Wow...NFL attempting to make vaccines mandatory for NFL players now...NFLPA not with it

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...NFL attempting to make vaccines mandatory for NFL players now...NFLPA not with it

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-nfl-proposes-making-covid-043214385.html

"Attempting" is a bit overstating it. What they did was propose it, apparently at the beginning of talks involving back and forth proposals.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I hate all this. Can we just get to REAL games, please?? I don't need stress seeping into my weekly 3-hour escape from life with my beloved Bills.

Ha!  My life is stress-free except for those three hours the Bills are playing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Don, I’m normally with you and you know that one.  It’s just recently one is fully approved.  We’ll see what happens.  The other vacc mandated to let you’re kids get into every public and private school in America are well studied.  

Heck the first small pox vacc was in the late 1700’s.  Anyway, I’m hopeful keeping to football that some of the 20% or so meaning once at 53, the 10 people maybe half of them change their mind.

I hate to say this but the peer leaders need to be overt in their comments.  That basically means no matter how much I love Allen, he needs to come out and say guys I respect you’re decision, but guys Om vacc. And I hope all of you do the same.  We’re

playing for a SB.

Yesterday on one of the radio outlets made the remark KC has been very overt on this matter.  I don’t think Bease or Poyer should be singled out as they’ve already been so outward (Poyer wife), but quietly no media just tell the Indic. To get it done.

I just want our best players out there.  Not a epidemiologic comment.  That’s for the COVID board.

I think there are 16 unvaccinated players (0.2 x 80) and it's a pretty strong guess, given what agents etc have been saying publicly, most of them are vets who feel secure of a roster spots and have made their money.

That would mean (53-16)/53 or 70% vaccinated after cutdowns to the 53

It's a pretty sure bet that Mahomes publicly announcing he was vaccinated to protect his baby early on has a big impact on KC's vaccination rate, and Fitzpatrick being both vaccinated and everyone in his family including kids vaccinated and sitting and talking to anyone about it, had a big impact on WFT turning itself around from least-vaxxed to one of the most vaxxed.

I just don't think we have anyone similar on the Bills who is a respected leader on the team and fully supports vaccination, but the truth is neither of us know what's going on inside the locker room.

I don't think the mandatory vaccination thing will fly with the NFLPA.   I think if they do push it through their membership will revolt.  Just my opinion, for which in this instance I totally and openly admit I have no factual evidence.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

To be fair, the context behind it was that hesitancy about the vaccine has remained static among PhDs, and has over time come to be proportionally out oh whack, as lower education subsets (which previously had the most hesitancy proportionally) have seen hesitancy reduced (although still one of the highest levels). 

The obvious critique here is that the populations that these categories generalize are hugely different in size. 

I don't think the data were supporting a side or argument that you think it was, if I'm reading your first post correctly. I don't see an "agenda" driven deletion here.

I would agree with the bolded, and at the same time comparing doctors to high school grads, is always going to be very disproportionate in size.

My biggest thing is why delete it at all without giving it a chance to play out, or let poster update with the study? Seems like anything carrying even the optics of that side of the argument are deleted.  

Full disclosure, im not anti vaxx, i got the jab, but i can certainly see many reasons for people to be skeptical about what players would or wouldnt want to put in their body.  I think its reasonable to atleast let the Beasleys of the world explain they arent just monsters, or going against the current, he has obvious beliefs and skepticism about what is best for his body and family.  If those views are censored, it doesnt allow the other side to respond, or understand what concerns need to be addressed.  Like anything i think a fair, open dialogue is important for the country to be able to empathize with the other side, and provide well thought out rebuttals.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Daily testing would be a more effective tool to protecting the season. If anyone wonders if the NFL's policies are based entirely on perception, this hollow attempt should verify this. Assuming this passes (which it won't), according to current regs, you would have everyone walking around with no social distancing inside without masks, getting tested bi-weekly and being allowed to interact with people outside of the team "bubble." With this situation you could have a single breakthrough case walking around spreading the virus for 2 weeks and no one would be the wiser. Again, my issue with these policies is that they are based on perception, not prevention. Truly preventative policies in this situation are inconvenient. The Bucs went beyond the league's policies and banned players from leaving their hotel on road trips because it's obvious that the NFL only wants cover from blame and not to actually protect players. 

What I bolded is probably correct.

The part about "based entirely on perception" is probably incorrect as is the "NFL only wants cover from blame" bit.

I think there's reasonable evidence to believe the NFL's policies were based on the science available at the time they were drawing them up last Spring, but have been slow to adjust to the changing reality on the ground this Summer.  I put up some refs and calculations over in the facts thread if you want to understand what I mean.

