Interesting... Kaepernick was not the first athlete to not stand during the anthem

Big Turk

2 hours ago, dorquemada said:

there was a ton of backlash in 2010 over this.  Road Rage Radio was nonstop for weeks about it.  we weren't yet in the twitterverse for instant outrage generation though, and the MSM was at least ostensibly focused still on hard news.  you might say it was a different age

The media was focused on BS back in 2010 as they are now. The advent of 24 hour news is what created a hyper focus on issues that don’t matter (with few exceptions there isn’t 24 hours worth of news in a day) I digress that even in 1996 the news cycle made the NBA player refusing to stand for the anthem a big story.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Just read that in 2010 NBA basketball player Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf refused to stand for the National Anthem for much the same reasons as Kaepernick. He ended up reaching an agreement with the NBA that he would stand and look down, with his hands over his face at times, praying.

Not sure why he didn't get the backlash Kaep did when he started doing it 6 years later.

FYI that Abdul-Rauf story happened in 1996 not 2010 and it was a fairly big deal at the time.

45 minutes ago, Rico said:

I was a kid back then, but I’ve never had any problem with them. Big difference between 1968 and the 21st century.

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

1968 is where it all began.

16Widmer-superJumbo.jpg

Difference between representing American ideals, vs disrespecting American ideals.

THe whole country was proud of those athletes embarrassing Hitler

th?id=OIP._LWCGPvtw2rxhwFM6LhHEQHaE8%26p

Edited by unbillievable

9 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Difference between representing American ideals, vs disrespecting American ideals.

THe whole country was proud of those athletes embarrassing Hitler

Kindly explain the difference to me like I'm five.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Just read that in 2010 NBA basketball player Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf refused to stand for the National Anthem for much the same reasons as Kaepernick. He ended up reaching an agreement with the NBA that he would stand and look down, with his hands over his face at times, praying.

Not sure why he didn't get the backlash Kaep did when he started doing it 6 years later.

NPR has a podcast called "Throughline" that talks about this.  The episode is "On the Shoulders of Giants."  It talks about 3 athletes who were essentially precursors to Kaep.  The first was the boxer Jack Johnson in the early 1900s.  The 2nd was a black femail sprinter in the 1960s.  And the 3rd was Abdul-Rauf in the 90s.

It's an interesting listen if you have time.  I really enjoy listening to that particular podcast as a whole just because of the way it presents interesting parts of history through stories.

But no... Kaep wasn't the first.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Athletes protesting isn't new.

It's what they are protesting that has changed.

Tim_Tebow_Tebowing-680x1024.jpg&f=1&nofb

That's not a protest.  That is a LAMP (look at me "pray").

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Are you some young whipper snapper?  😀 This was Pretty big news back in the day! 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

You want to know why?

Who's Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf?

36 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That's not a protest.  That is a LAMP (look at me "pray").

You do know that he was not the only player to do this.

In fact many players do this today.

OP: I love your posts brother, and I'm not looking for a back-forth argument. Honestly, I respect what you have to say.

I'll just note this: many of us in this forum have been down-range (me, 16 tours in 20+ yrs, incl IZ and AFG...and btw I don't want or need any recognition for same).

Ultimately, our purpose was to protect the continuation of fundamental rights, such as freedom of expression, precisely as it relates to this thread.

My point: choosing today to bring this subject up--after the sacrifice of so many just 24+ hours ago--is, well, a little disjointed, timing wise. 

I'll just say carry on, you have the uncontested right.

But please keep in your hearts and minds our brothers and sisters--in harm's way, lives on the line at this very moment--who are literally the last chance of freedom for many souls.

Respectfully, DSK

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yes.  That's the real reason.  Well, that and him just not knowing his place.  He is so selfish!

Real reason or not, that's the time line. This basketball player I'm not familiar didnt use a press conference after a Heat game to discuss the good things Fidel Castro had done. 

48 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Then he reached out to some military vets who advised him kneeling in protest was more respectful than sitting on the bench

With due respect, I'm not sure this is precisely correct. A vet perhaps, singular.

Otherwise, there is not a single service member who is not aware of the Battle Cross ceremony, or some variation thereof. It's an (awful) element for any boot on-the-ground. Basically, everyone knows this.

I do not mention this with any vitriol... but please look it up so you may have a better understanding.

That is the only time to kneel and grieve. It happens in the field of battle...a 160+ yrs tradition. Otherwise you stand for every KIA-related ceremony, the flag always featured.

This is why you hear "we only kneel for the combat dead; we stand for the flag".

• Awesome! (+1) 1