Shaq Lawson on trade block (update - traded to Jets)

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Other than the money, I assume Roberts figured he’d get a lot more opportunities returning kickoffs with Houston?

That could be absolutely exhausting!!! 

Rarely does “run him ‘till he pukes” apply to kickoff returners!

15 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Let's say you can sign Roberts for whatever his vet minimum is and lets say we can afford it. Do you do it?

I wouldn't mind giving a late round pick up for him to ensure we get him.  He's a superb kickoff and punt returner which is a rarity in the league nowadays.  We could easily trade a late round pick for him and absorb his salary (2.5 million dollar cap hit).  If not I'll be holding my breath every time McKenzie or whoever is returning punts is about to field it.

I was comfortable moving on from Roberts when we thought Mackenzie has his dropsies under control. But seeing as how it’s part of his game, I’d be okay with a 6th or 7th rounder to lose the TD return possibilities but to gain the ball security smarter decision making. When it comes down to it, Allen and company are what gets points, not returns. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good thing he got paid by Miami. I never thought he was that bad. Maybe not a good scheme fit? Where’s Rex when you need him 

Personally, I didn’t care for him. Never lived up to his Draft status and his best year was his contract year. Hasn’t returned to that form and is too much of a I-Me-Mine kinda guy for my liking.

I don’t wish ill will, just don’t want him back here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He may just not want to be there tbh. Houston might be 0-17 this year. Gotta be tough to go from a team on the rise (with Buffalo a couple years ago) to that situation unless all you really care about is $$$. He obviously chased the $$$ going to Miami though so who knows. I thought he was solid for us, especially that last season. He should be able to carve out a role somewhere. 

36 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Is that official team released?  Amazing if true.  They paid him a bunch of guaranteed money.

I thought the same.  Looks like he has been injured a lot during camp and hasn't played in any Preseason games.

Here is the CBS stuff @Simon talked about.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1687529/andre-roberts

19 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

So has Lawson got that much worse or are the Texans a dumpster fire who can't evaluate players?

More like Houston had a need when JJ left and a LB they didn’t want and switched late round picks.

Miami had paid some signing bonus and he has an out after this year.

Of course - the Texans still are a dumpster fire anyway.

54 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I posted this on another thread a month or so ago - the data to me doesn't seem to justify how Roberts provides value for a spot on the roster.

"This data is from last October, but I have always been a bit skeptical of Andre Roberts .. he takes them out all the time and on average we were one of the better teams re: starting field position.. but by just a little bit ( a yard or two). I also think that Josh like most QBs struggle more when backed up .. I would be fine if Mackenzie took a knee every time .. and he has the added advantage of being a real WR.

https://thecommutesports.com/2020/10/27/nfl-starting-field-position/

The chart is pretty interesting so I would recommend taking a look".

You present an interesting point, especially since the kick return aspects of ST's have been neutered over the past 5 years or so. I just thought it may be an option considering McKenzie's injury and skepticism over our other options. 

17 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Screw Lawson.  The dude chased the money instead of staying with a winner and the team that made him.  I get wanting the best money but there can be middle ground.  He was never that good anyways.  

Really? Are you telling me you wouldn't have struck while the iron was hot? C'mon man. Buffalo wasn't coming anywhere near 10 mil per. Don't blame him or Phillips at all. NFL life is short.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Agree 1