 has informed Houston he will sign off on a trade to Miami or Carolina. That report is 100% true but Carolina isn’t willing to pay the price bc they believe if they pay it they become Houston East. A team with an elite QB and nothing else around him and no future to add with no premium picks. Miami is the only team left at the table and Miami WILL NOT give up 3 1s and 2 2s because we ain’t going to bid against only ourselves. We are willing to give 2 1s 2 2s and 3. However Houston believes these will be low picks bc they think SF is absolutely a playoff team now and in the future and obviously if we add DW4 they believe we are Super Bowl contenders this year. So for Houston they see what Miami wants to give as late 20s 1st rounders. However the belief is Houston will eventually budge in the coming days because they have no other options.

I was also told everybody in the league knows Houston screwed up horribly by not trading him when he first wanted out back in the spring. 5 teams would have been willing to pay what Houston wanted but they truly believed they could talk DW4 into staying with a fresh start but obviously that was never the case. They thought DW4 was bluffing about sitting out but as they’ve seen he wasn’t.

Now for the biggest piece of the puzzle.. the sexual allegations. The BELIEF around the league is that DW4 is innocent of everything except being stupid by putting himself in this situation. The NFL investigators BELIEVE this is nothing more than a money grab by ALL these women as they’ve talked to the ones that were willing to talk and the stories just made no sense. This is an exact quote... “Everybody around the league knows this is just a money grab... Why do you think he hasn’t been suspended or even put on the exempt list? All this bad PR an people really believe that the NFL is still gathering facts lol... DW4 wants to clear his name but most around the league are guessing he’ll end up writing a check and that’ll settle everything.”

Miami has also been clear that if/when this trade happens anything we give to Houston will absolutely have protections on it JUST IN CASE something unforseen were to happen. Houston has told Miami they would be ok with this. Again the hold up is the compensation itself.

I asked him what do you believe will happen. This is another exact quote... “Barring a breakdown at the last minute DeShaun Watson will be the starting QB for the Miami Dolphins at some point this season. Miami is expecting a 2-4 game suspension for DW4 from the NFL just for “optics” so Tua would be the insurance to get them through those few games until DW4 returns.”

Last I asked what is Tuas fate in all this.. “If this trade works out the way Miami wants Tua will be traded in the offseason”.

I asked what is Tuas value around the league.. “If Tua did have to step in for DW4 for 2-4 games an he plays well Miami could MAYBE get a late 1st in return but as of today his value is a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Everybody has seen the tapes on him and they know he lacks real arm strength and the “IT” factor... It’s no secret that Miami doesn’t believe in him so that hurts his value somewhat”

Everybody please take this for what it’s worth. Don’t get upset at me if it’s wrong or off base somewhat or whatever. This is what I was told by a guy I’ve known since we were kids and the guy is a 8 year scout in the league. For the record he was right on the money at draft time about Waddle and he also told me 2 weeks before the draft Justin Fields would land in Chicago. He’s been right much more often than he is wrong. Once again this is the NFL and things can happen in a split second that change everything. However I have no reason to doubt my guy.

DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER

Message board insiders….here’s a note from Peter King, one of the most well-connected journalists in the NFL:

• I would far, far, far rather risk losing out on Watson than trade for him now, with so much unknown, and with the future being dangerously murky. With all that being said, desperate teams do desperate things. I doubt anything happens with Watson, but then again I’m not inside the walls of the Dolphins, Eagles, Panthers or Broncos either.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Sure, teams are “interested,” but it’s going to take a favorable resolution of the claims for anyone to give away serious draft assets for him.  FWIW, I think there is a real chance Watson is never the same as a player…he’s become kind of a punchline and that’s going to be hard for him to overcome. I do hope Miami doesn’t get him though.

Maybe it will. It depends what kinda deal can be done. If Houston is willing to take 1 first rounder and one second rounder guaranteed with the other picks subject to conditions that essentially mean if he serves jail time the trading team is off the hook... then maybe he is worth that gamble. 

