Shaq Lawson on trade block (update - traded to Jets)

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Interesting to note that the reporter said he “struggled” in the preseason.  My guess is that he’s underperformed since leaving Buffalo.  There has to be a reason why Miami signed him to a big deal and traded him for little return one season later.

Now Houston traded him for less in return after a months.  

13 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Me too. Lawson is serviceable. For a 6th rounder pick? If I was the Jets I would do that deal 

Covers the loss of DE Carl Lawson for the year there and they were somewhat screwed at the position currently. If Shaq shows up you basically landed a starter for a 6th rd pick which any club would do that is desperate for DE help this year. This is basically another contract year for Shaq as well whom will work with a solid D Head Coach.

Lastly, he knows the Bills and Miami pretty well now. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

6th round pick… life comes at you fast

The Jets would have been better off sending that pick to Jacksonville 2 days earlier for Minshew.  When a team has 2 guys as backups who have never played & the only player to play in the NFL, UFL, AAF, & XFL -traveling man (and ex-Bill among many stops) Josh Johnson, they could have used Minshew as their primary backup.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Jets lost the two guys they signed to start at end for the season - Carl Lawson and Vinny Curry. They have a desperate need at the position. Their other guys are all very inexperienced. They have Zuniga and Huff (albeit Huff a bit of a tweener in Saleh's scheme) who are second year players and a former 49ers backup who has about 4 career starts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Covers the loss of DE Carl Lawson for the year there and they were somewhat screwed at the position currently. If Shaq shows up you basically landed a starter for a 6th rd pick which any club would do that is desperate for DE help this year. This is basically another contract year for Shaq as well whom will work with a solid D Head Coach.

He doesn't know THESE Bills.

Once again Bills showing they get the best out of their players in this defense. He hasn’t been able to do anything since leaving. And now we get to exploit him for 2 games this year again. 

21 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Seems we know Salahs defense pretty well (with better players than Jets) 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401220357

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/28/2021 at 11:58 AM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I wonder if that 19 season was because he was due a new contract and not so much him finally understanding McD’s defensive scheme. Kind of funny that him and Philips chased the money and have had no success since leaving Buffalo

That was the viewpoint of some here - that he was working his butt off to "get paid" and 2020 Lawson wouldn't have been the same guy as 2019 Lawson.

But we don't get to rewind and find out

26 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

He does not cover the loss of Carl Lawson.  Shaq was average in Buffalo with a great defensive coach.  He was a failure in Miami with a head coach that had a top defense.  Shaq found no opportunity to rush the passer - he is basically a contain DE - not something NYJ needs.

In the end to me - Shaq is a below average DE that will play, but he isn’t a guy I would worry about.  He is a guy I would attack.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Houston picking up a 6th rd pick for a guy they were cutting is impressive. 

I think the Jets badly need help at DE with all their injuries, and if they can trade and assure themselves that they get that help vs. waiting and rummaging through the cutout bin, it's a good use of a late round pick and a Win for both sides.

On 8/28/2021 at 1:42 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Yeah he was hurt but when he came back he didn’t do much. 

Possible Phillips was still impacted by injury.

Or possible he'd just much rather be playing golf.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the Jets badly need help at DE with all their injuries, and if they can trade and assure themselves that they get that help vs. waiting and rummaging through the cutout bin, it's a good use of a late round pick and a Win for both sides.

I have just said it in the shoutbox but their most "experienced" defensive end in terms of starts pre bringing Shaq in is 2nd year 3rd rounder out of Florida Jabril Zuniga with 8. They are desperate. 

Shaq probably becomes the 4th most proven player on that Jets starting D. They are in trouble. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

He does not cover the loss of Carl Lawson.  Shaq was average in Buffalo with a great defensive coach.  He was a failure in Miami with a head coach that had a top defense.  Shaq found no opportunity to rush the passer - he is basically a contain DE - not something NYJ needs.

In the end to me - Shaq is a below average DE that will play, but he isn’t a guy I would worry about.  He is a guy I would attack.

Dude they are desperate on the line. You could do a lot worse by doing nothing than giving up a 6th rd pick for a former 1st rd pick. Lawson played just as average in Miami last year as he did in his Bills career here. The Jets did fine here considering their circumstances. 

• Like (+1) 1