I mean, c'mon, the NFL's chief medical officer is a very sharp guy, a neurosurgeon from Vanderbuilt, and they brought in a lot of good talent as consultants.  These are not guys with peanut-size egos (how many neurosurgeons does it take to change a light bulb?) who would sit quietly and lend their names while their science-based proposals were shunted aside by NFL bureaucrats.  Their principal incomes are elsewhere.

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

My biggest thing is why delete it at all without giving it a chance to play out, or let poster update with the study? Seems like anything carrying even the optics of that side of the argument are deleted. 

Dude, this is the policy of the board.  Go reread @SDS pinned post. 

The reason for the policy is that when we "gave it a chance to play out" and had everyone putting up studies and arguing what is or isn't a "fact" about covid (and politics) this board had become a politics and covid board and football convo was getting overwhelmed with other crap.  There are gazillions of places on the Interwebs for that. 

And you can see this happening here, one guy does it and a bunch of folks WHO DAMMITALL KNOW BETTER jump in.

If you don't agree with the policy and appreciate the ability to mostly talk football here, maybe one of those other places would suit you best.  Just sayin'.

I haven't even finished my 2nd cup of coffee and I'm deleting and warning by the handful.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean it's NFL news, it's pertinent to the Bills, if they don't want to allow this topic on here then I really need to start thinking about finding a new message board to get away from the overzealousness.

Getting way way over moderated here on some things.

I may be turning into a cold-hearted bahstahd but my reaction to this is "don't let the door hitcha where the good Lord splitcha".

We didn't just wake up and set the policy because we were hungover and crabby and said "YEAH!  Let's make more work for ourselves as mods and subject ourselves to all sorts of criticism and abuse!  GREAT IDEA!"  We set it because one mod returned from vacation and held up a mirror to how the board had changed while he was gone, and we all agreed we had a problem, then Scott (the board owner) made a decision and put up the pinned post about it.

This is wearing my last nerve, you guys who think you are entitled to debate board policy and post whatever the ***** you want.  You have @Simon -ized me and any non-football general crap below this post is gonna get a week long ban.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, this is the policy of the board.  Go reread @SDS pinned post. 

The reason is that when we "gave it a chance to play out" and had everyone putting up studies and arguing what is or isn't a "fact" about covid (and politics) this board had become a politics and covid board and football convo was getting overwhelmed with other crap.  There are gazillions of places on the Interwebs for that.

If you don't agree with the policy and appreciate the ability to mostly talk football here, maybe one of those other places would suit you best.  Just sayin'.

I haven't even finished my 2nd cup of coffee and I'm deleting and warning by the handful.

This is wearing my last nerve, you guys who think you are entitled to debate board policy and post whatever the ***** you want.  You have @Simon -ized me and any non-football general crap below this post is gonna get a week long ban.

Interesting.

A lot of these rabid posters are screaming "just follow the rules as they are stated" regarding NFL protocol/rules etc and yet at the same time can't even apply that to their own behavior in the TBD message board.  It is real simple, follow the rules.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think there are 16 unvaccinated players (0.2 x 80) and it's a pretty strong guess, given what agents etc have been saying publicly, most of them are vets who feel secure of a roster spots and have made their money.

That would mean (53-16)/53 or 70% vaccinated after cutdowns to the 53

It's a pretty sure bet that Mahomes publicly announcing he was vaccinated to protect his baby early on has a big impact on KC's vaccination rate, and Fitzpatrick being both vaccinated and everyone in his family including kids vaccinated and sitting and talking to anyone about it, had a big impact on WFT turning itself around from least-vaxxed to one of the most vaxxed.

I just don't think we have anyone similar on the Bills who is a respected leader on the team and fully supports vaccination, but the truth is neither of us know what's going on inside the locker room.

I don't think the mandatory vaccination thing will fly with the NFLPA.   I think if they do push it through their membership will revolt.  Just my opinion, for which in this instance I totally and openly admit I have no factual evidence.

How does it make sense to not count practice squad players as part of percentage?  

These players are not like bubble boy Fromm who barely interact with team - they are in meetings and on field.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

How does it make sense to not count practice squad players as part of percentage?  

These players are not like bubble boy Fromm who barely interact with team - they are in meetings and on field.

That's a valid point, and maybe the NFL will

My perspective is looking at potential impacts of the Bills season - which depends largely on the 53 man roster.

It will be interesting to see how this goes, because typically the NFLPA doesn’t have a ton of power. This issue is obviously very unique, but you know the owners want what’s best for the bottom line. I don’t want to dive any deeper into this, but whatever transpires will be interesting. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Agree 1