Sports Illustrated: Bills Biggest Weakness, Defensive Tackle

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: This was a toss-up for me, a process made no easier given that any person or position named in this space would immediately draw the ire of Bills Mafia. And it makes sense; this is as complete a team as we’ll see in the NFL this year. Linebacker was another option. Either is going to sound nitpicky, but remember that this is a weakness relative to the rest of the team and not necessarily the league. A pairing of Ed Oliver and Star Lotulelei sounds good on paper, and Oliver was actually one of Buffalo’s best defensive players in terms of net yards over average last season, behind only Matt Milano. That said, the unit lacks some punch, finishing 26th in yards per attempt surrendered by opposing running backs (Lotulelei opted out of the 2020 season, and in ’19 the unit was eight spots better in the same category). Buffalo did a majority of its work this offseason on the pass rush, which may have been a way of compensating for a threadbare defensive tackle class in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

I'd have to agree here, our goes are going to try to run right up the gut on us and it's up to those guys to stop it.

It ain't gonna be all sunshine and roses.

The plan is going to be to try to keep Alan off the field as much as possible.

I hope we look at it as an exciting challenge.

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Defensive Tackle, Tight End, Linebacker, Cornerback. 

Linebaker does not belong on that list.  We play 2 90% Milano and Edmunds are as good as any.  Klien is a suitable backup.  I think Dodson and Smith have upside.  Idk what the expectations for the position would be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Outside of Tre, it has to be CB. Taron Johnson has a knack for making some plays in the slot, but we've seen him get dinged up and miss some time as well. I really thought Dane would step up and lock down the #2 CB spot, but it looks like Levi again. Our depth is not so great at the position either. Just my 2. 

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

This is going to sound utterly insane, but losing Tre White could be almost as devastating as losing Josh Allen. :ph34r:

Hopefully that's not true with a much improved pass rush. A good pass rush can mask a poor secondary, to a certain extent, of course.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Hopefully that's not true with a much improved pass rush. A good pass rush can mask a poor secondary, to a certain extent, of course.

Yeah, that is exactly the only thing I could think of that could bail us out if Levi Wallace is suddenly our #1 corner.

• Shocked 1