Wow...NFL attempting to make vaccines mandatory for NFL players now...NFLPA not with it

Big Turk

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Dawkins should be the first person the NFLPA asks about this

Why. In the article it even mentions how Beasley and McKenzie had close

contact w a vaccinated person who contracted Covid. Lol unreal how dumb our population is, you believe everything you’re told by people you know nothing about. But but the scientists say … researchers concluded … the cdc (a private company) advised .. wake up this has nothing to do with a ‘virus’

20 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Why would they be under fire? A very, very high percentage of their players have been vaccinated. The NFLPA has something like 3000 members just because a few players, like Beasley or Cousins, have big mouths or disagree with the policy doesn't mean they should change what that policy is. The vast majority, based on vaccination numbers, were ok with that policy otherwise there's no way NFLPA leadership would have signed off on it. They wouldn't just go to the NFL with a policy that the majority of it's members don't agree with.

Yes, the Beasleys of the world are screaming the loudest. That doesn't mean they represent the thoughts of the majority.

I did not say they necessarily are under fire. I posed the question.  The fact that many players are vaccinated doesn't mean they favor the protocols or even wanted the vax; many probably got vaccinated because they didn't feel like they had a viable choice, and many who are vaccinated may nonetheless believe the protocols are silly and counterproductive.  

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Why would they be under fire? A very, very high percentage of their players have been vaccinated. The NFLPA has something like 3000 members just because a few players, like Beasley or Cousins, have big mouths or disagree with the policy doesn't mean they should change what that policy is. The vast majority, based on vaccination numbers, were ok with that policy otherwise there's no way NFLPA leadership would have signed off on it. They wouldn't just go to the NFL with a policy that the majority of it's members don't agree with.

Yes, the Beasleys of the world are screaming the loudest. That doesn't mean they represent the thoughts of the majority.

We're not talking about changine the policy, right?  We're talking about imposing a new policy.

A player being vaccinated himself, and a player being willing to sign off on a mandate that all players should be vaccinated or retire/be terminated are two different things.

Someone elsewhere asked why the mandate wouldn't work.  Think about how far into the season the timeline for being considered fully vaccinated would take us.  Then add in weeks for discussion/debate before hypothetical NFLPA approval.  Then add in weeks for a possible court challenge, since a number of states have enacted laws that prohibit mandates, including in places that receive state monies (like some stadiums?). 

So even if vaccinating every player is actually an effective strategy for completing a season (which I personally question) we'd be halfway through the season by then.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I did not say they necessarily are under fire. I posed the question.  The fact that many players are vaccinated doesn't mean they favor the protocols or even wanted the vax; many probably got vaccinated because they didn't feel like they had a viable choice, and many who are vaccinated may nonetheless believe the protocols are silly and counterproductive.  

Or at least, many players, including those who are vaccinated, may sincerely believe that vaccination should be a personal choice.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

And he was vaccinated...

No he wasn't. Almost but not effective.  Dawkins also stated he wished he were fully vaxxed and was glad he was partly vaxxed as it would have been better for him.  He did not have any regrets for the vax only that he supported it.  So yes, the NFLPA should call him. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

No he wasn't. Almost but not effective.  Dawkins also stated he wished he were fully vaxxed and was glad he was partly vaxxed as it would have been better for him.  He did not have any regrets for the vax only that he supported it.  So yes, the NFLPA should call him. 

IIRC, he had had both shots and was a day or so shy of two weeks post vax when he caught it.  Doesn't seem like a great spokesperson for the vax.  

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We're not talking about changine the policy, right?  We're talking about imposing a new policy.

A player being vaccinated himself, and a player being willing to sign off on a mandate that all players should be vaccinated or retire/be terminated are two different things.

Someone elsewhere asked why the mandate wouldn't work.  Think about how far into the season the timeline for being considered fully vaccinated would take us.  Then add in weeks for discussion/debate before hypothetical NFLPA approval.  Then add in weeks for a possible court challenge, since a number of states have enacted laws that prohibit mandates, including in places that receive state monies (like some stadiums?). 

So even if vaccinating every player is actually an effective strategy for completing a season (which I personally question) we'd be halfway through the season by then.

Oh no, talking about current policy. Not changing it. It was in response to the comment about the NFLPA leadership being under fire, which I don't think they are. I think the vast majority of players were more than happy to sign off on the current policy. 

The mandate of the vaccine would be an entirely different topic. It's possible it could have gotten signed off early on but not at this point, I don't think.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The part about "based entirely on perception" is probably incorrect as is the "NFL only wants cover from blame" bit.

I think there's reasonable evidence to believe the NFL's policies were based on the science available at the time they were drawing them up last Spring, but have been slow to adjust to the changing reality on the ground this Summer.  I put up some refs and calculations over in the facts thread if you want to understand what I mean.

I mean, c'mon, the NFL's chief medical officer is a very sharp guy, a neurosurgeon from Vanderbuilt, and they brought in a lot of good talent as consultants.  These are not guys with peanut-size egos (how many neurosurgeons does it take to change a light bulb?) who would sit quietly and lend their names while their science-based proposals were shunted aside by NFL bureaucrats.  Their principal incomes are elsewhere.

This is probably the smartest post I've seen in this dicussion.

People keep trying to pin blame based on medical professionals old (previous) comments. Science, knowledge, it evolves quickly in a scenario like this. Who cares what fauci or NFL medical people thought a year ago? They are studied and constantly up to speed, whereas the "internet" experts are fed by news trolls.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Oh no, talking about current policy. Not changing it. It was in response to the comment about the NFLPA leadership being under fire, which I don't think they are. I think the vast majority of players were more than happy to sign off on the current policy. 

The mandate of the vaccine would be an entirely different topic. It's possible it could have gotten signed off early on but not at this point, I don't think.

What makes you think that?