Think you are right on the risk it affects his play. It goes one of two ways... some people can take motivation from the hate others crumble.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The thing is as I have said all along the potential prize is so big - a top 5 or 6 Quarterback still in his mid 20s - that teams are willing to at least countenance taking the risk. I have said all along that teams would still be interested. 

I think so too. I believe some teams will take that risk obviously due to reasons you stated. Even if he does happen to get suspended and miss some time, or even misses a whole season. A team I think will still take the risk knowing they have a top QB for the following season and so forth

CS, I’ll take you at you’re word as you’ve always seemed to be a fair minded guy.  I just don’t know how well informed you’re scout is on the inner workings of Miami and Houston. Everything you wrote may be true.

I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion Miami’s getting DW, but it’s possible.  It’s also not assumed he is innocent and a $ grab.  Who the heck goes to 20+ different massage therapists.  That is highly abnormal for a professional athlete and a regular Joe.  For people that believe in this therapy, they normally lock into 1-2 people.  

A solid correlation is of you believe

in chiro, you normally lock into one person because you trust the person.

Just now, nucci said:

DW4? 

I don’t get the 4 either.

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

I agree about Tua being average.  But with that many accusers, it's not just a money grab.  

Agree on both counts. Having said that I would not be surprised if there is a factual foundation to the Fins poster’s account. It sort of holds together for me but then maybe I’m just being gullible. 

On 8/28/2021 at 3:11 PM, Buffalo619 said:

Your joke rests on the basis that it's funny for men to physically overpower women. That's a serious crime, and the repercussions of living through a sexual assault can last for the rest of a victim's life. 

I suggest editing it out. 

Lighten up Francis

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Agree on both counts. Having said that I would not be surprised if there is a factual foundation to the Fins poster’s account. It sort of holds together for me but then maybe I’m just being gullible. 

I think there's some truth in it, i.e. Ross wanting Tua and Tua them all (finally) realizing Tua is average.  But claiming that dozens of women coming forward like that is bogus sounds like rumor.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I guarantee Watson is playing again… probably not this year but next year I wouldn’t at all be surprised. 

Why?  There’s a good chance his civil case isn’t resolved in 2021.  Then there’s pending criminal charges and possible RICO charges.  Even in the best case scenario and everything is settled, he still faces punishment from the NFL and there’s a chance he doesn’t play until 2023.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I think there's some truth in it, i.e. Ross wanting Tua and Tua them all (finally) realizing Tua is average.  But claiming that dozens of women coming forward like that is bogus sounds like rumor.

Regarding the repeat offender aspect I confess that I probably haven’t paid enuf attention to the details of all of the allegations that have been made concerning Watson’s behavior but TBH some of this doesn’t really make sense to me. I tend to doubt that Watson aggressively forced a therapist to perform oral sex on him, I mean could she not simply refuse? And as others have mentioned enthusiasts of this kind of therapy usually are on the same page with the service providers with whom they have a business relationship in effect. Some of the narrative just seems weird. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

30 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think there is a lot of “recapping” what is pretty well known, but where the narrative falls apart for me is that his friend is a “scout” and worked on trades.

Most scouts spend almost no time in the organization’s headquarters during the summer months and very little time working on trades.  That to me is just a cop out way to make it sound like insider info.

Then to say this is the same scout that told him Fields was going to Chicago - is this a Dolphins scout or a Bears scout.  Where did that info come from - again sounds to me like something you say to try and sound credible - he has given me info before, but is complete BS because a Dolphins scout would have little inside info on the Bears draft - that would be a huge disadvantage to teams if even scouts knew exactly who the teams in a alternate conference were taking.

The final kicker to me is the “info” about Carolina and the quote about becoming Houston of the NFC - why would a Dolphins scout have that kind of info - especially at this time as they are just getting back out to scout college games.  It again seems to me like it is just an added fact to sound plausible - like he has some info because the statement seems consistent with what we would think, but would make no sense for an organization to even be thinking.

Overall this reads like a Incarcerated Bob type post.  I have limited info that has come out and I can piece it together and sound like an insider and if it doesn’t happen - you just say well they must have decided risk was greater than reward - He never said it was 100% or something and you still sound like you knew something.

• Agree 1