Two areas in downtown were strongly considered for new stadium

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/news/2021/08/27/mayor-brown--2-downtown-locations-were--seriously-considered--for-new-bills-stadium 

Brown also advised there’s a reason the new stadium will remain in OP. But I do wonder if a downtown stadium is still in the cards?

I'd welcome a downtown stadium but it have to replace Sahlem Field and/or whatever HSBC Arena is called now. 

3 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Cost prohibitive downtown? No way! I read on hear all they would have to do is tear down the skyway and build a bunch of roads and stuff. Easy peasy! 

Don't forget extending the subway! The subway was such a good investment the 1st time who wouldn't want to do it all over again!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Don't forget extending the subway! The subway was such a good investment the 1st time who wouldn't want to do it all over again!

And let's not forget the need for a "Signature Peace Bridge" ...any ordinary bridge won't do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Logistics aside, a vision of downtown Buffalo with a modern NFL stadium has a certain appeal. 

Why? So it can be like Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Nashville, Etc? Been to lots of downtown stadiums and they’re fun for a day but there are very few places (if any) like OP for a game day experience. People I’ve brought with me that have only known “downtown” stadiums are always blown away and jealous we get to do it 8 (or 9) times per year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Why? So it can be like Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Nashville, Etc? Been to lots of downtown stadiums and they’re fun for a day but there are very few places (if any) like OP for a game day experience. People I’ve brought with me that have only known “downtown” stadiums are always blown away and jealous we get to do it 8 (or 9) times per year. 

I actually agree, I should have specified that I was speaking about aesthetics. I think a downtown stadium would add a lot, visually, to the city. But it would reduce the uniqueness of our game-day experience. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I've mentioned this many times before. I'm a practicing Architect and I work on large public facilities. In the hands of a talented Design Team either location can bring the amenities you seek.  The goal of a custom design is to play up the strengths of the location, traditions, etc.  Would a downtown Buffalo location be a different game day experience than out in Orchard Park?  Of course it would.  But imagine if it became the nation's largest street fair eight or nine times a year!  How cool would that be? (That being said....the downtown site would almost certainly be far more expensive then building a new stadium next to "Rich" Stadium.)

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I've mentioned this many times before. I'm a practicing Architect and I work on large public facilities. In the hands of a talented Design Team either location can bring the amenities you seek.  The goal of a custom design is to play up the strengths of the location, traditions, etc.  Would a downtown Buffalo location be a different game day experience than out in Orchard Park?  Of course it would.  But imagine if it became the nation's largest street fair eight or nine times a year!  How cool would that be? (That being said....the downtown site would almost certainly be far more expensive then building a new stadium next to "Rich" Stadium.)

I get what you’re saying but I just don’t see it. People from WNY (I’m one of em) are kinda set in their ways and reluctant to major changes. A new stadium on the old site with modest price increases I think people would accept. I just don’t think the economics work in Buffalo for some kind of big downtown extravaganza where food & booze are super pricey, tailgating is limited, etc. It’s not our vibe, let someone else have it. Not to mention, I still haven’t ever really seen a viable solution to the traffic nightmare it would be. Sabres games suck for that and we’re talking what 1/4 of the cars? Anyone that thinks it’s bad at the stadium now would be in the looney bin if it was downtown. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I get what you’re saying but I just don’t see it. People from WNY (I’m one of em) are kinda set in their ways and reluctant to major changes. A new stadium on the old site with modest price increases I think people would accept. I just don’t think the economics work in Buffalo for some kind of big downtown extravaganza where food & booze are super pricey, tailgating is limited, etc. It’s not our vibe, let someone else have it. Not to mention, I still haven’t ever really seen a viable solution to the traffic nightmare it would be. Sabres games suck for that and we’re talking what 1/4 of the cars? Anyone that thinks it’s bad at the stadium now would be in the looney bin if it was downtown. 

I'm not sure you're hearing me. I don't think the City can afford a downtown stadium.  I'm just saying that no matter where they put the stadium the designers need to understand the location and traditions that surround Bills football.  Think about it....tailgating was not a 'thing' at the Rockpile.  That only arose when they moved to Orchard Park (I'm old!).  I'm hoping that the new OP Stadium will not be some generic cookie cutter facility....like the current stadium pretty much was.  I'd love it to be more contextual and support the experience.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You have a good imagination.  Odds are more likely it would just be another downtown stadium,  the majority of them are largely forgetful and grossly under utilized.   Buffalo is NOT a tourist destination.

Architects I have meet always have grandiose plans and dreams.

Be thankful/grateful we MIGHT get a new stadium in OP.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

59 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I actually agree, I should have specified that I was speaking about aesthetics. I think a downtown stadium would add a lot, visually, to the city. But it would reduce the uniqueness of our game-day experience. 

The City of Buffalo has some of the best architecture you'll find in the country 

Art deco, Gothic, Châteauesque, victorian, it's influenced the world in the 20th century 

The city visually has alot going for it with its beautiful architecture already.. I think a modern $2 billion dollar Palace downtown would actually stick out like a sore thumb

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Downtown stadiums are great for baseball and terrible for football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The City of Buffalo has some of the best architecture you'll find in the country 

Art deco, Gothic, Châteauesque, victorian, it's influenced the world in the 20th century 

The city visually has alot going for it with its beautiful architecture already.. I think a modern $2 billion dollar Palace downtown would actually stick out like a sore thumb

A great point. 

52 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm not sure you're hearing me. I don't think the City can afford a downtown stadium.  I'm just saying that no matter where they put the stadium the designers need to understand the location and traditions that surround Bills football.  Think about it....tailgating was not a 'thing' at the Rockpile.  That only arose when they moved to Orchard Park (I'm old!).  I'm hoping that the new OP Stadium will not be some generic cookie cutter facility....like the current stadium pretty much was.  I'd love it to be more contextual and support the experience.

No I hear you, I just disagree. I feel like it probably will end up a newer, lightly spruced up version of the current generic type facility. But I think that’s probably what the majority of people want. Could there be all kinds of other pre game shiny stuff outside and around the stadium? Of course. I just think that after the initial honeymoon period, everyone goes back to their weekly routine. Same lot, same group, etc. I’d be in that camp. If I want to go to a festival or a street fair I will, I’m there for a football game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1